Brrrrrrr!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was quoted 11,500 for geo install but if it's going to suck that much juice the return on the system is to far out to offset propane. I'm always going to burn wood even if i get geo. I just still enjoy cutting/splittint.

Just my experience with geo. My looped are horizontal and where installed 5' down. Have a water furnace geo unit, which is suppose to be good, but it always felt cold in our house with just the geo going. Some people love geo though. I installed a owb because I have an all electric house and the electric co op I belong to has been preaching to its members for years that rates are going to keep going up and potentially sky rocket if the administration and epa get their way and continue to harass coal fired electric plants.

Epa has their hands in to many things some good some bad. Have killed a ton of jobs to make us "cleaner" while the rest of the wold could care less. Double edged sword. I have family out of work from coal mines in wv. I also work for NS railroad and coal was our big $. I say roll coal! Update the plants for cleaner tech and bring jobs back online!

I could not find such specific data for my county, but here's a breakdown from a nearby town. Not much at all comes from coal here. It depends where you live.

http://www.cityofcentralia.com/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=20

Having lived elsewhere, I will say that our power is cheap. That's a good thing. Turnkey is an exception, but firewood can be hard to come by on the eastside of the state.

46 here this morning.

Strip heat with geo should not run if properly designed and installed. My strip heat breakers are turned off. I burn wood because I like to cut and burn, not because I have to. We have geo in many other applications and do not run strip heat or supplement.

[QUOTE="slowp, post: 5217282, member: 13863"
Having lived elsewhere, I will say that our power is cheap. That's a good thing. Turnkey is an exception, but firewood can be hard to come by on the eastside of the state.

46 here this morning.[/QUOTE]

Well...It isn't hard to find if one isn't a "wood snob". Willow is available in abundance within easy driving range of any house. Yep, bottom of the charts but it is wood and it burns. I heated this house with it for over 30 years until the locust borer did me a favor by killing off Black Locust by the drove about 15 years ago.

Still cutting willow (got more B.L. in the stacks than I will ever burn) to mix in with the locust and sell some ($120/cord)

Harry K

People actually buy willow for firewood? Willow is usually free down here with black cottonwood. I do not process or burn either any more. Was not aware that the BL was killed off here by the borer. Still old stands of BL here where towns once were in the Cascades, but nothing else is left of some of those towns any more. I get BL mainly from the city from arborist jobs here. Most people do not know what it is.

I could not find such specific data for my county, but here's a breakdown from a nearby town. Not much at all comes from coal here. It depends where you live.
You're a fool... those numbers in your link are nothing but whitewash.

Centralia City Light is tied into the larger grid (Bonneville Power Administration)... Centralia City Light is just one of many electric producers for Bonneville Power Administration. If Centralia City Light wasn't tied into the larger grid they couldn't produce enough power to supply it's customers block... without Bonneville Power Administration the Centralia customer block would not have power. They get those bogus numbers by subtracting the amount of power Centralia produces from the amount billed to customers, and then take whats left to come up with stupid feel-good tree-hugger numbers.

The plain truth is the Centralia customer block gets it's power comes from the Bonneville Power Administration just like everyone else on the larger grid... but it just so happens that Centralia is also one of the producers for Bonneville Power.
The plain truth is that the percentage of hydro ain't 90.92% like your link states (that's just tree-hugger whitewash)...
The 12 month average is only 40.8%... the combustion of coal and and other fossil fuels (including cogeneration) is 35.2% ‼ You're gettin' the same friggin' dirty power as everyone else in the PNW... only a fool would buy into that tree-hugger whitewash BS.

Here's your link... read all about it...

http://www.bpa.gov/news/pubs/GeneralPublications/gi-BPA-Facts.pdf

You're a fool... those numbers in your link are nothing but whitewash.

Centralia City Light is tied into the larger grid (Bonneville Power Administration)... Centralia City Light is just one of many electric producers for Bonneville Power Administration. If Centralia City Light wasn't tied into the larger grid they couldn't produce enough power to supply it's customers block... without Bonneville Power Administration the Centralia customer block would not have power. They get those bogus numbers by subtracting the amount of power Centralia produces from the amount billed to customers, and then take whats left to come up with stupid feel-good tree-hugger numbers.

The plain truth is the Centralia customer block gets it's power comes from the Bonneville Power Administration just like everyone else on the larger grid... but it just so happens that Centralia is also one of the producers for Bonneville Power.
The plain truth is that the percentage of hydro ain't 90.92% like your link states (that's just tree-hugger whitewash)...
The 12 month average is only 40.8%... the combustion of coal and and other fossil fuels (including cogeneration) is 35.2% ‼ You're gettin' the same friggin' dirty power as everyone else in the PNW... only a fool would buy into that tree-hugger whitewash BS.

Here's your link... read all about it...

http://www.bpa.gov/news/pubs/GeneralPublications/gi-BPA-Facts.pdf

and yet,,she mouths off in other threads, of her great knowledge and impotence!!!!! whooooeeee!!!!!! thanks, spidey.......

Is that a Yukon wolf? My cat is bigger...
Lol, Henry, the lil basturd is Jack and he runs off bears, wolves and coyotes. Even an eagle tried to get him, but he always comes home for some unknown reason. The ravens chased away the eagle . Ravens are guardians.

MV5BMTg5NjMyNzQ0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjIyNDQ5._V1__SX1299_SY668_.jpg

Lol, Henry, the lil basturd is Jack and he runs off bears, wolves and coyotes. Even an eagle tried to get him, but he always comes home for some unknown reason. The ravens chased away the eagle . Ravens are guardians.

Ravens are good. A murder of crows have moved in here though displacing most of them. Canada geese have arrived down at my neighbors ponds. A month early, moving north already. Noisy honkers. No turkey vultures yet though. They come up from California in summer. Coyotes have been howling at night, mostly in the national forest lands but a perimeter of neighbor's dogs (all labs) keeps them away from here. If any venture onto my property, they are met with a .223 or a 30-30. The wolves are moving into Oregon from Idaho and should wipe out most of the coyotes. Bears are sleeping now, but my brother saw one up the road a piece last fall. Only 'smaller' black bears here, no monster Grizzlies.

Latest posts

Back