Brave 22 ton vs Huskee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've pretty much given up on finding a used splitter locally, and my rotten elbows tell me I can't keep splitting tons at at a time by hand.
If buying new I've narrowed it down to either the Brave SR0622/Vertical / Horizontal Logsplitter or the Huskee 22ton at TSC.
There is no Brave dealer nearby that I know of, so if anyone has one, can you tell me if the tire gets in your way when splitting? The Ibeam seems more forward whereas the Huskee seems to hang off the rear more.
The price is comparable between the two. I'm looking for more at the ergonomic aspect.
The warranty seems a bit better on the Huskee, for what it's worth.

I have a husky 22 ton.

I like it. I have not had anything kill it yet. It allways splits well. I do however, not like that it needs to run wide open all the time. If you run it at half throttle, it doesn't have power enough to split. That and the gas tank is too small.

It is comfortable for me to run ( I am 6'3"), and the tire is a non issue with it.

I have yet to run mine vertically. I built a catch table on mine, to save the toes. You may want the same.

I've got an older brave 22 ton, I bought it used and abused, it had been backed over by a pickup. And I have say that after repairing it, I've had no problems at all with the splitter. The Briggs and Stratton engine, hasn't always been quite as bullet proof, but I can't really blame Brave for that. The hydraulics has always worked great, I split with a friend of mine that has a 30 something ton Speeco and it is extremely rare that I can't keep up with it. I also would have to say that I'm equally unimpressed with the Tecumseh on his Speeco. I'm not bashing Speeco, in fact from what I've read on here, they have great customer service and that is worth a lot. Hope this helps.

Huskee or the Brave

I've pretty much given up on finding a used splitter locally, and my rotten elbows tell me I can't keep splitting tons at at a time by hand.
If buying new I've narrowed it down to either the Brave SR0622/Vertical / Horizontal Logsplitter or the Huskee 22ton at TSC.
There is no Brave dealer nearby that I know of, so if anyone has one, can you tell me if the tire gets in your way when splitting? The Ibeam seems more forward whereas the Huskee seems to hang off the rear more.
The price is comparable between the two. I'm looking for more at the ergonomic aspect.
The warranty seems a bit better on the Huskee, for what it's worth.

I have The Huskee 22 ton. The tire is not an issue. The only complaint I have w/ my splitter is the Gas tank capacity. It has the Briggs n Stratton vertical shaft motor which is also used for homeowner mowers hence the capacity. The splitter itself has great splitting ability at full throttle. In the dead of winter while everything was frozen I split some green logs w/o a problem. I just bought a welder and I'm definitely going to weld up a table to save my shins n toes. A 5 lb piece of oak w/ sharp corners to the shin will make you see stars. This is why I shied away from the brave splitter click on this. www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/brave.html

Brave 22 Ton Log Splitter

I have the Brave 22 ton. If you search this forum I think you will find information on it.

I have been able to split anything I want.

It is made by Iron and Oak in Illinois. I am satisfied with the quality of build and the performance. Reading this forum I have seen several threads that question the quality of the newer Huskees. The older built ones may have been better quality.

I would encourage you to look at both the Brave and the Huskee before you buy.

If I were buying again today I would purchase another Brave.

I have The Huskee 22 ton. The tire is not an issue. The only complaint I have w/ my splitter is the Gas tank capacity. It has the Briggs n Stratton vertical shaft motor which is also used for homeowner mowers hence the capacity. The splitter itself has great splitting ability at full throttle. In the dead of winter while everything was frozen I split some green logs w/o a problem. I just bought a welder and I'm definitely going to weld up a table to save my shins n toes. A 5 lb piece of oak w/ sharp corners to the shin will make you see stars. This is why I shied away from the brave splitter click on this. www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2005/brave.html

The table I built, I drilled holes and bolted mine on. Makes it easier to change if it ever gets broken. That and it doesn't change the temper of the I-beam.

table

The table I built, I drilled holes and bolted mine on. Makes it easier to change if it ever gets broken. That and it doesn't change the temper of the I-beam.

Thanks that sounds better. I was just trying to find an excuse to use my welder. Stole it on Flea bay brand new Lincoln 3200 HD in the box. Guy going through a divorce dumped it. $300 bucks his loss my gain.:clap:

Thanks that sounds better. I was just trying to find an excuse to use my welder. Stole it on Flea bay brand new Lincoln 3200 HD in the box. Guy going through a divorce dumped it. $300 bucks his loss my gain.:clap:

I built mine from 1 and 1/2 angle iron for the frame. 18inch square. I used rerod spaced 4 inches apart, for the top. Four bolts and mine can hold 500# and not flex.

I have a 22 ton Huskee. I am 6' 1'' and it fits me great. I always wonder how guys get along with those splitters that are 1 foot off of the ground. It splits great and I haven't had any problems with it not being powerful enough. I have only used it vertical a couple of times and the only complaint is the foot is too small to catch the log easily sometimes. I am going to add a table when the weather is more agreeable. I was thinking of making mine so it is pin on or bolt, but i would have to either cut holes/slots in the web or weld a catch to it. Either way I don't think the strength will be compromised.

Also, running the motor at half throttle is not recommended. It is designed for optimal performance at 3600 rpm. If you run it lower, lubrication can become a issue as they use a splasher to lube, not an oil pump. Noise isn't an issue with proper ear protection. My pump is louder than the engine anyway. I think that I will change the filter to the return instead of the suction side to see if that helps.

How big is the tank on the Brave vs the Huskee? I'm guessing it's practically the same engine so may have the same capacity.
The Brave runs wide open I would assume also?
I'll contact the company to see if there is a local dealer so I can get a close up look.

Their site says delivery included. Not sure if that includes residential or not though.

I have the Brave 22 ton. If you search this forum I think you will find information on it.

I have been able to split anything I want.

It is made by Iron and Oak in Illinois. I am satisfied with the quality of build and the performance. Reading this forum I have seen several threads that question the quality of the newer Huskees. The older built ones may have been better quality.

I would encourage you to look at both the Brave and the Huskee before you buy.

If I were buying again today I would purchase another Brave.

I would agree if you want a top quality splitter by a company that stands behind its products choose brave or iron and oak. I own a 4003 and that thing is built, and it is built with quality american componants by quality american workers, top quality. http://www.logsplitters-ironoak.com...ategory&categoryid=2&parentid=103&searchtext= this is an awesome splitter!

I love my 22ton Iron and Oak Fast Cycle. No problems at all with it and it will split oak crotches no problem. I added a log table that I bought off ebay and it makes horizontal splitting much easier. The vertical option is used on the big rounds. Best of all I bought it from my local saw shop, so kept the money local and I know they will support me.

I bought the Iron and Oak after using my neighbor's identical splitter. His is five years old and has never had a problem with it.

Dok

I have nothing but good things to say about the 22ton Huskee I bought 3 years ago. And for the price you can't go wrong. I picked mine up for $900 from the local TSC (with 10% off coupon). Speeco has excellent customer service if you ever have an issue. (Deal with Speeco NOT Tractor Supply)

Once my warranty ran out, I made several "comfort" mods and have been really happy with the results. Fine machine in stock form, now it's just plain fun to operate. I split about 12-13 cords per year for reference. Most of that is Oak and Hickory. The rest is a mix of maple, poplar, elm, and even the occasional pine.

I have nothing but good things to say about the 22ton Huskee I bought 3 years ago. And for the price you can't go wrong. I picked mine up for $900 from the local TSC (with 10% off coupon). Speeco has excellent customer service if you ever have an issue. (Deal with Speeco NOT Tractor Supply)

Once my warranty ran out, I made several "comfort" mods and have been really happy with the results. Fine machine in stock form, now it's just plain fun to operate. I split about 12-13 cords per year for reference. Most of that is Oak and Hickory. The rest is a mix of maple, poplar, elm, and even the occasional pine.

I've seen a 10% coupon for online stuff but never anything for in store. Do the honor the discount in store?
There is an implement dealer not far away that has a couple used splitters. Probably not really what I want, but if the price was right I'd make do. Gonna check it out Monday.

I have a Brave 26ton with the 8HP Briggs "Intek" engine. I have been well pleased and even though I am a Honda fan I have been well pleased with the Intek engine on this unit. It appears to be a copy of a Honda engine. It starts easy and after 3 years I have been well pleased with the performance of this splitter. I have looked at the biggest TSC (Speeco/Huskee) splitters and I like the horizontal engine/pump arrangement. I did not want a splitter with the pump hanging below the deck as it seems a poor location that is very prone to damage.

I've seen a 10% coupon for online stuff but never anything for in store. Do the honor the discount in store?
There is an implement dealer not far away that has a couple used splitters. Probably not really what I want, but if the price was right I'd make do. Gonna check it out Monday.

I got the 10% off by applying for the TSC credit card (at the store). Bought the splitter with the card, paid off balance when first statement arrived, and then cancelled the card. Sounds like a lot of hassle for $100 bucks, but it was easy.

Drove to three implement dealers today. Not a single one sold splitters or even had any used ones. Figured screw it we're going to TSC. Drove the 25 miles out there. Parking lot was empty! Turns out nobody was there but clerks. The Huskee 22ton was sitting outside and turns out it was the only one they had. It had probably been cycled a couple times, few scratches here n there.
I asked if they'd honor the $100 off that is available online and she said sure no problem. Never hurts to ask! So we loaded it up with the forklift ( wasn't towing it 35 miles) and headed back home.
Didn't have a chance to fire it up but I'm glad I finally did it.
I have over a cord in the driveway waiting for me to split, and probably another 3 or 4 that I'm working on bringing home.

HOpefully my experience matches up with everyone elses!

Which TSC did you go to? I'm on the west coast of WI and origionally went to the one in Viroqua to get mine but they didn't have one so I drove over to Tomah and got it. I was going to have them load with the forklift too but the bozo who worked there didn't know what he was doing and tried to lift it with the fork right under the hydraulic fittings! :jawdrop:
I said to hell with it and towed it 40 miles. Only way I could see how well it was towing or bouncing behind the pickup was to watch the shadow on the pavement. I won't tow it again unless I remove the tailgate.

Which TSC did you go to? I'm on the west coast of WI and origionally went to the one in Viroqua to get mine but they didn't have one so I drove over to Tomah and got it. I was going to have them load with the forklift too but the bozo who worked there didn't know what he was doing and tried to lift it with the fork right under the hydraulic fittings! :jawdrop:
I said to hell with it and towed it 40 miles. Only way I could see how well it was towing or bouncing behind the pickup was to watch the shadow on the pavement. I won't tow it again unless I remove the tailgate.

I went to New Holstein. We loaded it by putting the forks under the axle/tank. I just made sure to position it so nothing was getting touched, and I lifted the tongue as balance to load it.

Split a tank full today. That creates quite a pile - not sure why anyone would think the tank isn't big enough. Especially doing it solo. Slowed down a couple times but it was mostly ash with some popple and box elder so it split pretty easy for the most part.

Latest posts

Back