Build more fence or move to the country? A**hat neighbors...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming that you are not the one riding the ATV on private property, and tearing up others land. That said, where I live, every tom, ####, and harry that buy an acre in the country, also buy their offspring ATV's, knowing full well that they don't have the land to accommoodate their pleasure riding. They feel that since they are now "country folk" being they now have a 200' x 200' yard instead of a 100' x 70' yard in the suburbs, that all the other country folk landowners owe it to them and their cherub's a place to ride. Trespass sucks. ATV trespass sucks even more and can really make a mess of land.

Agreed! The first thing that those new country folks do is run to the hardwae store and buy up all of the No Tresspassing signs and post their 1 acre. They own land now and don't want anyone else on it. :msp_mad: My 69 acres are not posted!

Agreed! The first thing that those new country folks do is run to the hardwae store and buy up all of the No Tresspassing signs and post their 1 acre. They own land now and don't want anyone else on it. :msp_mad: My 69 acres are not posted!

I am a city Boy that bought 20 acres in the country. I have invited lots of folks to come and hunt and fish at my place. We enjoy what we have and do not mind sharing it with other folks.

I am a city Boy that bought 20 acres in the country. I have invited lots of folks to come and hunt and fish at my place. We enjoy what we have and do not mind sharing it with other folks.

notice i bolded invited. wait til you go walking your property and find a deer carcass or someone's deer stand. don't think you'll be happy then. i got a new neighbor bout 5 years ago that bought 3.5 acres next to me. his son had a 4-wheeler. i saw where he had been making trails in my woods and dumping tree branches. went to talk to him. he said he thought he was dumping on his property, i do believe him. i showed him where the corners were and said his son could ride on my land but to not make trails. i'll make my own trails thank you very much. he said no problem his son wouldn't be on my property. called me about a week later and said he'd been to the courthouse and, whaddayaknow, i was right about the lines.
this guy and his family have turned out to be good neighbors. there when you need them, not when you don't.
carry on

good neighbor is worth more than all the relatives
it is difficult to find good neighbors but is harder to be a good neighbor

notice i bolded invited. wait til you go walking your property and find a deer carcass or someone's deer stand. don't think you'll be happy then. i got a new neighbor bout 5 years ago that bought 3.5 acres next to me. his son had a 4-wheeler. i saw where he had been making trails in my woods and dumping tree branches. went to talk to him. he said he thought he was dumping on his property, i do believe him. i showed him where the corners were and said his son could ride on my land but to not make trails. i'll make my own trails thank you very much. he said no problem his son wouldn't be on my property. called me about a week later and said he'd been to the courthouse and, whaddayaknow, i was right about the lines.
this guy and his family have turned out to be good neighbors. there when you need them, not when you don't.
carry on

You are correct, I only invite folks thaqt give me a good vibe. Turns out they are mostly GI's and folks from Church.

My neighbor across the street had minor problems with his neighbor regarding to the property line. His neighbor wanted just their line surveyed, 'cause she thought it was further on his property. The surveyor left yesterday and the line is actually about 10' further towards her house. :greenchainsaw:

She wasn't happy, but she paid for 1/2 of the survey like she said she would.

Well the city cop that is supposed to specialize in solving neighbor disputes won't return my calls (3 messages, 3 different days). I did mention that I felt I was close to getting assulted in my last conversation with them.

Went to the city, showed them my survey drawing with clearly marked encroachments (documented by surveyors,not my marking)
and they just shrugged and said, it's a civil dispute between you and your neighbor, we don't get involved......:msp_angry:
Hmm, they didn't mind getting involved when the other neighbors didn't like a security light I put up, or when that neighbor #####ed about wood in the alley......

I've run a flourescent orange string along the property line, well actually 40" off it to measure how far the fence is still onto my property, (6-8" for about 20' of it's length)..

The A**hats have commented to another neighbor that they are excited because they think I am preparing to put up the privacy fence... but they are not happy that I talked about a chain link........ The nerve... they seem to think they can dictate what type of fence I pay for and install on my own property.

I'm back to telling them "I can't even think about building a fence with your property line encroachments, move it"
And then do nothing.

or I quess I'm to my last resort, go see the lawyer and have them send a letter.... why is it someone else does something completely wrong and I end up paying??? :msp_angry:

Last edited:
moving to the country, you will still have the same issues. i live in the country and own 55 acres of property that my family has lived on for 2 generations. now we are starting to get people moving from the city to the country and these people complain about everything. we are zoned as AG and we rent out our land to local farmers. these city people say they moved to the country for a quiet life and are trying to have laws placed in so farmers can only use there machenery till a certain hour of the day. when our farmer cuts corn in the fall he is out there till 1-2am, does it keep me up at night because of the noise? no.

we have one neighbor who has been moving the property line pins and cutting trees down that are on our land. i had to pay 1,500 for a survey to have the pins re-set. next day the pins are gone. 2 years ago i had a logger come in to cut select hardwood trees, there were some cherry trees that he wanted to cut but he only wanted a very select section of the tree, so i had the logger cut them and for him to pile up the rest of the tree(s) that he did not want. during the winter i cut up the pile, split and stacked the wood. i did all of this in one of our hay fields and it was about 100ft away from the property line. a week went by and i went out to start to load my truck with the wood and it was gone. the neighbor gave it away to some people doing work on his house, 2 cord of split cherry. his responce to this, "i didnt like looking out my window and seeing it there". all i can say is the country is not what it use to be at all.

moving to the country, you will still have the same issues. i live in the country and own 55 acres of property that my family has lived on for 2 generations. now we are starting to get people moving from the city to the country and these people complain about everything. we are zoned as AG and we rent out our land to local farmers. these city people say they moved to the country for a quiet life and are trying to have laws placed in so farmers can only use there machenery till a certain hour of the day. when our farmer cuts corn in the fall he is out there till 1-2am, does it keep me up at night because of the noise? no.

we have one neighbor who has been moving the property line pins and cutting trees down that are on our land. i had to pay 1,500 for a survey to have the pins re-set. next day the pins are gone. 2 years ago i had a logger come in to cut select hardwood trees, there were some cherry trees that he wanted to cut but he only wanted a very select section of the tree, so i had the logger cut them and for him to pile up the rest of the tree(s) that he did not want. during the winter i cut up the pile, split and stacked the wood. i did all of this in one of our hay fields and it was about 100ft away from the property line. a week went by and i went out to start to load my truck with the wood and it was gone. the neighbor gave it away to some people doing work on his house, 2 cord of split cherry. his responce to this, "i didnt like looking out my window and seeing it there". all i can say is the country is not what it use to be at all.

Sounds like a clear-cut case of theft to me; you clearly have the option of reporting it. (His attitude would be a factor if I were in your shoes. A repentant and introspective neighbor gets a pass. Someone who's belligerent gets to talk to the sheriff.)

sounds like you're really trying to avoid trouble. only problem is that unconfronted episodes like that only encourage the a$$. i learned a long time ago that a sure fire way of avoiding trouble is to confront it first time it shows up. make your neighbor back off, send him a bill for the firewood, the survey, the resurvey, and your time. if you have evidence, take him to small claims court. this guy doesn't want to be a good neighbor so watcha got to loose?
btw, moving property pins is a FELONY. set up some game cameras (don't tell him) and get them reset. take the evidence to the sheriff and prosecutor and insist on filing charges.
OR let the a$$ keep on doing you.

well, they tenatively set my corner pins today, and one is squarely in the middle of the driveway next door. now they map everything, then set pipes on the corners and lay out the property lines. Then the fun begins as I put a fence right down the middle of the driveway, leaving his outhouse on my side...

Went home for lunch today and the a**hat calls me over to ask when I'm building the fence...

I say "the city won't let me build it where I want (6" to my side of the line) because of your encroachments"
So with all the hassle to fix that I've decided not to do anything....

She then proceeds to get really pissed and pretty much demands that I build a privacy fence several feet into my property:bang:

I suggested she should build her own fence...

She says.. "just wait till my daughter and son find out about this!"

I also mentioned that I never promised to build anything, that I was just checking into it...

Went home for lunch today and the a**hat calls me over to ask when I'm building the fence...

I say "the city won't let me build it where I want (6" to my side of the line) because of your encroachments"
So with all the hassle to fix that I've decided not to do anything....

She then proceeds to get really pissed and pretty much demands that I build a privacy fence several feet into my property:bang:

I suggested she should build her own fence...

She says.. "just wait till my daughter and son find out about this!"

I also mentioned that I never promised to build anything, that I was just checking into it...

thats the way to deal with these people, just keep calm and give them nothing to use against you. if they come back with daughter son etc make sure you have someone else there when your talking to them, or just ignore them better yet.

once had a neighour who's boyfriend kept parking in front of my garage on my drive to vist her. got pi$$ed off one night an park my car right behind him and blocked him in. took about 3 hour for him to come knock and ask if I could move my car.. reply, yeah ok buddy, but kinda busy right now, will get to it when I am free.... an 3 hours later moved the car, poor guy was up early for work next morn!!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm assuming that you are not the one riding the ATV on private property, and tearing up others land. That said, where I live, every tom, ####, and harry that buy an acre in the country, also buy their offspring ATV's, knowing full well that they don't have the land to accommoodate their pleasure riding. They feel that since they are now "country folk" being they now have a 200' x 200' yard instead of a 100' x 70' yard in the suburbs, that all the other country folk landowners owe it to them and their cherub's a place to ride. Trespass sucks. ATV trespass sucks even more and can really make a mess of land.

I feel your pain. Been dealing with that kind of stuff for over 20 years now. Thankfully not very often, but it still sucks. Hunters from the city are the worst. Can't shoot straight to save their life, won't get any training, can't identify thier target worth a crap, and have absolutly no idea just how deadly their weapon can be or how far it can really shoot. They either think their Remington 870 can shoot like a lazer to 1,000 yards cause they saw it done on TV, or they think that a deer slug majically stops mid air when it gets to 100 yards and falls safely to the ground. They have no clue about how projectiles tumble and ricochete after hitting the ground (especially shotgun slugs), and have no clue what kind of energy and killing potentioal a projectile has AFTER it has passed through an animal. They figure if their gun holds 5 rounds plus 1 in the chamber, then they should do their best to get all 6 rounds off when shooting at a deer (or at least what sounds like it might be a deer). They've ruined my opinion of shotguns and those that like hunting with them from an early age. I still use a shotgun for turkeys and birds for safety reasons, but I really don't enjoy shooting them for fun. I'd much rather spend my time shooting one of my rifles, muzzleloaders, handguns, bows, or crossbows. That's a whole other subject though.

At the end of it all, I think most neighbors CAN be pretty decent, and at the same time a lot of them CAN be troublesome. It just depends on how they are treated, and how conflicts are dealt wiith. However, there are a hand full of people in the world that are just here to help us all work on our patience. Makes you wish their daddy had rolled over and shot them out the window.... I've noticed that people like this generally tend to congregate. Odds are that if a person has problems with multiple neighbors, then either they are the problem not the neighbors, or the neighborhood is heading south and it's best to move before their numbers start increasing and they run down your property value.

As for living in the country, yeah it's great, but then again lots of folks want to do it. That's the only nice thing about zoning laws. In some states, if it's zoned as AG, you can't just buy/sell a few acres to build a house on. You have to buy/sell at least 40 acres at a time, and then if you want to develop it you have to go through the battle of having it rezoned which gives the rest of us the chance to put a halt to it ;)

moving will not solve all your problems, We live out in the country and the only close neighbor we have is a gun nut. Once a month he stocks up on ammo and will shoot for 2-3 hours straight. This usally coincides with a pool party or get together of ours. He is a decent enough guy, but boy on those days.............My point is, neighbors anywhere, can be difficult.

While he may not fit in with your circle of friends, invite him over anyway, and introduce him as the neighbor. He won't be interupting that pool party, and he prolly won't stay ;ong if he's not got another aquaintyence in the group.

When he goes to leave, fix him a plate to go too.

Next time you are into a gathering, and he sights it, he might not go to target practice either.

Got home about 4pm and told the wife what happened. She says call the cops right now......

I calmly explained whats been going on to the officer and he realizes that I've done my research with surveys, property lines and city regs. He goes and talks to them for a while, it's the old bag and her loud mouth daughter.. I can hear over the fence it's getting a bit loud and the officer is getting frustrated. Finally he comes back with them in tow to try and "resolve the situation"

Pretty much a waste of time but it did not go well for them, they were loud, interuppted me alot and pointing fingers and the officer did not like that.

At least I got something on record showing I was a reasonable, well researched person and they were a bunch of ranting lunatics.

OMFG. I'd be wild and friendly as a sunburned rattlesnake. There would be big problems in the 'hood.

I'm sorry, but after reading through these "neighbor trouble" posts, I gotta go hug every one of my neighbors. Two brothers across the road milk 60 cows and are the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Neighbor across the valley has a very nice house, but never complains about farmwork or smells, Neighbor next to him comes helps me on the farm for the right to hunt. Neighbor next to him pretty much maintains my fence on the back of my land. Three Neighbors down the valley keep to themselves. Well, one set of neighbors are useless. Lazy useless welfare cases that take advantage of any kindness. But they mostly keep to themselves, too. They won't get a hug...

I wish all that have bad neighbors well. I'd have a very hard time being civil to them.

Back