Build more fence or move to the country? A**hat neighbors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to be present when the techs were out there, then the estimate was for time and materials, prolly be more. They really didn't want my input. So I took $1850 total and they will call when its done. This week or next week. I kinda worry the neighbor will mess with the markers before I see them...

HUH? Not to derail 3 ford.....

You ought to be able to either reason with the surveyor a bit, or find a different one. I can't see them telling you they can't do the work while you are there, not in this economy. Gotta be some surveyors hungry for work. Really? Why are the hacking you on price if you want to be there? Does it cost more to produce? A survey? Input?

Don't do a privacy fence. Use chain link, better air flow to season the 7 ft high 75ft stack of firewood privacy fence.

thinking quite seriously of exactly this. I'll need a sturdy fence when her loud mouth daughter with 6 brats (5 different fathers) moves in. I'll use the wood from the ally/quarry to stack along it.

Last edited:
HUH? Not to derail 3 ford.....

You ought to be able to either reason with the surveyor a bit, or find a different one. I can't see them telling you they can't do the work while you are there, not in this economy. Gotta be some surveyors hungry for work. Really? Why are the hacking you on price if you want to be there? Does it cost more to produce? A survey? Input?

Thats what I thought, also. I called around, not a lot of interest in the job. Summer, people have work I guess...

When I first bought my property at the entrance their is a church that has been their since 1870, they had their propane tank setting on my property, really didn't think much about it until the insurance agent told us we would be liable if some accident would happen with it, such as a piece of equipment or car hitting it. I approached the preacher ( they hold services once a month) he told me to stuff it, wasn't moving. I hired a surveyor had the piece of property surveyed and it indeed was on my property, it cost me 100.00 for a letter from an attorney and it was settled immediatley on the day I presented the letter to the church. It changed their view immediately after the survey, I own basically everything within a couple feet of the building, actually 9' of the church sets on my property. They have become very accomodating since the survey and letter. They actually used to block my driveway on some Sundays, now they understand a tow truck will be called or a tractor hooked on and the vehicle moved if the driveway is blocked.

I would have just deleted the voice mail and gone on about my day. The delete button is a wonderful invention...

You need to stand up for yourself and not let people(lady with the current issue, and people on the other side of you) take advantage of you to begin with. If you had put your foot down with the lady to bein with you wouldn't have the current issue.

Yea, the old saying "nice guys finish last" is very true. Better to be an a** but an a** who has his i's dotted and t's crossed. That's been my problem, with wood at one time in the alley and now on quarry property these people have had that little bit of leverage to force me to compromise. That is changing.

As for the lady with the current issue, I marked out the encroachments onto my property and will contact her today as to what I expect to be done an by when. After all I don't want any "issues" with her kids if something should happen to her. (her words in original message).

As far as the phone message, I did ignore it, but this lady's daughter brought it up to my wife though facebook and text...
actually upsetting my wife to the point she could not sleep that night... those avenues of communication are now severed.

I would have just deleted the voice mail and gone on about my day. The delete button is a wonderful invention...

You need to stand up for yourself and not let people(lady with the current issue, and people on the other side of you) take advantage of you to begin with. If you had put your foot down with the lady to bein with you wouldn't have the current issue.

Yesterday I pulled the neighbor and her daughter over to discuss and show them the property line and encroachment issues. The biggest waste of 45 minutes in my life. Let’s just say they weren’t going to let the facts or a survey get in the way of what they want. They would not believe the property line was where I showed them, and absolutely would not look at my survey drawing. I suggested they get their own done, they laughed in my face, “we’re not spending a penny!” They kept pointing to rusted off old fence posts and other pipes in the ground that have nothing to do with the property line.

They said they would move their rickety fence but only if I was installing a decent fence.

As far as the AC unit, they just laughed again and said they’ve lived there 40 years, who am I to tell them to move something? Again they would not believe the property line location at the AC unit.

Well of course they had to bring up the wood stacked along the quarry fence. I said I did move it back 2-3’ but I didn’t have to do that so what is the issue with the wood? “it attracts woodchucks and snakes” “it looks bad” “visitors ask about the wood and think it’s ours” .. then they went on to tell me “why can’t I put it all in one place on my property? Why do I need so much? I should get it off the quarry fence because it’s going to tip the fence over. I should get it off quarry property, it went on and on.

My responses were:
Woodchucks go after apples from your apple tree, not wood.
The only snakes I’ve seen were 20 years ago on your property when there was not a stick of firewood on the block.
What business do you have telling me what I do on my property?
Why can you have items on quarry property and city alley but I cant? And the wood is not touching the quarry fence.

I then proceeded to mention that if I do build a fence, it will have wood stacked along it on my side. For some reason they didn’t have a problem with that, but I’m thinking what about all the woodchucks and snakes all the closer to them and their house?

At one point we were next to a large elm that straddles the property line, and the old bag got a big smile on her face and shouted out “your just screwed yourself, that tree is your responsibility- you need to pay to remove it and pay me back for a $300 trim job I had done” (years ago and only on her side of the tree). The tree trunk is about 65% on her side or more. I’ve trimmed up my side several times at my expense. The tree is healthy and does not need to come down except for it is totally over their house, garage, sheds, deck…

All in all a total waste of time, what I hoped would be a reasonable conversation turned into a shouting match (on their part) and at least twice the daughter had to be pulled back by her 18yo son or I would have been assaulted.

Last edited:
Woe and misery upon those who trespass on me and mine.

I guess you need to try the good ol' standard "Go Fu%$ yerself" routine and promptly start with demo of the fence.
It might get a point across to the dim-wits. It sure worked for me several years ago.(cluing them to the fact I wasn't making nice) Now the neighborhood is full of peace and harmony!!
You gotta legal survey, right ?, soooo, get to work clearing your property, Bud.

Yesterday I pulled the neighbor and her daughter over to discuss and show them the property line and encroachment issues. The biggest waste of 45 minutes in my life. Let’s just say they weren’t going to let the facts or a survey get in the way of what they want. They would not believe the property line was where I showed them, and absolutely would not look at my survey drawing. I suggested they get their own done, they laughed in my face, “we’re not spending a penny!” They kept pointing to rusted off old fence posts and other pipes in the ground that have nothing to do with the property line.

They said they would move their rickety fence but only if I was installing a decent fence.

As far as the AC unit, they just laughed again and said they’ve lived there 40 years, who am I to tell them to move something? Again they would not believe the property line location at the AC unit.

Well of course they had to bring up the wood stacked along the quarry fence. I said I did move it back 2-3’ but I didn’t have to do that so what is the issue with the wood? “it attracts woodchucks and snakes” “it looks bad” “visitors ask about the wood and think it’s ours” .. then they went on to tell me “why can’t I put it all in one place on my property? Why do I need so much? I should get it off the quarry fence because it’s going to tip the fence over. I should get it off quarry property, it went on and on.

My responses were:
The only snakes I’ve seen were 20 years ago on your property when there was not a stick of firewood on the block.
Why can you have items on quarry property and city alley but I cant? And the wood is not touching the quarry fence.

I then proceeded to mention that if I do build a fence, it will have wood stacked along it on my side. For some reason they didn’t have a problem with that, but I’m thinking what about all the woodchucks and snakes all the closer to them and their house?

At one point we were next to a large elm that straddles the property line, and the old bag got a big smile on her face and shouted out “your just screwed yourself, that tree is your responsibility- you need to pay to remove it and pay me back for a $300 trim job I had done” (years ago and only on her side of the tree). The tree trunk is about 65% on her side or more. I’ve trimmed up my side several times at my expense. The tree is healthy and does not need to come down except for it is totally over their house, garage, sheds, deck…

All in all a total waste of time, what I hoped would be a reasonable conversation turned into a shouting match (on their part) and at least twice the daughter had to be pulled back by her 18yo son or I would have been assaulted.

hahahaha! Cut all the branches off the big tree on your side, then slice that bad boy right down to the stump, exactly on the line. So now they have their percentage of tree hanging over their house!

hehehehe

The tree is way heavy on their side, I've trimmed stuff off my side every chance I get.
LOL - cut it to the line from your side and tell them they'll have to take care of the rest!

If the tree is all on your yard and falls on there house. It is still under there homeowners ins to repair house and clean up. Doesn't matter who owns the tree. Ask your ins, they will tell you. Now put up the 6 ft chain link and start stacking already.

Also after putting up the chainlink you could visit the scrap yard and get some old hoods and fenders from cars ect and place it between the fence and your wood stacks, then YOU wont have to see it but:msp_biggrin:

next time you plan a "talk" w/ this lady and irate family members, i'd set up a video camera somewhere, or stash a tape recorder in your jacket. if this all comes to a serious head and ends up involving the law or small claims court, you'd really wish you had some evidence of you trying to work things out and them being unreasonable. also, i'd make it a point to never talk to them alone. #1, it's your word against 2 or 3 other people. #2 you could get into a physical altercation and be in trouble via the numbers game.

i'd plan ahead...

My responses were:

A consult with a lawyer will also yield you some information about the leaning tree.

You have a survey, and you want to install a fence, get a permit from the city, and ask them what to do about the neighbors AC being in the way? (Know more than the city before you go, after the consult. )

My wife had a suggestion- tell the old bag we're building a fence and she needs to move hers. (she's already agreed to do that because she wants a decent fence there). Once her crappy fence is moved, build ours not along the adjacent property line, but along the rear of our property line adjacent to the alley. This provides much more benifit for us and provides a stacking area on my property for all the wood on quarry property. When the old bag asks where the new fence is our response "we ran out of money, or it was "just to hard to dig post holes with all the rock" "since you need/want the fence so bad why don't you build your own but make sure it's on your own property" Oh and also "make sure to get a permit and survey for that fence just like we had too" "I'm not sharing my survey info since you refused to look at it or acknowledge it"

Once the wood is off the quarry property, the calls will go to the city for all her encroachments onto the ally.. unless by that time she has tamed down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back