Buying a 024 that has been straight gased, what do i need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncvarmint

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am buying a stihl 024 from a member here that has been straight gassed, and was wondering what i am going to need to fix it. I know i need a piston and maybe i can salvage the cylinder. Is there anything to look for as far as the crank or anything, i will replace the crank seals while i am at it. When a saw has been straight gassed, does it hurt the crank,or just the piston? This will be my first rebuild and i really need some help from you experts.
Also i can't seem to find a meteor piston anywhere, does anyone know who has one in stock? Hope to have the saw by the first of the week.
trevor

You got to crack it open to see what all went south. Most of the time just a piston and jug will get it back up and going. Good luck with the rebuild, I think Stihls are fairly easy and straight forward to rebuild.

I am buying a stihl 024 from a member here that has been straight gassed, and was wondering what i am going to need to fix it. I know i need a piston and maybe i can salvage the cylinder. Is there anything to look for as far as the crank or anything, i will replace the crank seals while i am at it. When a saw has been straight gassed, does it hurt the crank,or just the piston? This will be my first rebuild and i really need some help from you experts.
Also i can't seem to find a meteor piston anywhere, does anyone know who has one in stock? Hope to have the saw by the first of the week.
trevor

Trevor

Usually when ran without oil in the gas the piston is the first thing to go. It gets the hottest. Not knowing the history of the saw....I would suggest a PSI/vac test before taking it apart. The crank bearings should have enough lubrication residue to survive!

Seal replacement is probably a good idea as that is an older saw and the seals are old. Buying a complete gasket set which contains the seals is usually cheaper than buying the individual seals from Stihl. That saw also uses a rubber intake boot which should be inspected for cracks or tares.

I guess I wouldn't consider myself an 'expert'....but I've worked with a few saws and other mechanical items.

Dan has some good advice above.
Do what you can to salvage the cylinder but you'll need a new piston.
Tear it down, clean it up. Do the P & C . Clean or rebuild the carb. Put it back together. See how it runs. You may have to replace seals (mostly on clutch side), but see how it runs first. You can always do them later.
Take one step at a time and do it right. Don't lose parts, take notes. Enjoy it.

I don't think Meteor has a 42mm piston for the 024. Asides from OEM, the next best option is the NWP from Baileys
-Mark

Back