buyer beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id feel better if cops weren't crooked and lazy.

Making a blanket statement like that is probably not the best way to make new friends. It would be sort of like me saying all dozer operators only took the job 'cause they couldn't finish high school and like to sit on their butt all day. Are there lazy cops? Sure. Crooked ones? Not in my department.

I hate it that you've had a bad experience with my kind, but don't think all of us are like one idiot you came across. If your experience was anything recent, call in and talk to his boss. Everybody in my profession works for somebody, some of us actually believe we can make a difference.

dd

Police stated they made the mistake of posting info as this was the first link of info about these guys in 6 months.

Sweet! Ever so often I get a break like that and I love those cases. Some days I bust my hump and accomplish nearly nothing, then someone like you drops a present like that in my lap. A huge number of crimes have been solved by concerned citizens and nosey neighbors.

I'm sorry you got shorted. Buying on Craigslist is always a little risky. Not as bad as buying goods in a bar or on the street out of a car trunk or a pickup bed.

I pay for saws by buying stuff on C/L fixing and flipping the stuff. About once a year I make an error. Last year I bought a big Honda mower that was hunting, turned out to have a bent crankshaft- dude had replaced the blade, I should have guessed why, he bent the original blade when he bent the shaft.

A couple weeks ago I bought a Husky 262 xp. Seller shows up late, it turned dark in the parking lot we picked to meet, so I didn't see how trashed the saw was. It started cold so I bought it.... For too much, because I was greedy.

I figure the risk is part of the deal....

I'd be suspicious of buying any stihl saw that hasn't had gas through it. Red flag right there. Even if he claimed to have gotten it from a friend at a dealership or whatever. I'd tell him I needed a day to think about during which time I would call all the local dealers, asking if they have a missing saw.

Ive bought 4 saws from my stihl dealer that werent fueled prior to leavin the shop..i never had an issue with that i just tell him its goin on my shelf and may not get used for a while

I have bought plenty of Stihl saw from dealer not serviced....all u have to do is ask. For example...I want o break my saws in at 32:1 instead of their mix of 50:1.

I have bought plenty of Stihl saw from dealer not serviced....all u have to do is ask. For example...I want o break my saws in at 32:1 instead of their mix of 50:1.

There are some on this forum that will say you can't buy a saw from a legit dealer, w/o it being run / serviced first.

Maybe they'll speak up and clarify things. Then again, maybe they won't.

Yup, what he said. Most, if not all prizes in a raffle are more likely than not, stolen. And, they never give away top shelf prizes. It's always crap from China, or stuff purchased from Walmart that was on close-out.

And, it's always best to have someone with no law enforcement experience what-so-ever, check to make sure it's legit, vs. someone who has almost 30 yrs. of it, and knows their way around the block.

To the OP. Sorry about what happened. Hope that in some way, you get compensated.
Well I guess we will have to quit waffling off brand new AR's with all manufacturer paperwork and notarized affidavits of donation as well as nice vintage shotguns. Hm and those saddles and buckles and miscellaneous quite nice handmade horse tack with same affidavits since its all stolen and or clearance/ china crap.

Not all people are jerks, scumbags and dirt balls yeah people get burned in deals at times I'm sorry OP got burned but yes he did the right thing. Used saws are always buyer be ware. I have never picked up a piece of equipment from either dealer I work with that hasn't been cranked and tuned before leaving the shop that I recall.
Edit yes I know you can request not to have It run but I figure its good business to have em service it off the shelf to make sure there isn't anything obviously screwy before I get to play.

Last edited:
Well I guess we will have to quit waffling off brand new AR's with all manufacturer paperwork and notarized affidavits of donation as well as nice vintage shotguns. Hm and those saddles and buckles and miscellaneous quite nice handmade horse tack with same affidavits since its all stolen and or clearance/ china crap.

Not all people are jerks, scumbags and dirt balls yeah people get burned in deals at times I'm sorry OP got burned but yes he did the right thing. Used saws are always buyer be ware. I have never picked up a piece of equipment from either dealer I work with that hasn't been cranked and tuned before leaving the shop that I recall.
Edit yes I know you can request not to have It run but I figure its good business to have em service it off the shelf to make sure there isn't anything obviously screwy before I get to play.

I was being sarcastic. I was referring to those that don't believe that some raffles do in-fact, raffle off quality items. Mostly just sour grapes on their part.

Brian, what made you think to run the numbers on the saw......something about the guy just strike you odd?

Good to be seen......

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the whole sponsorship thing. No matter whether I'm a site sponsor or not, people are gonna be talking about me, and the saws I've done. It is only fair to Darin that I continue on as a site sponsor. I'd feel bad about doing business with AS members and not paying that fee.

Brighter days ahead ; )

Good to be seen......

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the whole sponsorship thing. No matter whether I'm a site sponsor or not, people are gonna be talking about me, and the saws I've done. It is only fair to Darin that I continue on as a site sponsor. I'd feel bad about doing business with AS members and not paying that fee.

Great to see u randy! It being new and a 362 i decided I wanted a 461 and was offered a great deal in trade by the dealer you and I have used frequently where I live. The owner ran the numbers and it came back stolen. At that point both the dealer and I felt obligated to do the right thing and contact the police. We initially contacted this person by phone not knowing if maybe he had been taken as well. On the phone he seemed concerned and wanted to know what he should do. I asked him to meet me at the dealer to straighten this out and he agreed. He pulled in the lot behind my car for a few seconds then sped off. Upon reviewing the video with the police at the dealer it was evident he wrote my tag number down then sped off. Hope nothing comes of that namely snooping around my house when I am not home or especially when my wife is home alone with our small child.

Last edited:
You watch out for that bastard Brian. There are some damn nut jobs out there my friend.

For anyone that doesn't know Tnshaker.......I'll stand up and say, he is one of the good ones. He and I have done several deals, and he always does just what he says he will.

To me what you have done here is just one more example of you being a great person.

Id feel better if cops weren't crooked and lazy.

I was a Police Officer for 31 years until I retired.

The problem with police work is that you end up dealing with the 2% of the population that no one else wants to. That 2% can make one mighty cynical. The average person has no idea just how bad a person has to be to get incarcerated, and just how many times they have stepped "over the line". The rap sheets some offenders acquire and amount of innocent people effected is just sad. When the courts finally sentence someone to a State or Federal prison, these are truly bad people.

I am so thankful to be retired.

Blablabla i stick with my statement, i have called on cops few times over serious issues. they ignore everything untill u stop calling. i have never once got a call back when they said they would. So u tell me how u feel when ur convicted fellon neighbor with illegal guns comes to your door and says he's gonna kill you, he also told the other neighbors he was gonna shoot me when the time was rite. I called the cops several times and got nothing, untill they said nothing they could do, id have to call the ATF. shove yr dislikes where the sun don't shine. crooked and lazy

Latest posts

Back