Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a cool 44 here this morning as i'm sitting in the truck getting ready to go in to work.

The 390 looks nice. Maybe when it warms up you can get a video of it and your 066 and see them side by side. I have a feeling that with 28" or so bars the 390 might be faster. I think with longer bars I think the 066 platform will out pull it, but what do I know:laugh:

Its a cool 44 here this morning as i'm sitting in the truck getting ready to go in to work.

The 390 looks nice. Maybe when it warms up you can get a video of it and your 066 and see them side by side. I have a feeling that with 28" or so bars the 390 might be faster. I think with longer bars I think the 066 platform will out pull it, but what do I know:laugh:

It's 19 degrees in K-Town. Check your thermometer

12 degrees here in southwest virginia with a -3 wind chill, first sign of winter we've had this year.

I fully expect you are right. I use my 066 as a stump saw, and just put my hip against it and push. It really is that strong. But, it doesn't turn the RPMs this 390 does, and I personally don't know how to get those kinds of RPMs out of a 066/660. Bottom line, both are AWESOME saws. Like I already said, this one's a definate keeper. When I can get a saw into "the wow factor", it's a keeper.

The shorter stroke of the 390 helps it with the rpms but seems to lack torque for real long bars. The 66s have the longer stroke with less rpms but better torque with those longer bars. The 395 stroke is shorter than the 660.

I doubt if a 066/660 would turn those kind of RPMs. Rpms is directly related to stroke......The longer the stroke the less RPMs they like to go.

390 looks good Brad, cant wait to try her out!!!:D:D

We musta been typing at the same time Mike lol

Last edited:
Just for reference, this saw holds a good 1000 more RPMs in the cut than the 660 I just did. That's in about 24"-28" Oak. It was a very good runnin 660 too, perhaps my best effort to date. The 660 did not have a popup though, to be fair.

Just for reference, this saw holds a good 1000 more RPMs in the cut than the 660 I just did. That's in about 24"-28" Oak. It was a very good runnin 660 too, perhaps my best effort to date. The 660 did not have a popup though, to be fair.

I need to clarify this comment. It only held those extra RPMs when self feeding. Once a load was put on it, it was much closer. So my comment isn't really accurate.

I'm Listening.....:)

I got one thing I wanna try, but Im scared it'll be a ''make it or break it'' kinda thing.....more scared of the break it part lol.

I should have my cylinder for my 66 back soon:) I hope to have time to get it ported and see what its like before time to send it to the buildoff.

Back