Bucket trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it fair to say that the versatility of a spiderlift makes up for the time spent in loading/unloading compared to a bucket truck? I'm toying with the idea of buying a spiderlift, a friend of mine operates a commercial (high rise) window cleaning company, if he says he has the need to hire the unit regularly it will likely tip me over the edge...

In my opinion, the fact that you need a second truck and driver outweighs the advantages if you are deciding between a bucket and spiderlift. Jif your operation is large enough, i would say a spiderlift would make a good compliment to a bucket.

You might consider a crane first. If added productivity is the main goal.
There are alot of guys with buckets around here but also guys with just a crane, chipper, and chip truck. (At least 3 I can think of with no bucket at all. )
Crane can put you in the tree, lift out large sections at a time, place limbs in the chipper, and load the logs.
I've sat & watched some guys that ride up on the crane for each cut and then come back down between cuts to help chip or just be lazy.
A bucket trucks only function is to lift a man/ replace climber.
A crane can play 2-3 different roles.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the fact that you need a second truck and driver outweighs the advantages if you are deciding between a bucket and spiderlift. Jif your operation is large enough, i would say a spiderlift would make a good compliment to a bucket.

It would make a nice compliment after the bucket is paid for,,not in place of. I guess being old school and spider's were not around, climber's could make good money back in the day, but a bucket is alway's a plus. A guy thinking about buying a spider either has money to spend or job's that he believe's would come in more profitable with a spider,,,may be because of a weak climber or climber's. Not to be harsh, but if I was using one, I would be too worried about protecting it from damage when rigging or serious work carried out above it. How many buckets have had limbs or stuff hit the cage? Just my opinion.
Jeff

It would make a nice compliment after the bucket is paid for,,not in place of. I guess being old school and spider's were not around, climber's could make good money back in the day, but a bucket is alway's a plus. A guy thinking about buying a spider either has money to spend or job's that he believe's would come in more profitable with a spider,,,may be because of a weak climber or climber's. Not to be harsh, but if I was using one, I would be too worried about protecting it from damage when rigging or serious work carried out above it. How many buckets have had limbs or stuff hit the cage? Just my opinion.
Jeff
Ask Eddie....didn't he put a log through his cage

Buckets are great for front yard trees but only useful as a chip truck for back yard trees. Sometimes parts of a tree (side facing away from road, interior) cannot be reached by the bucket and need to climbed anyway. Buckets are sometimes the only way to remove hazardous trees without a crane. Downsides are most require a CDL to drive, and the extra maintenance and insurance. I hadn't heard of a pony motor being fitted on bucket truck but it sounds like a good idea since no one can hear me over the roaring Cummins.

I hadn't heard of a pony motor being fitted on bucket truck but it sounds like a good idea since no one can hear me over the roaring Cummins.

Purchase some headsets and the yelling over the motor will be a thing of the past. I've had Peltor ProComm sets in the past and recently switched to Senas.
Great for increasing safety on the job site and improving the professional image (no more yelling) of your company.

juniors
Buckets are great for front yard trees but only useful as a chip truck for back yard trees. Sometimes parts of a tree (side facing away from road, interior) cannot be reached by the bucket and need to climbed anyway. Buckets are sometimes the only way to remove hazardous trees without a crane. Downsides are most require a CDL to drive, and the extra maintenance and insurance. I hadn't heard of a pony motor being fitted on bucket truck but it sounds like a good idea since no one can hear me over the roaring Cummins.[/QUOT

Mine has a 3 cylinder kubota, fairly quiet and saves a ton a fuel. Also great on steep inclines so you can leave the truck in gear. I have a hard time trusting just chalks and the e brake.

You might consider a crane first. If added productivity is the main goal.
There are alot of guys with buckets around here but also guys with just a crane, chipper, and chip truck. (At least 3 I can think of with no bucket at all. )
Crane can put you in the tree, lift out large sections at a time, place limbs in the chipper, and load the logs.
I've sat & watched some guys that ride up on the crane for each cut and then come back down between cuts to help chip or just be lazy.
A bucket trucks only function is to lift a man/ replace climber.
A crane can play 2-3 different roles.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

A crane is a definite one up on a bucket. But it had 3 to 6 times the overhead. Extra insurance, hoist license, extra axle, etc. Ilike my bucket a bunch but I'm not sure if I'd trade it for the increased productivity and overhead.

Back