Buy the MS 290 or spend the extra money for the more powerful .........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. It is easy to see that the MS362 is worth $300 more than the MS290. Weather or not the MS362 is worth the price of admission to you is not so easy. A Timex will keep your appointments, but a Rolex shows that you care...

Asking.....Is the 362 Really worth $300 more than the 290?....no doubt it's worth more, but $300??!!
It's my "Tightwad" 290, vs my Wants 362.....
Only you can answer that. But, I will say I've *never* known anyone to regret buying too high quality. But plenty of people regret buying inferior quality.

You've run saws for 40+ years. You know the specs. You know your finances. You know your wants.

Yes. It is easy to see that the MS362 is worth $300 more than the MS290. Weather or not the MS362 is worth the price of admission to you is not so easy. A Timex will keep your appointments, but a Rolex shows that you care...

Timex was too cheap.....
I bought a Tag Heuer about 20 years ago, still wearing it now.....Half the Rolex price and every bit as good!!
.....Your point is well taken

Only you can answer that. But, I will say I've *never* known anyone to regret buying too high quality. But plenty of people regret buying inferior quality.

You've run saws for 40+ years. You know the specs. You know your finances. You know your wants.

Thanks SpaceMole.....Good point.

....But it's gonna be difficult for this "Tightwad" to turn loose of that extra $300!!
I could still walk out with a 290 and $300 to spend wisely on whiskey and women.....but at my age....maybe the 362....
Decisions, decisions......

I wear a Timex and cut with a 362. 35 years ago I would gladly cut 40" oak with a 290, not today, my back knows the difference. I doubt the Timex will ever cause me pain but the 290, albeit a solid saw would add a less than desirable comfort level to a chore I actually enjoy. It is totally your call and the size of wood you cut is a big factor. Personally, the 2-saw plan of 250 and 362 sounds good to me. Worth $300 more? To me it is.

It really depends on what your intentions are with the saw. How frequently you'll be cutting and the diameter of wood you will be faced with. You don't really need to go overkill on a saw that you will barely use and not really use it was intended for. If you're cutting up smaller diameter limbs and not very often, then go with a ms250 or ms290. For bigger chunks on a routine basis go with a 441, 460, 660, etc. Just something to think about. It's fun to shop for new saws though haha. Good luck.

A lot of my cutting is the limbs from fallen Oak trees........starting at the tops at about wrist size and working up to about
16 to 18 inches.....much more than that and I call in the pros.....

Okay tightwad

Think of it this way, the 362 being a strato engine will cut more wood than the 290 on the same amount of fuel. Not to mention the emissions are less, better for you and the environment.

I am biased though as I run a 362 but have also ran the 290. Not impressed with the 290. Good luck.

.......MS 362??

The 290 will do everything I need.....but weighs 13 lbs!!
The 362 is also 13lbs, but more modern technology, and stronger, BUT $300 more money!!!
No doubt the 362 is the choice, and I can afford either.....But I'd like to justify the extra $300 cost.
I'm 66 years young and cut a lot of downed Oaks and Pine...(read clean up)..
If I'm gonna use a 13lb saw, I would like the most power....but again, $300 extra !!??
I live on 25 acres, but only clean up about 8 to 9 acres....but many trees are Live Oak and Water Oak.

Can I really justify the $700 vs $400 cost? Or is the Farm Boss 290 the best buy for me?

Note: I've been using chain saws all my life and keep them a long time....see my Super XL post....
I've been doing this clean up for 40 + years with the Super XL Automatic and later added a Husky 51....
both are still working.....but getting old.

Is the 362 REALLY worth almost twice the cost of the 290 ?......IF so, WHY??

Thanks Y'All,
Andy

There is no sane reason to buy a MS290, unless price is the only thing on your mind - but it actually does cut wood.
If you look at how long a chainsaw can be expected to last, the price difference isn't really much to speak of - and don't forget the fun factor, nice tools are much more fun to work with!

Last edited:
why not check out the ms291. its got a better power to weight ratio, better air filtration and the latest engine technology. its also $200 less than the saw you REALLY want!:msp_biggrin:

A lot of my cutting is the limbs from fallen Oak trees........starting at the tops at about wrist size and working up to about
16 to 18 inches.....much more than that and I call in the pros.....

You want a ms261 for that work. Under 18" I don't think a 362 would be much better. I had two 361s for a couple years. Had a 290 for about 4 months before I sold it.

I bought an 029 years ago. It was the biggest saw I had ever owned. I thought it was great.
My dad had always ran an 025.
It siezed on me last winter and with the help of the fellas on this site I rebuilt it. It runs fine again but I made the mistake of rebuilding a chainsaw. This led me to wanting to rebuild another one (get my drift):msp_wub:

So I bought a blown 044 off ebay and dropped a Big bore kit in it. The ease of working on the 044 vs the 029 was night and day. That being said the bigger saw made my 029 look like a handsaw. Sure it was a fw pounds heavier but the power is worth it to me. In this situation your getting more power for the same weight. Yes it is worth it.
Apples to oranges I know but once you run the bigger saw you will be smiling and praying you don't have to go back to the small ones.
Go up to your dealer and tell them you want to run both saws through an 18" oak.

That will tell you what saw to buy.

For $400 you can get a much better saw than an MS 290. That was the first STIHL I bought and I replaced it with an MS361, used. An MS 260 will work just as well as a 290 and the 10.5 lbs weight makes a world of difference, especially for us 66ers. Or you could bide your time and wait for a used MS261 which is a little heavier but much better quality. That MS 290 is a TURD in my book!!

With the magnesium engine cases on the 362, you won't worry about pulling on a pinched bar. The pro saws are also very easy to work on. That saw will be noticeably faster than the 290-fun factor. If weight is really an issue, see if your dealer will let you cut with a 261, then decide. I understand being a tight wad you can't spend it if you don't have it. Given the criteria, go with the 362 you won't be sorry. Nothing wrong with a 290 though.

OP, Welcome to AS.

If the $300.00 extra means that you'll not eat for the next few weeks, buy the lesser saw. However, if you want a grin on your face every time you run a saw,....

Well never mind.

Like SawTroll said, the 290 will cut wood.......:msp_scared: Just depends on how much time you want to spend in the cut. :msp_sneaky:

Get a Echo 600p. Not much slower than a 362(if at all!) at a very good price. If Brad says it's a good saw that's enough for me!

Last edited:
Back