Break Free CLP on carbon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to modding the muffler on my Husky 55. When I pulled the muff, the look of the piston scared me a bit. It looked badly scored. Anyway I pulled the jug, and the problem was carbon build-up on the exhaust port.
I was out of penetrant, so I used some Break Free CLP, which is an all purpose firearm cleaner/lube/preservative. I just sprayed and waited about an hour. It cleaned up really easily with a wire cup on a dremel tool. This is what I will use from now on!
The piston and rings didn't turn out to be so bad after all. all of the scoring came off the piston easily with some 320/600 wet/dry, and even the ring just needed the carbon ridges removed top and bottom and a light touch with the wet and dry. I removed the baffles, hogged out the outlet some, and removed the tabs that obstruct the deflector..that seems to be enough.
Just wanted to share about the CLP.

The 'muffler mod' I did on my 55 that helped was sticking a scrench in the exhaust outlet, bending it and flaring it, and in the meantime partially breaking loose the baffle. Seemed to be about perfect, and the whole ordeal took less than a min.

:givebeer:

The baffle is only held in with 4 spot welded tabs...I just clamped on vicee grips and worked it back and forth, came right out. I just hogged out the larger port some so it felt like I'd done something.

Back