bugs boring into wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fredmc

fredmc

Addicted to ArboristSite
The customer sounds like an ass. I sell alot of locust, which is usually full of carpenter ants. I just tell my customers not to bring the wood inside till they are ready to burn it. My wood pile has all kinds of boring insects in it-that's what bugs do....

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
so i talked to the guy today
he seems to be much more reasonable today after sounding like a #### on his message yesterday

he asked if i would take the infected wood, i said sure of course i will, he told me he already went through the 3 cords and pulled out the infected ash/hickory and set it aside, i will go get the pile of infested wood, and bring him some birch and cherry to make up for it. i dont want to lose a customer over a little pile of wood, he has got lots of wood from me and wants more to come. he said he loves the wood i am giving him (all ash,cherry,locust,birch,hickory). so i guess i will suck it up and go take the infested wood and do something with it.
im thinking of just burning the wood somewhere, depending on how much it is, certainly dont want to bring it home with me. he understands this, ####in bugs

tomtrees58

tomtrees58

Addicted to ArboristSite
good idea, i didn't know i had a chipper though :mad:
drive yours over, im just across the river..
ive been to long island a few times, well the hofstra university campus off hempstead turnpike at least, didn't see any trees like the ones you post
yes close by i am in glen cove about 8 miles:cheers: the north shore

1999HarleyRN

1999HarleyRN

ArboristSite Member
Just a thought...you said the infected wood is ash. Around here there are alot of purple traps hanging in the ash trees...could it be emerald ash borers? If it is, you probably don't want to move the wood far, there are actually counties up here where you can not transport wood out of the county unless it has been kiln dried.

rob066

rob066

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Here in Pennsylvania there is a problem with Ash. There is a beetle called an Ash bore beetle. There are blue boxes hanging in some Ash trees. These are some kind of traps I presume. I think they have some kind of sticky material on them that glue the the beetle fast in there tracks.

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
you guys are buggin me out, ill have to burn the evidence !
there are no quarantines here as far as i know, and ive never heard of any such problems around here, i have one guy who is real o.c.d with his wood, has a moister meter and everything, always checking the stack and playing with it, 7-8 cords that he got from me, i was there last week giving another, he has no such problems, and has at least a cord+ of that ash/hickory mix from the same ladies trees.
ill have to see how much wood it is tomorrow that is infected then figure out what to do with it, i dont really have a place to just build a huge bon fire and burn it all if its liek a half cord, but i certainly dont wana dump it somewhere

Last edited:
wild bill

wild bill

ArboristSite Lurker
bugs

Great we cut a bunch of hickory last winter, dont plan to burn till 12or 13 was going to leave it in rounds. Went by the pile today and there was sawdust every where, looks like their wont be any wood left by then.

Latest posts