buckingham gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking at some new gaffs to replace my bell pole spikes. I am looking at the buckingham gaffs but see some differences between the diferent models. The replacible ones are 2 1/2 inches, the solid ones are 3 1/2 inches. I like the longer ones but they are not replacible. Will they eventually ware out? Can i get 3 1/2 inch spikes for the replacible gaffs? Are bird toe spikes better? I need to get some soon before I kill myself with the 1 1/2 inch spikes I have now. Thanks :)

They won't wear out that quick if ya don't go crazy filing em all the time. You can't ever wear em on the ground, lessen ya tiptoe.

Unless your going to be spiking into tree bark that is thicker than 3"...I'd stick with the 2 1/2" replacible ones. Thats what most guys are using. Remember, a proper fit is important. Lots of options as well. ie- type of pads, straps, straight or off set shank etc. Get some catalogs to see what is out there before you buy. Also have a look at some old related threads on this site. Best of luck. HC

056kid,
Take a look at the bird toe gaffs on the kliens. I have the triple thick t-pads. IMO they are the best. I been climbing on them for almost 2 years now and they NEVER have kicked out on me. They realy grab the tree. I like em.
Be safe.

My 3 1/2" Buckingham non-replaceable gaffs are about 13 years old and still work great. I don't walk in them so they stay sharp for a long time. A lick with a file every so often keeps them good. I like the long gaffs personally because with my big feet they give me more bite. I've climbed with the 2 1/2" gaffs but don't like them as much.

Latest posts

Back