Brand new MS381

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manwithav8

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, it was asked for MS381 pics in my other thread so here they are.

I have heard this saw isn't available in the mighty US of A.

The ms381 retails for a hefty $1845+gst (taxes if you will) here in New Zealand but I was lucky to pic this lovely up for $1495 total.

As you can see from the pics she hasn't seen any wood yet and unfortunately it might be a few weeks before she does too :-(

So here you go, the pics, and you can see we start em young over here lol. The saw matches my boys hair.

That's a good looking saw!

Ya got me. What is the reason for the 381?
Besides not needing one, anyway.;)

It's obviously a tweener, but where?
Strato?

Congrats on your new Saw!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Strato?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Need for the saw????? Firewood of course. Sick of using saws from work that are constantly tuned wrong, cutting chains worn or sharpened incorrect. This way it it's wrong I can only blame myself lol.

Tweener? HUH no idea what that means. Thinking something small but at 72cc and a 20" bar I didn't think it was that small haha

It is you I think have got me, I have no idea what half your post means lol

Thats pretty cool. I'd like to have one but those prices are insane. I feel sory for you guys, 660 is only 1100 bucks here.

Yeah mate $1500NZD works out to be $1150USD at the moment so it could be cheaper to import saws from you guys over there. Work a look in the future I guess.

Yeah mate $1500NZD works out to be $1150USD at the moment so it could be cheaper to import saws from you guys over there. Work a look in the future I guess.

It is bro, it is.
My dolmar 7900 should get here soon. Can't wait to check out life outside the NZ Stihl bubble and see if these saws deserve their great reputation.

Strato?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is the latest Brazilian made version of the 038 Mag.

Strato?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It is the latest Brazilian made version of the 038 Mag.

Positioned below and cheaper than the 441 here.
Cheaper by A$500, IIRC it's @ $1250 in Oz, the same price as the 260. (oops, and that includes GST @ 10%, and our poor Kiwi cuz's $ is worth 30% less than ours ATM. I just bought some Enduro fork seals from NZ yesterday )

Last edited:
It is bro, it is.
My dolmar 7900 should get here soon. Can't wait to check out life outside the NZ Stihl bubble and see if these saws deserve their great reputation.

Thought it might be but non the less I'm an impatient bugger lol. Even though I had no wood to put her in I wanted the saw in my shed lol.

Need for the saw????? Firewood of course. Sick of using saws from work that are constantly tuned wrong, cutting chains worn or sharpened incorrect. This way it it's wrong I can only blame myself lol.

Tweener? HUH no idea what that means. Thinking something small but at 72cc and a 20" bar I didn't think it was that small haha

It is you I think have got me, I have no idea what half your post means lol

A tweener means, it fits in between two other models. Like between the 60cc 361 and the 70cc 441. They also call the 361 a tweener between 50cc and 70cc. I'm a tweener kinda guy myself though. I've ran 440s and 038s and I cant tell really any difference in the way they cut. 038 makes up in torque what a 440 has over it in speed IMO.

A tweener means, it fits in between two other models. Like between the 60cc 361 and the 70cc 441. They also call the 361 a tweener between 50cc and 70cc. I'm a tweener kinda guy myself though. I've ran 440s and 038s and I cant tell really any difference in the way they cut. 038 makes up in torque what a 440 has over it in speed IMO.

Oh I see what ya mean. But the 381 is 72cc so doesn't really fit in the between 50 - 70cc or am I splitting hairs over here lol.

Oh I see what ya mean. But the 381 is 72cc so doesn't really fit in the between 50 - 70cc or am I splitting hairs over here lol.

Well, the 440/441 has a touch more displacement and power. It is splitting hairs though, saying a 440 is a faster saw. IMO, they are both great saws. I'd love to have a 381, Just to have one. :msp_smile:

The 361, which is the best all around saw Stihl makes IMO, is called a tweener by some on here because they would rather use two saws instead of one. I use two also, but my other one is a 660.;)

I think having a muffler modded tweener saw is the way to go. A muff mod 361 is so close to a 70cc saw, and does'nt weigh but a few ounces more than a 346 or 261.

Well, the 440/441 has a touch more displacement and power. It is splitting hairs though, saying a 440 is a faster saw. IMO, they are both great saws. I'd love to have a 381, Just to have one. :msp_smile:

The 361, which is the best all around saw Stihl makes IMO, is called a tweener by some on here because they would rather use two saws instead of one. I use two also, but my other one is a 660.;)

I think having a muffler modded tweener saw is the way to go. A muff mod 361 is so close to a 70cc saw, and does'nt weigh but a few ounces more than a 346 or 261.

aaahh right. I'm wrapped with the 381 but to be honest after finding this site the 361 would have probably been a better option being lighter and updated AV. Slightly more pricey than the 381 though. The 381 has a little more power too but doesn't rev as high/cut as fast but has the torque to keep on going.

I'm guessing if I do a Muffler Mod then the 381 will go that much better but will have to wait till after the first 8 hour service.

Geez listen too me, spouting off all this guff when I haven't even had it in the wood yet lol

and our poor Kiwi cuz's $ is worth 30% less than ours ATM.
In addition to our banana republic NZ dollar, we get hammered with 15% GST, and a lousy approx $400 GST exempt limit when bringing in saws, so we often can't avoid the grab snatch and take. Despite all this, some saws are still worth buying in USA, only b/c the stores here seem to think they can get away (or have no choice in the matter)charging so much for them. Kiwi's don't mind taking a few warranty risks, which are generally pretty low risks on good and best-of-class saws.

There was a movement across the ditch to lower your GST exempt limit to help your retail sector, as the govt was reviewing initiatives for this sector. Did that get off the tarmac? I hope for you guys it was shot down really quickly.

Kiwi's are generally pretty trustworthy too, if any good guys in the USA are considering helping one out by buying and sending to them. There's nothing much extra to complicate the shipping process either. It's just like a regular USA domestic parcel except there a small customs form to fill out. That's it, from what I can gather, so it pretty easy to send it 'down under'.

Last edited:
Thats a beautiful saw. Congrats. Im sure you will love it. I tell ya those Stihl's sure are pretty. :beauty3:

Latest posts

Back