Burning wood is like stealing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermsp

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Oil company called and they said I am overdue based upon heating degree days. I politely declined and advised that my two 330 gallon tanks are just about full. When the weather is like this I feel like I'm stealing...thanks Central Boiler !!!:clap:

Funny that when we stop someone else from stealing from us we feel as though we are stealing from them!

(I don't consider paying the gas man stealing - but it made a good sound bite.)

They'd screw you in a heart beat. I went out before Christmas to fill the boiler and watched the LP delivery guy stroll by really slow, I waved, he honked. In that situation their's not a better feeling in the world.

How's next years supply comin along ?

I haven't taken an LP delivery for going on 2 years now - the 500gal tank is costing me rent as a result.

What is the rent on the 500 gal tank?

The LP guys are trying to pull that one me as well. I have to buy every 18 months or you have to pay rent. We cook with it as well so I can usually buy enough to keep the dogs at bay.

Korey

Ahh, computer generated intelligence ya have ta love it. Ma Gasco send me a letter every year, "we need to come check your meter as our records show you have not purchased any gas this winter."

I sent one back to them this year.

Dear Gasco,
Please add some memory to your computer, then you will know that I have not purchased any gas from you the last 4 winters and maybe even that you have sent me the same letter the last 4 years saying I am stealing gas from you. This will save you many dollars over sending out three Gasco trucks and a crew of five only to find that I (still) have a wood burner in the backyard.

I was taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood and walked past the heating oil guy making a delivery at my neighbors house. I watched as my neighbor handed the driver a check, and got his reciept. I said to myself, "Self..... i sure as #### don't miss those days !!"

When we got home, i thew a couple pieces of wood in the stove. :cheers:

I dont consider it stealing when i am calling for logs, bucking, cleaning my saws, splitting, waiting for it to season, hauling the splits inside, burning, sweeping the area, cleaning the insert and tossing ashes :p

Gas companies have been stealing from everyone for years. I feel great that for once I am not paying out the ---- for propane to heat this drafty house to a luke-warm temp. I am still using a little propane for one water heater and the propane furnace. The furnace kicks on in the early morning before I restart the furnace. It is really cold this winter so maybe I will use 100 gallons instead of just 90 like I did last year.:clap:

I dont consider it stealing when i am calling for logs, bucking, cleaning my saws, splitting, waiting for it to season, hauling the splits inside, burning, sweeping the area, cleaning the insert and tossing ashes :p

The problem is that I ENJOY doing all that (except the "inside" part - thanks to the OWB). which feeds my guilt complex.

I always try to look bummed when I say "sorry honey, I wish I could take care of that honey-do list but I have to go fell a tree for firewood, don't you feel bad for me?" I think she has figured me out, could it be that stupid grin on my face when I think of logging?

I haven't taken an LP delivery for going on 2 years now - the 500gal tank is costing me rent as a result.

I fixed that problem, I bought my own 500 gallon tank. Not only can I now shop around for the best price, but I get wholesale price and generally save about 50-60 cents a gallon. We do use propane for our stove, dryer, and DHW in the summer, so I usually get filled every other year, Our central heat is propane, but we only use it when we go on vacation in the winter.

I fixed that problem, I bought my own 500 gallon tank. Not only can I now shop around for the best price, but I get wholesale price and generally save about 50-60 cents a gallon. We do use propane for our stove, dryer, and DHW in the summer, so I usually get filled every other year, Our central heat is propane, but we only use it when we go on vacation in the winter.

How much did your tank cost? I inquired about purchasing my 5 year old tank and was quoted about $900. So I told them if they were going to charge me $150 a year rent they could just buy back the propane and pull the tank. Then they backtracked and said they could "adjust" the rent down to $75 a year.
So that's where I am now. If I buy at least $200 every other year in propane it works out to about $3 a month to lease the tank.

How much did your tank cost? I inquired about purchasing my 5 year old tank and was quoted about $900. So I told them if they were going to charge me $150 a year rent they could just buy back the propane and pull the tank. Then they backtracked and said they could "adjust" the rent down to $75 a year.
So that's where I am now. If I buy at least $200 every other year in propane it works out to about $3 a month to lease the tank.

I paid $325 from the local company. It was about 15 years old but in excellent shape. I was informed they will last a couple of lifetimes if some reasonable maintenance is used. Only thing to really go bad is the valve and gauge and both can be easily replaced. I figure I have already got my investment back and it should be all savings from now on.

You can find them used for under $500 but it usually takes some searching.

Excellent idea, I am going to give that a try - rep coming your way.

Only gas i have burt is my hot water tank.. other then that i might had the furnace on for a hour one day.. then that was just to see if it still worked.. LOve to be able to run my lines in my wood furnace to heat my water.. Just have to wait to see might do that... Pay $30 month to heat my water.. Nice and toasty now... We burn maybe two loads a day on my hotblast , after midnight nothing else till 5 the next day during the work week. Came home today and the house was setting on 62 , alittle cold but a hour and it was up to 70

They'd screw you in a heart beat. I went out before Christmas to fill the boiler and watched the LP delivery guy stroll by really slow, I waved, he honked. In that situation their's not a better feeling in the world.

How's next years supply comin along ?

LESS than the heartbeat--

Ahh, computer generated intelligence ya have ta love it. Ma Gasco send me a letter every year, "we need to come check your meter as our records show you have not purchased any gas this winter."

I sent one back to them this year.

Dear Gasco,
Please add some memory to your computer, then you will know that I have not purchased any gas from you the last 4 winters and maybe even that you have sent me the same letter the last 4 years saying I am stealing gas from you. This will save you many dollars over sending out three Gasco trucks and a crew of five only to find that I (still) have a wood burner in the backyard.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: dorks!!!!!

I burn about 25 gal of No2 heating oil a year. That comes from the days that I sleep in a little and the furnace actually kicks on:blob2:.

Back