building a pipe need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark09

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what happens if u bend the header pipe does it change the way the pipe flows and how do u fix the problem.

Gink didn't get run off. He pulled all his pictures, then grossed out one of the mods, so they had no choice but to ban him. He got what he asked for!

Gink didn't get run off. He pulled all his pictures, then grossed out one of the mods, so they had no choice but to ban him. He got what he asked for!

I've always liked Frank and enjoyed his posts. He's just let Copsey's troubles become his own for some reason.

The saw is a 55 husky I"m just playing with it for the practice. I ported the snot out of it. Took the base gasket out of it. It is one snotty saw all ready. I want to try to build a pipe for it. I did the math and have a design for the pipe. but I dont now how the bend in the header pipe to turn the pipe to the left or right side of the saw would affect the flow of the pipe. Also what should I do to the carb for more flow and or do I need to for the pipe?

The saw is a 55 husky I"m just playing with it for the practice. I ported the snot out of it. Took the base gasket out of it. It is one snotty saw all ready. I want to try to build a pipe for it. I did the math and have a design for the pipe. but I dont now how the bend in the header pipe to turn the pipe to the left or right side of the saw would affect the flow of the pipe. Also what should I do to the carb for more flow and or do I need to for the pipe?

Mark, anytime you bend anything you loose force,horsepower,flow pressure. But there are ways to recover this loss. I recommend an expansion chamber after the bend the return to the size to scavenge the exhaust increasing power and giving the saw a powerband range.

I'd start with a used 60cc dirt bike pipe. You'll have a nicely curved header and can cut and weld different sections into the pipe as desired.

I've never seen a tuned pipe with a bent header pipe, there are several ways to achieve what you want. Factory pipes are stamped which produces a nice smooth curve, and there are some options for hydroforming one off pipes. The other option is to either take a straight pipe and make multiple angled cuts and you twist the wedges you've produced to make a curved pipe, or you're a math/sheetmetal bending wizard and you figure out the shape of those wedges, roll each one and then weld up the mess.

Here's a stamped pipe

$(KGrHqV,!lcE-lETJkBLBPyYOLYzgQ~~60_35.JPG

Here's a pipe with multiple wedges welded together

$T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojeR!BQQ14cF!iQ~~60_3.JPG

Here's a 60cc kart pipe off of flea bay, which would be a good starting point for a saw pipe

$(KGrHqR,!i!E-zqLJQUoBPzYNjkwjg~~60_1.JPG

Latest posts

Back