broken saw starter rope will not pull totally bummed out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just finished my last cut on my logs in the yard, my wife came out to tell me it was time to eat, stopped the saw and tried to restart it the rope will not pull at all, I just bought the stihl 390 a couple months ago after a 290 had no compression at all burned a piston. Is this the death of another saw. I can not believe it.

yes, it was good high octane gas, used the stihl oil, put in 1.99 gallons of gas so hope fully that is not the problem. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Then I will get the news. I can not believe it, I hope it is under warranty. My first stihl was all messed up it took me two dealers before I got warranty work done. I have really focused on caring for this saw so I hope it works out. My question is could it be the clutch or fly wheel or something besides a dead saw.

If you used freshly mixed gas at the proper ratio then it didn't seize because of that. Take it back to the dealer if it's still under warranty. I suppose something could have gotten jammed next to the flywheel or something but it sounds seized. The way to tell if the saw is toast is to pull the muffler and look inside, you'll be able to tell if it's burnt up.

I just went out and took off the muffler, the screen in still brand new, the piston looks silver, not discolored and smooth no visible scoring of any kind, I know I just have to wait and see but this would be my second saw this year that was toast so I am anxious.

Pull the recoil housing off.. That will eliminate a few options there right off the bat.

These things happen Orion...from the info provided I doubt it's anything serious. You could have let go of the cord at the perfect time and it flipped itself inside...saw that happen once.

Take the side cover off and investigate further...maybe one of the clutch dogs are jammed up. So you start by either untying the knot at the grab handle or cutting it.

You can do this Orion...trust me.

Yeah, take both the clutch and recoil cover off and look for anything amiss. See if the flywheel will turn with the recoil cover off. Come to think of it, this is highly doubtful, but maybe the coil is loose and touching on the flywheel- again, I doubt it would cause this, but check anyways.

my 290 did that once, the plastic pawl that grips the flywheel came out and got stuck between the flywheel and the starter cover..pull it off and look, its only 4 screws. could also be a chunk of wood stuck in there too..

^both my 272's start with the chain brake on ..I don't do that on purpose but it happens.

So there are saws that won't start with the break on I take it...HUH! I don't see any safety advantage in that...just say'en.

It couldn't be the chainbrake is locked up? Too easy?

For reasons I won't go into now (read I did something stupid). I was on e-bay looking for 017 and 028WB parts saws. Bid on a 017 locked up saw and got it for $40. When it arrived sure enough could not pull the starting cord. Pulled the saw down found the brake tripped. Put it back together, new gas and oil and I have a fine running 017. Now to get the parts for my old one.

Makes no sense at all.

For reasons I won't go into now (read I did something stupid). I was on e-bay looking for 017 and 028WB parts saws. Bid on a 017 locked up saw and got it for $40. When it arrived sure enough could not pull the starting cord. Pulled the saw down found the brake tripped. Put it back together, new gas and oil and I have a fine running 017. Now to get the parts for my old one.

The brake is on the clutch drum. The engine should turn over freely.
Unless the clutch is totally fubared.

if it's a new saw, and still under warranty, don't even remove a screw. take it back then there is no way they could turn round and say you did the damage.

I took the saw into the Stihl dealer two days ago so now it just a waiting game to see what happens. He did say it would probably be under warranty, he also asked about the gas. I will post the outcome to the repair.

I called today, apparently a piece of the decompression button a plunger that forces the button back up came off and was jamming to the piston, it under warranty and no problems. That is a relief

Latest posts

Back