Buy the MS 290 or spend the extra money for the more powerful .........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks SpaceMole.....Good point.

....But it's gonna be difficult for this "Tightwad" to turn loose of that extra $300!!
I could still walk out with a 290 and $300 to spend wisely on whiskey and women.....but at my age....maybe the 362....
Decisions, decisions......

A lot of my cutting is the limbs from fallen Oak trees........starting at the tops at about wrist size and working up to about
16 to 18 inches.....much more than that and I call in the pros.....

There is more firewood cut with non pro saw period. Get the 290 it will do what you want to do just fine. Timex rollex tag, they all strap on your wrist and all tell the same time.:msp_scared::bang:

You want a ms261 for that work. Under 18" I don't think a 362 would be much better. I had two 361s for a couple years. Had a 290 for about 4 months before I sold it.

Right!

If you have to stay with Stihl and for that size wood, the 261 is by far the best choice!!!

I think the OP might want to think about selling one or two of the saws he's never gonna use again after he buys a 261 or 362. That would make it a little easier to justify.

I've not run a 362 but have no doubt it would be a great saw for the OP. But the 261 is going to do anything he's ever going to need to do, and it's lighter than a 362 with the same technology. I love mine, and although I have an 18" bar for it, I almost never use it. It's more nimble, lighter, and more fun with a 16" bar. As I get older, I'm going to really appreciate it.

I almost never run my 039 with a 20" bar now that I have the 261. But if he buys a 362, I agree with others he should keep the 250.

A lot of my cutting is the limbs from fallen Oak trees........starting at the tops at about wrist size and working up to about
16 to 18 inches.....much more than that and I call in the pros.....

We're similar in age and cutting tasks. I'd pass over the MS 290 in favor of a pro-level saw because they're designed to be easier to work on and maintain, are more dependable, and have a better power/weight ratio. Stihl because you said that's the best dealer support in your area. If weight and the ability to work longer hours are factors, a 50cc saw would be the most efficient size for the size wood you intend to cut = MS 261. Then again, you may want to start working consistently in 18" and over wood and the MS 362 would be a better choice and the MS 250 can do the limbing. Then there's no reason to call in the pro's unless power lines and structures are involved. :msp_smile:

No matter what, keep the MS 250. Good luck and safe cutting.

trade the ms250 in on the ms261 and be done...

Or sell off the husky 51 for 150 bucks on craigslist to offset costs, keep the 250 and buy the 362. The vibration difference alone will make the 290 look and feel like a rattle machine. The 361/362 is very smooth and has more power as well as getting 20-25% better mpg.

I think I just figured out why the 250 and 290 are top sellers for Stihl.
It's Dollars per HP.....bigger-nicer saws cost A LOT more per HP.
250- $100/HP
290- $105/HP
261- $149/HP
362- $152/HP
441- $160/HP

.....And the reverse happens with Pounds per HP as you get bigger
250- 3.37 lb/hp
290- 3.42 lb/hp
261- 3.09 lb/hp
362- 2.82 lb/hp
441- 2.6 lb/hp

Yes.....I'm retired and have too much time on my hands!!
As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to cut some Oak....get ready Ol' Homelite.....
Dealer ain't open 'til Wednesday!

I think I just figured out why the 250 and 290 are top sellers for Stihl.
It's Dollars per HP.....bigger-nicer saws cost A LOT more per HP.
250- $100/HP
290- $105/HP
261- $149/HP
362- $152/HP
441- $160/HP

.....And the reverse happens with Pounds per HP as you get bigger
250- 3.37 lb/hp
290- 3.42 lb/hp
261- 3.09 lb/hp
362- 2.82 lb/hp
441- 2.6 lb/hp

Yes.....I'm retired and have too much time on my hands!!
As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to cut some Oak....get ready Ol' Homelite.....
Dealer ain't open 'til Wednesday!

Most HP per pound of saw is how I like to look at it. :D

Saws are cheap compared to a lot of stuff and also compared to the length of time we use them...

As you know by now......youth is wasted on the young . If you get the ms290 ,and you dont have arthritis or rheumatism or fractured bones
from being a SURVIVOR :msp_smile:...the ms290 will give you a shakedown clear up to youre noggin and it will feel like you do have those ailments !( not really :msp_biggrin:)

The ms261 has nice antivibration and is easy to start IF you pay attention to the instructions. My dealer sold me one for 560 with a 20 inch bar and a lesson and even PUT it in the trunk for me. I havent gotten service like that since I went to the Philippines.

The ms261 is for me something that I will mention in my will....because it will be useful 10-20 years from now....a lot of other cheap stuff
I have purchased over the years is just plain crap

My opinion, a 290 will cut wood but what a POS. Just look at what you have to do to get the top cover off. Plastic cases are strong enough but everything that attaches to it threads into weak plastic, prone to stripping.
There are better options.

Youre 66 years old! Treat yourself to a lighter weight pro saw, and send it out to be ported before the first tank of fuel is run through it. Both!

Note, Im 61 and am now wondering why I waited to get pro saws.

Think about it, gonna spend some hundreds more for a pro model, then around 250 more to get it ported. Now, taking care of your equipment, its gonna last you the rest of your sawing life no doubt. Forever. This works out to ridiculous cheap per day to own a real dang nice lighter weight professionaly engineered and built saw, that has the aftermarket engineering adjustments made to it that make them work like saws in the olden days before epa crapola. Freeking small negligible pocket change per day difference. Modern design with olden days reliability and performance, better actually, whats not to like?

Theres thrifty and frugal, then just cheap for no practical reason. Dang Vern, live a little! HAHAHAHA These are cheapazz chainsaws, we arent discussing saving ten or twenty grand on a truck by buying used or something like that. The cost difference between Wow, is this slick!! and heavy boring ya, it kinda works.... class is *peanuts* in the long run.

Get like the 261 or 2, whatever that is, around the 50 cc pro saw model, get it ported while it is still pristine clean, itll stomp the stock heavier 60 cc saw with much less weight. Dont look back.

I have an 029 in stock, however it sees limited use. Large dimensional lumber, 6x10/12 and larger Glulam Beams.
Back to the OP, my default answer will get the bigger saw

.......MS 362??

The 290 will do everything I need.....but weighs 13 lbs!!
The 362 is also 13lbs, but more modern technology, and stronger, BUT $300 more money!!!
No doubt the 362 is the choice, and I can afford either.....But I'd like to justify the extra $300 cost.
I'm 66 years young and cut a lot of downed Oaks and Pine...(read clean up)..
If I'm gonna use a 13lb saw, I would like the most power....but again, $300 extra !!??
I live on 25 acres, but only clean up about 8 to 9 acres....but many trees are Live Oak and Water Oak.

Can I really justify the $700 vs $400 cost? Or is the Farm Boss 290 the best buy for me?

Note: I've been using chain saws all my life and keep them a long time....see my Super XL post....
I've been doing this clean up for 40 + years with the Super XL Automatic and later added a Husky 51....
both are still working.....but getting old.

Is the 362 REALLY worth almost twice the cost of the 290 ?......IF so, WHY??

Thanks Y'All,
Andy

I'm old too, I had a 141 Husky that cut all the wood that I needed. I wanted something faster but still light enough for this old body to handle. I got a 346 and it's plenty fast for me and almost as light as the 141. The price I paid is not even a thought any more, every time I pick it up, I'm grinnin'. From the description of the stuff you do, sounds like a 261 will do it all if you have to stay with a Stihl and you WILL get older and more broke down like me and you'll appreciate the almost two pounds of weight saved. No matter which you get, go with a Pro saw, you'll thank us all.:msp_biggrin:

i have to go with more power less weight a 290 will cut wood no dought but you already have a 250 good trim saw. a 290 is to close power wise for the weight penalty. a 362 is a good all around saw and a step up in power and speed of cut. you can find used deals out there to keep cost down. 362 will do more and do it better if you enjoy cutting money well spent

From the OP's description of his needs, the 261 gets my vote too. If your working under 18" hardwood, it's really about a perfect match. I'd say sell the 250 and the husky to offset some port work. A Mastermind 261 would almost certainly fit the bill.

If you call in the pros for anything big, why bother with the 362? Face it, you bought the wrong saw when you got the 250 or we wouldn't be talking about this 290 or 362.

If you got the means, just have one of the builders put together a brand new custom 261 and be done.

Latest posts

Back