Brand new to Chainsaws. Shoulda bought a Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really hate this thing, you can send it to me for proper disposal. I have a Husky 350 that I have been MILLING with (as well as everything else)! It aquits itself quite well for a 50 cc saw!
I think you just got the clutch cover off without releasing the brake. You can undo that by fitting the cover to the brake handle (it won't go on the clutch) enough to release the brake.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Easy to make a little tool is best for your application. I did that all the time on my 357. I just turned the saw on its side and press down as hard as I can with my palm over the gear section. Everytime it slips when you do that you are rounding the plastic teeth though. Eventually you need a new cover.:yes:

Not sure who makes it, google didn't come up with anything. But can easily make one.

We always look to easy . I see a lot of when it gets tough quit . I use to run stihls I could not kept them tight bolts would shack lose . I used spring instead of bolts I ran them to the bitter end . One day I seen a old man with a little rancher buzz a load of wood in time . At that point I wish I never bought into the stihl reputation .

Went to Lowe's today. They seem to sell the 450 Rancher there but the serial number on the display indicated they have the 2014 model.

Interesting that they displayed the 72 link 20" chain right under the 450 Rancher, with which it's not compatible.
8f0d8c220501939c470386d3e0271adb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OK I tried the Husky out this long weekend and I am getting a little less scared of it. Liking it a lot so far. Cut a full cord of wood and threw some of it on my lathe to make tops for the kids.

I might still get a Stihl because it has two bar retention bolts vs. the Husky having only one. Tensioning the chain is a bit of a black art, I got it so that only one top link was coming out of the bar when I pulled on it but it seemed stiff. When I revved up the saw, I saw what looked like smoke coming forward from the underside of the bar. It might have been bar oil, haven't tested it yet.

You can stihl go out and buy yourself a Stihl, which if you hang out here any lenght of time, you likely will. I'd get a good used 026 or MS361 myself to start with. Pro quality saws give you back what you paid over time, esp if you dump the fuel and let them idle dry before storing them. That is the greatest cause of saw failure I know of.

I have a 450 as well an I do like it. I hate that he fact that these Huskys with the brake and n the clutch cover have the issue described earlier often enough with experienced users so I can only imagine they are losing a bit of the homeowner market with such a shoddy design on that one component. I get that it has to be done that way because of the outboard clutch......and that brings up another thing.....

Tensioning the chain is a bit of a black art, I got it so that only one top link was coming out of the bar when I pulled on it but it seemed stiff. When I revved up the saw, I saw what looked like smoke coming forward from the underside of the bar. It might have been bar oil, haven't tested it yet.
Chain too tight!

OMG, don't call it a blade!! :eek:

There's a bar and a chain. No blade on a chainsaw.;)

Accentually calling it a blade is correct, that is what it is called in many places. The literal translation is a sword so a blade is not all that far off.

Klaus there are pros and cons to getting a saw online. Pro is they are often cheaper.. but there is no warranty, no dealer support that way. I sell a great many MS 291's at my shop and they do not boomerang. Depending on where you live you may get great support or none at all. In my experience as soon as Husqvarna and Echo sold out to the big box stores the quality and the service when down hill. But as some members have said it is a good homeowner saw.

I've got a 450 and I love the thing. Initially had the same problem with the clutch brake being engaged when I took the plate off. After fixing that and doing some cutting I downsized to a 16" bar from the 20" and now I feel like I can reasonably cut through anything I need to.

Latest posts

Back