Brand new Husky 350 wouldn't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnlaw

Reaction score
I just joined the site after browsing for a couple of weeks while evaluating a saw purchase. I’ve found this to be one of the most constructive discussion boards out there. After reading many threads and comments, visiting my local dealers and talking to people in my community, I decided on the Husky 350. We moved to this rural community last year from the city and have 12 wooded acres bordering the national forest which we’re going to build a house on next spring. The property was logged several years ago but part of it is very steep and rocky near a 100 foot waterfall on the land and that wasn’t logged heavily. I’ll be using the saw to fell trees ranging from 6” – 20” (and getting help on anything I don’t feel comfortable with) in order to partially clear a sight line to the waterfall. And for firewood, general cleanup, etc.

So that’s the background. Here’s the reason for my post, which is just to sound you experts out as much as anything: I picked up the saw last Friday from my dealer (longtime local store, town of 1800 people, solid guys). They set it up, filled it with fuel and oil and check started it once. I went to use it the next day and it wouldn’t start. Same thing yesterday. Pulled on it a hundred times it seems.

I brought it in today and the mechanic tested it and said it had insufficient compression. He said this was a first in his experience. I talked to the owner who was very apologetic and he ordered another one to replace it, no issue raised. But I must say it raises some doubt for me when a brand new saw right out of the box won’t start the first day I have it. I’m wondering if I ought to go with something else. Am I being overly concerned here? I’ve read plenty of positive comments on the saw and realize that with any mass production product there will be a lemon that escapes the factory from time to time.

Thanks very much. I look forward to “apprenticing” with you guys.

The only other thing from factory defect would be if they put straight gas in it which would burn up the ring and piston and cause weak compression.

Maccall, I just spent the last 30 seconds trying to squash that bug on my monitor screen. :dizzy:
mtnlaw, I have a friend that runs 2 of these saws and is very happy with both. I had an old one for about 12 months that had been abused beyond belief, piston was in backwards, full of water when i got it etc. Still proved itself and I only retired the old girl when the chain brake gave up the ghost. Mate has it for spare parts now.
I think you'll like the saw.

bloody insects

I have just spent the last couple of nights swatting insects in the house and on the screen and heer is another.......

Something sounds amiss here. I have never seen a Husky come out of the box without enough compression to run. I believe they test every saw.

It started at the time of sale? And the dealer had no problem getting you a new one? I suppose that it could happen to anyone, but I would guess that the initial fill up was from the wrong gas can. They are understandably embarassed to admit it, but they are doing the right thing getting you a new saw.

Something sounds amiss here. I have never seen a Husky come out of the box without enough compression to run. I believe they test every saw.

It started at the time of sale? And the dealer had no problem getting you a new one? I suppose that it could happen to anyone, but I would guess that the initial fill up was from the wrong gas can. They are understandably embarassed to admit it, but they are doing the right thing getting you a new saw.

That is exactly what I was thinking! If it had enough compression to start from dry at the dealer and allow them to set it up for high speed and idle than there should be no problem starting it the next time unless it had the wrong gas in it.

Back