Bringing back an 034AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This being my first post, try to take it easy on me.

I was given an old 034AV EQ by a guy who told me it was "shot." He said there was something majorly wrong with it, so I figured it might be interesting to take it apart...cause that's how I am...

What I've found so far is that the plastic oiler gear was stripped and the oiler piston was gunked up, but that's about it! It was missing the clutch drum, so after about $75 in parts it runs and oils again. I put a used rim drive drum and bar and chain on it and have been cleaning all the gunk out. Bought a carb rebuild kit today so hopefully it will run even better.

I'll post a couple pics if anyone seems interested.

One question I have is about the Zama carb. It has two tiny holes on the engine side of the venturi and I haven't figured out if I need to clean them or what the are for. I'm guessing they are idle jets?

Cool site here, glad I found it. :cheers:

Welcome to AS. Got some bad news for you though,that saw is an old ,dirty, worn out piece of junk that will be nothing but torture forever. Since you are new here, I am willing to help you with your problem. Simply box up that dirty :censored: and send it to me and your worries are over forever. :clap: Seriously, you have a good saw,and before long,if you stay on here,you will have at least a dozen more to keep it company. OH YEAH...we need pics...of course we're interested

Yes, thanks - maybe I'll send ya a few bucks for taking it off my hands :laugh:

I had just sold my 290 on Craigslist and bought an almost new MS361 when this guy told me about this one. Can't hurt to have a backup saw, right? I see some of you have MORE THAN ONE BACKUP SAW!:jawdrop:

Anybody want to explain to me what the electronic quickstop is all about? Couldn't find any info on it anywhere.

Also, it's a moot point since I bought the kit, but can the diaphragms in the carb get stretched to the point of not working well? I'll post a pic of it.

all that means is it has an electronic ignition instead of points and condenser style like say an 031. unless the 031 says electronic quickstop its a points type.

OK, thanks - that makes sense. You don't get the couple extra sparks as it winds down?

Yes,electronic is electronic ignition, Quickstop means your saw is equipped with a chainbrake. :greenchainsaw:

This being my first post, try to take it easy on me.

I was given an old 034AV EQ by a guy who told me it was "shot." He said there was something majorly wrong with it, so I figured it might be interesting to take it apart...cause that's how I am...

What I've found so far is that the plastic oiler gear was stripped and the oiler piston was gunked up, but that's about it! It was missing the clutch drum, so after about $75 in parts it runs and oils again. I put a used rim drive drum and bar and chain on it and have been cleaning all the gunk out. Bought a carb rebuild kit today so hopefully it will run even better.

I'll post a couple pics if anyone seems interested.

One question I have is about the Zama carb. It has two tiny holes on the engine side of the venturi and I haven't figured out if I need to clean them or what the are for. I'm guessing they are idle jets?

Cool site here, glad I found it. :cheers:

Yep, that saw is SHOT! You'd better send it to me for proper disposal! LoL!

By the way, we ALWAYS welcome photos of saws here... and Welcome to the site!

The holes you describe are idle jets. Take out the low speed screw and spray carb cleaner in the hole, if it comes out the small holes in the venturi you are good to go. If the the holes are plugged up you will need to remove the welch plug in the carb during the rebuild and try to blow the holes out with air/ carb cleaner.

Carb Cleaner?

The holes you describe are idle jets. Take out the low speed screw and spray carb cleaner in the hole, if it comes out the small holes in the venturi you are good to go. If the the holes are plugged up you will need to remove the welch plug in the carb during the rebuild and try to blow the holes out with air/ carb cleaner.

I've read somewhere where someone said don't use carb cleaner as it will damage internal components...

they said use brake cleaner....

anyone else heard this?

It's not too much to look at, but I'll post a pic of the saw tonight.

Did the carb rebuild kit last night and took the welch plug out and cleaned the idle jet holes. One of them did have gunk in it. Here's a couple pics of the old pump diaphragm and metering diaphragm (not sure exactly what this one does). They both look a little saggy and tired... The new pump diaphragm was a black rubbery material.

Haven't tuned it 100% yet, but it idles great, which it didn't before he carb rebuild!

Finally a couple pics:

Saws001small.jpg

Saws002small.jpg

Saws005small.jpg

I just recently sold my 034 that was ported and muffler modded. I loved that saw. It was light weight and had tons of power. The only reason I sold it was to get some cash for an 066. Steve:chainsawguy:

So, this thing runs great! Got a log load delivered and tore into it over the weekend. Cuts fast with a 16" bar on it.

So I recently noticed that the clutch drum was VERY loose and discovered the crankshaft was worn down badly. Very strange problem that indicates that it was run after something went south like the clutch maybe or the drum breaking. Anyways, Instead of buying a new crank, I picked up a complete bottom end from a member here and swapped it out with mine. It was an older model 034 but, the case was similar enough that 99% of it was the same. The piston, jug and even rings were perfect looking so I cleaned them and reused them. All I did is get a new gasket.

An odd thing I noticed is that the older model 034 had a side chain tensioner and later it went to the front. Anybody know why they did that? I drilled my clutch cover and I like the side tensioner much better. bonus!

I'll get some pictures of the saw later.

That's what I originally thought. I'll check the two serial numbers, but if I remember the one with the front tensioner was a 22-something and the one with the side was a 18-something.

The one with the side tensioner has a two-piece brake cover while the front tensioner has a single piece brake cover.

Somebody straighten me out!

OK, so in a Stihl parts list do the parts with an asterisk mean that they are the new part replacing the old one or the other way around?

Latest posts

Back