Building new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Am I cheating if I copy some of the ideas from the high end splitter companies when I build my new splitter ?

build what ya want how ya want. thats just me though. wedge design is key!

I have seen some splitters using 6 & 8 way wedges.How are they making the power with just a 5" cylinder ? Unless they are super thin wedges.When I put my 4 way on I can only split very straight grained wood.

Stager the cross wedges so the main wedge splits vertical first before the horizontal wedges touch the wood, this reduces amount of force needed to utilize 4-6 way wedges

Or just copy what you like from some of the build threads here.
splitter-28.jpg

splitter-29.jpg

I like this one :)

JT

What make and model jack stands are those? Did you find them online? Very nice looking machine.

I just got them at Orscheln Farm & Home, they are regular trailer tongue jacks. What I did was to pop the top off and knock the pin out and remove the crank. Then I drilled a hole in a 1/2" bolt and inserted that. I didn't like that so I cut the head off of a bolt and red locktited a coupling nut to that and used that. I took the crank and cut some off and squared up the end and red locktited a deep socket on that. It cranks nice and there is no crank in the way.

jack-01.jpg

More images here.
Probably should ask questions about my build on my Splitter Build thread so we don't hijack the op's thread.

JT

Back