Brand new to Chainsaws. Shoulda bought a Stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I tried the Husky out this long weekend and I am getting a little less scared of it. Liking it a lot so far. Cut a full cord of wood and threw some of it on my lathe to make tops for the kids.

I might still get a Stihl because it has two bar retention bolts vs. the Husky having only one. Tensioning the chain is a bit of a black art, I got it so that only one top link was coming out of the bar when I pulled on it but it seemed stiff. When I revved up the saw, I saw what looked like smoke coming forward from the underside of the bar. It might have been bar oil, haven't tested it yet.
Dont know why anyone hasnt said it yet, So I will. Making a statement as "should of bought a Stihl" only ignites the brand war and goes really quick off topic.
Klaus NO MATTER what brand of chain saw you buy, you need to learn the basics of safe operation and proper knowledge of what your using before you go and make statements of what you should of bought or you think the saw is broken. READ the operating manual and educate yourself while you still have two arms to hold it open.
Basic setup and proper adjustment of the saw is essential to longevity of the saw and safe results of use. We all started new and learned as we went but maybe seek out an experienced user who can show you safe pointers and techniques or you will learn the hard way.
Good luck, work slow, and avoid kick backs, there are tons of chainsaw operation videos on YT watch and learn and one day youll be looking back laughing at how little you knew as we all did. Good luck with your new SAW (not toy)

@jr27236 well said. I'm still a novice chainsaw user but I compare it to being a firefighter. I can have the best and most expensive gear, tools, and truck yet still get hurt or killed in a fire. Same goes for saw usage!

Latest posts

Back