Bugs and shag bark Hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems the critters only bore like crazy into my beloved shag bark splits.

Ash, cherry, Mulberry and Walnut not a hole a one.
Shag bark has literally piles of crass all around it after 8 months in shed

Noticed they only go after splits that have one side with bark

Suspect powder post beetles

Holes about size of thin pencil. Sometimes see dead white wormy lookin guy inside

Extension Agent has no ideas

Any suggestions out there

Last edited:
I've seen the holes and all the sawdust they make, but have never seen the little boogers myself, but I know they usually only go after the sapwood. Very frustrating to see all that sawdust, that's for sure!

Been doing some more research on line.

This was good read:Wood-Boring Beetles in Homes Management Guidelines--UC IPM
As was this:Insects from Firewood

Looking at size of my holes, and grittiness of my crass, I may well have deathwatch instead of powderposts.

Frustrating in that most info stresses not to bring the infected wood inside before going in stove.
(kinda basic, ain't it ??)

But next to nothing about how to get rid of them for next year

Last edited:
without getting to technical, let me pass on these words of wisdom

Bugs eat hickory FIRST!

:msp_smile:

yep,

bugs sure do like Hickory. They leave a mess, but there is still plenty to burn.

I've had these buggers digging into my hickory a couple years ago. They look like small wasps. I never did see the worms or larva inside. It's pretty frustrating to have your wood pile taken over by sawdust from them. Imagine selling the firewood and having to explain it everytime to customers upon delivery. I got to where I would inform them on the phone when they ordered. Most didnt really care, but some people that use fireplaces didnt like it. That was the worst part. Nevertheless, the wood burns great, just a little messy.

Latest posts

Back