Burning Willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi,I have about 3 cords worth of willow on my land that I can cut up and split for my wood stove.This is the willow that grows in moist soils like creek banks like mine.Is it worth my time and sweat for willow?Does it burn ok?Heres a couple pics of part of it.This one was cut down at the GTG that was at my place last Oct.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Part of it landed in the creek which is about 8" wide.Them willows don't hold up too well in 50mph winds around here.The neighbor has like 5 willows that blow over that I can have if I want besides.

attachment.php

Burning willow is similar to burning rolls of toilet paper. Used toilet paper.

worst wood there is.

Thats what I thought.I have not burned any ever but have handled it dried out and it felt light,very light.I was thinking of using some for kindling and theres a guy at work that wanted some for camp fires.It sure is fun to cut up though.I have another one that blow over all the way that should be fun to cut and is 29" across.Heres a pic.Maybe I won't take it down,I sure do like climbing on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
cut, split and dry...... Better than nothin. Free, close, and you gotta clean it up anyways, Right?

I burn used TP too. still gotta let it dry back out. And the more pooh the more BTU'S:hmm3grin2orange:

burns great... when you cut the tree's down and wait on a flood to wash them all together, throw some diesel and tires in the pile and light it up about dark. :)

Willow is NOT firewood, its just trash as all get out :)

burns great... when you cut the tree's down and wait on a flood to wash them all together, throw some diesel and tires in the pile and light it up about dark. :)

Willow is NOT firewood, its just trash as all get out :)

I have a very large brush pile of willow branches next to the one thats still conected thats covered and ready to burn.Will use newspapers,gas and oil to get it going but it should go without much help.Heres a pic,don't have to worry about burning permits now.

attachment.php

We have willow trees here too, not weeping willow but willow in the wet areas. It is twisty and stringy and has about the same btu per cord as cottonwood or even some of the pines. I have cut and burned at least five cords of the stuff in my modern stove.

You've got to process it and dry it. Then, and only then, burn it. It burns fine and the ash actually extends burn time. If you want to research it and compare it to something else than use cottonwood as an equivalent. You will find many folks who refuse to burn cottonwood/willow but also many that burn plenty of it and it is fine.

It is a low btu wood for sure and I would prefer a denser hardwood, but, I won't let it go to waste and it will certainly heat the home just fine. Just be sure to let it dry. People try and burn it wet or in an old pre-epa stove dampered way down and don't have good luck.

Yeah it's a junk wood but I over the years I've burned tons of it...only because it was in my backyard.

It seasons quickly, will take the chill out of a cold house real quick, burns fast and hot although the newer stoves can tame it somewhat. Good shoulder season wood.

Not the wood you load in the stove to hold a fire. Probably the only wood you'll want to stack separately because there's a special time for willow.

Good to keep handy for campfires... that way the kids don't burn your better wood.

I hate willow trees and go out of my way to cut them so they won't take over...that's why I burn so much.

I agree with highbeam and savage, in a modern firebox it doesn't burn bad. I heated with cottonwood this fall and I could wake with enough coals to start another cycle. When split larger and seasoned it burns hot and clean. My only complaint was the ash content, but I would take it again I a heartbeat to burn in the shoulder season. Hey it's free and when burnt produces heat. To me that's all that matters. I know dad has burnt some in his old woodburner and it gives him maybe a few hours at most of heat. There's a big difference between an old stove and a modern one.

I burned about a cord of it this past fall. Was perfect for getting the chill off the house. Since I scrounge primarily from CL it allowed me to save the good stuff for the real cold. I found that leaving it in as big as possible splits it wasn't terrible, even if it is go-for wood. If I was able to be picky I wouldn't have bothered tho...

I consider the shoulder season when I only need a fire here or there. In September we had a couple of cool nights, so we had a small fire. October tends to be a shoulder season for us. During that time we burnt nothing but cottonwood. It gets the job done and for us no pro-pain is burned. The same time I would also burn pine if I had it or other softer woods. Even though cottonwood or willow is low on the btu charts, it will throw out quite a bit of heat.

Call me stupid but I have never heard the term"shoulder season".I am from Minnesnowda:givebeer:

Around here it is considered the time of year when you have warm days and cool nights and need just a little heat to knock the chill off.

But as has been mentioned ,its all wood it will produce some heat and best part,,Its Free.I hate to waste anything.stack it up and burn a little of it at a time with your good wood.

I heated my house with almost 100% Willow for over 30 years. Near by, free, easy tow work up. I could burn many cords of willow for what it woould have cost me 150mile roundtrip to the mountains for one 3/4 cord of Tamarack.

Yes it is gofer wood. My consumption was 6-7 cord/yr (almost zero oil). this year I am burning Locust and looks like my consumption will be around 4 cords.

In an airtight it burns fine and will hold fire overnight on one chunk.

People who sneer at Willow, pine and the like are "firewood snobs" and probably live where there is an abundance of hardwoods. That type country is in the great minority over the world.

Harry K

Back