Burls?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cliniford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What causes burls? Asking because all my apple trees have what look like small burls where I have hit them with the lawn mower. My corkscrew willow has the same thing. Just looks like small burls at the bottom of all my trees.

I know that me hitting the trees with the lawn mower is what's causing it. Just wondering if that scar tissue is what becomes a burl or is it something else that causes burls.

I know that me hitting the trees with the lawn mower is what's causing it. Just wondering if that scar tissue is what becomes a burl or is it something else that causes burls.
usually its like what everyone is saying, its a scar that then gets grown over... or some other type of damage like a broken branch stub. As the tree grows the area gets covered over and over and it grows and grows ...the bigger the Burl, the better... from a "Selling-wood-to-hobbyists" point of view. as they are highly sought after for wood turners and other projects because of their interesting grain patterns. Some Burls may also just come about naturally from a weird growth pattern, im not sure but I have been looking and looking for them in the woods and cant find any... lol

Can't hardly even give them away here.
I've turned several into firewood but they are hard to cut and split.

I've got one in the yard that's about 4ft across. Another on that's maybe 6" but it forms on a branch that was maybe 1/2".

Cherry trees around here are prone to developing burls and wood turners love them, but only if they get to them before the black ants.

Back