Brother got the wrong gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruff4531

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This weekend while cutting some firewood, I sent my brother to get some gas to for the chainsaws. I usually run unleaded 98 octane non ethanol gas and mix with high performance mix.

But this weekend my brother picked up 110 octane leaded racing fuel and mixed it with the mix, and didn't bother telling me until the end of the day after we ran a couple tanks through each saw.

Did using this gas potentially ruin the saws?

What types of things should I be looking for as a result of using this gas? (ie fouled plugs, carb cleaning, carb adjustment)

Is it possible that no harm will come from using this gas?

Not a Chainsaw tech but a couple of things come to mind:

Did the saws sound like they were "winding" out a little more than usual?

I would probably dump the remainder and mix a fresh batch of unleaded. The saws are probably okay. The fumes probably didn't help you out much, though.

Others will likely be along that are way more qualified.

Your brother did you a favor. Your saw will run cooler. There is no harm to running more octane than required. The only negative is the increased cost. You don't need an adjustment and you don't need to worry. The lead additive (tetraethelead) is to help obtain the higher octane and it can act as a slight lubricant in some cases. No problem there either. The lead does not harm seals, bearings or pistons etc. Mike

Only possible problem I can see is does your saw have green fuel caps?
Green caps indicative of catalytic muffler, leaded fuel WILL cause a problem if so equipped.

yeah lead was used to lubricate the valve seats before cars had hardened seats,

I would only be concered with buildup on top of the piston. Pull the plug and look down there with a flashlight, or pull the muffler and look there. Carbon buildup can lead to scoring, you would want to pull the jugs and decarbon the piston and jug. Not a big deal.

fwiw, I run a Lead substitute in my 4 stroke gokart engines...a little extra lube ya know, and Ive got the heads off all the time so carbon buildup isnt a problem.

You were probably giving up a good bit of power running the 110 octane though.

Yes it is possible that no harm will come from it. Octane is just something to prevent engine knock, not a "power enhancer" like so many think it is. 100 octane has the same BTU's of energy as 87 octane.

I would dilute it with your ordinary mix if you still have any of the mix on hand.

This weekend while cutting some firewood, I sent my brother to get some gas to for the chainsaws. I usually run unleaded 98 octane non ethanol gas and mix with high performance mix.

But this weekend my brother picked up 110 octane leaded racing fuel and mixed it with the mix, and didn't bother telling me until the end of the day after we ran a couple tanks through each saw.

Did using this gas potentially ruin the saws?

What types of things should I be looking for as a result of using this gas? (ie fouled plugs, carb cleaning, carb adjustment)

Is it possible that no harm will come from using this gas?

Your brother got this at the local gas pumps?? 98 or 110 octane is only available through race outlets here at the regular pumps we have a choice of 87, 89, or 91

Here is the fuel we race the CVRA 358 modified on.
Supreme

A true high performance leaded racing fuel designed for sophisticated race engines which routinely function between 7,000 – 10,000 rpm. Sunoco Supreme™ is trusted by some of the most respected names in motorsports. It is specially formulated with low sensitivity to achieve a high motor octane value for increased protection against detonation under severe operating conditions. Sunoco Supreme is recommended for two- and four-stroke applications up to 15:1 compression ratio.

FUEL PROPERTY
TYPICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Specific Gravity
Antiknock Index (R+M)/2
RON, Research Octane
MON, Motor Octane
Reid Vapor Pressure
Distillation, ○F
Initial Boiling Point
10% Evaporation
50% Evaporation
90% Evaporation
Final Boiling Point
Leaded
Yes
For Off-Road Use Only
Color
Blue
Oxygen, Wt%
0.0%
Dielectric Constant

Scott

"Octane" is kind of misleading now days.At one time isoctane was an ingrediant or component of gasoline but not for some time.The lead was tetraethyl,an antiknock additive that had a secondary benifit of lubrication for the ex valve in a 4 cycle,also a part of history in normal pump gas.

The octane,is actually an octane rating of which several methods are used to derive the formula,Google it.

Back a few decades ago some of the motcross racers would use high octane aviation fuel in their 2 stroke motorcycles.I see all positive effects on a high performance chainsaw from what I know or think I know about octane and lead unless you have a catalac converter as previously mentioned.

He sure did!

"Your brother got this at the local gas pumps?? 98 or 110 octane is only available through race outlets here at the regular pumps we have a choice of 87, 89, or 91"

Yes, the racing fuel is sold at the same station and same pump as 87,89,and 91, there are different hoses for racing fuel and regular gas. (Although there is a sticker that says "Not for on road vehicles" above the race fuel hose) The 98 octane is sold at the on local Cito Station and the 110 leaded is sold at a different local Cito station. Although both local they are not in the same town.

As for how the saws ran, I didn't notice any change in performance or smell of the exhaust, also none of my saws have green caps so the catalytic muffler wouldn't be a problem.

I will mix the little I have left with regular unleaded and check for carbon build up tonight.

Thanks for the help

We have unleaded 100 octane and leaded 110 from regular pumps here too. Run it and use it up. Also unleaded at 2 different stations(94,93,92),89,87 . I have tried 110 in woods port saws and didn't see no advantage in it in timed cuts and just using for cutting. Just cost a little more.

Last edited:
Harmless.

About the only thing you might notice different, is it may turn your spark arrestor screen (if so equipped) white from what I assume is from the tetraethyl lead additive.

We have unleaded 100 octane and leaded 110 from regular pumps here too. Run it and use it up. Also unleaded at 2 different stations(94,93,92),89,87 . I have tried 110 in woods port saws and didn't see no advantage in it in timed cuts and just using for cutting. Just cost a little more.

How much is a little more?

A gulf station two miles from my house sells 110 and it's 7.50/gal.. Too steep for me.

IT didn't hurt anything. If you want to look for carbon look at the arrester screen. Not really worth looking for though.

Just so you know, "high octane" in no way means more explosive. Its the reverse, higher octaine fuels are designed to take more heat and pressure to prevent pre-detonation. Its reason being that extremely high compression motors tend to "diesel" with low octane fuels. The fuel being leaded just causes the ignition of the fuel charge to be cooler, not really a bad side affect.

Don't give your brother a hard time, he didn't do anything wrong except waste some $:hmm3grin2orange:

How much is a little more?

A gulf station two miles from my house sells 110 and it's 7.50/gal.. Too steep for me.

110 2 different places = $4.79 and $5.39 compared to 93 = $3.29 and 94 = $3.49.

Last edited:
100 octane unleaded (no ethanol) is available here, $6.00 a gallon last I bought.

Romeo I owe you a little pos rep... your answer is right on target! I just didn't feel like getting into discussion about octane.
A question for you. Is there any real benefit except to the oil companies by buying a higher grade of gasoline than is recommended by your vehicle owner's manual?

Last edited:
As for leaded gasoline, I consider it filthy stuff. While I suspect no harm in using it on a short term basis I believe engines, esp 4-cycle auto engines, are lasting longer than ever due (in part) to lead free gasoline.

Oil and spark plug life are two things that benefit from no lead in the fuel. My father sold cars in the 60's and told me the high compression Chevy 327 engines that burned 'premium' gasoline would eat spark plugs every 10K miles! The last set of plugs I took out of my pickup had 80K plus on them!

Latest posts

Back