Breaking in a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the Stihl 046 Owner's Manual, page 35. It's identical to what Farmer Steve posted. Full-throttle off load for any extended period of time is not a good idea. Heck, I don't even do that to any of my saws -- short bursts, yes, but extended WOT off load is a no-no. I'm not sure anyone recommends that.

One of my friends wore out the engine on his dad's saw last year. I watched him run another one for awhile. He was going WOT for about 5 seconds before he dropped it onto the log. To me, that seemed like an eternity. If you multiply that times 1000 logs, that's 5000 seconds at WOT off load or one hour and 23 minutes. Not only did it waste fuel, it eventually ate up the engine.

My brother in law does that too. His stuff always is mess up in one way or another. He also thinks he is a chemist mixing all kinds of fuel and oil additives. He even stuck a dremel burr in the exhuste with the engine assembled trying to "port" his saw like me. It did not turn out well. I tor it down removing all the chips and it did run well and I know he raised it about .100 it sure lost some compression too but for limb work it was fun. People do crazy things

Latest posts

Back