buying a 3120 or a 880, Which one ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3120 or 880 or both ??

• Total voters
WidowMaker1

WidowMaker1

Addicted to ArboristSite
The filter problems with 440,460,660 and 880s has been fixed with the new HD2 filters.
I have an older model 880 (alloy muff) and a mate has the new model 880 (stainless muff) and i think they are much the same,but if i had the newer one it neads the muff port enlarged.
This is the older model with a 50'' on it cutting Redgum.
[video=youtube;9HpSx52attc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HpSx52attc[/video]
cool vid! they give a good reference being from Aus myself. I cut a crap load of seasoned Ironbark and Forest Red Gum up on the farm in NSW.

The 3120 has a fixed jet carb, if that matters to you. I'm not sure you can put an unlimited 088 coil on the new version of the 880, but the 3120 is rev limited too. I want whatever can be made unlimited and fully adjustable.
yeah having an adjustable H screw is important, especially over here in Aus ...our hardwoods tend to cook lean running saws. I would have to ream out the 3120's jet to get a richer mix, but still a limited adjustment unless a fully adjustable walbro can be sourced/fitted? as for the coil there seems to be a few fixes Ive herd ... as for the 880 and 088 coil being swappable Im not shore yet, but there carby is adjustable to a degree.

johnfawn2000

johnfawn2000

ArboristSite Operative
Buying the 3120 or the 880

he guys ,looking into buying a stock 3120 or 880, australian spec ...$2200 for a new 3120, and $2500 for the new 880 ! Cant decide which i like more, there both very capable !! Just wanting to know which saw has the strongest bottom-end/ over all build and the most durable, and any other weaknesses/strengths that either saw might have ...ill be using it mainly for milling and bucking. Im not to concerned with the 3120 being a fixed jet and having a limited coil as i can always mod this if needed ..and the outboard clutch is not a problem, actually i think the outboard clutch has more positives than negatives ....just want your "honest" opinion about both saws and any problems that either saw might have down the track ....cheers
widowmaker1, i have used the 3120,since 1990 and it is still going. The saw cuts very good,but here comes the but, i had somethings changed or updated. I changed the coil to 268, an advanced the timing,the saw turns 16,000 with a gutted muffler. I put a regular semi gutted muffler,turns 14,500. The saw was loud, i mean loud. I use the saw for big stuff. Never a moments problem yet. Now watch it tear up. I am looking about a stihl 880. I use the saw to cut the wood still on the log. When it is really big i make 3 or 4 cut vertical cuts and 3or 4 cuts horizontal,then cut it off the log,i hope this makes sense.this makes it easier to pickup and split.i use stihl rapid super chain on huskey saws hold edge more chromium i was told, i use maxima k-2 oil an i am checking into manhattan oil,heard praises for this oil,super 2 cycle oil i hope i have help or maybe not confused thanks johnfawn2000

WidowMaker1

WidowMaker1

Addicted to ArboristSite
widowmaker1, i have used the 3120,since 1990 and it is still going. The saw cuts very good,but here comes the but, i had somethings changed or updated. I changed the coil to 268, an advanced the timing,the saw turns 16,000 with a gutted muffler. I put a regular semi gutted muffler,turns 14,500. The saw was loud, i mean loud. I use the saw for big stuff. Never a moments problem yet. Now watch it tear up. I am looking about a stihl 880. I use the saw to cut the wood still on the log. When it is really big i make 3 or 4 cut vertical cuts and 3or 4 cuts horizontal,then cut it off the log,i hope this makes sense.this makes it easier to pickup and split.i use stihl rapid super chain on huskey saws hold edge more chromium i was told, i use maxima k-2 oil an i am checking into manhattan oil,heard praises for this oil,super 2 cycle oil i hope i have help or maybe not confused thanks johnfawn2000
16/14.5 K that's screaming, and its still going strong with no bottom end trouble and such ??? Pre - emission regulated saw I guess?

blsnelling
o.k. I will recheck sir an get back 2 you, has been a while since i checked.have you changed the coil sir and advanced the timing on a 3120, that causes you to serious doubt what i say.

I'm just saying that, based on personal experience, a 3120 cannot turn those kinds of RPMs without a LOT more mods than that. I'm not sure 16K RPMs is possible at all. I doubt the crank would take it even if you could port it to do it, but that's beyond what I do.

johnfawn2000

johnfawn2000

ArboristSite Operative
i'm just saying that, based on personal experience, a 3120 cannot turn those kinds of rpms without a lot more mods than that. I'm not sure 16k rpms is possible at all. I doubt the crank would take it even if you could port it to do it, but that's beyond what i do.
sir, i will get back to you 2maro,i need to hit the sack.the man that help us last name is morgan from north carolina ,he would help some but would not show all his cards. Thats is all he raced at that time was the 3120s,goodnight johnfawn

blsnelling
sir, i will get back to you 2maro,i need to hit the sack.the man that help us last name is morgan from north carolina ,he would help some but would not show all his cards. Thats is all he raced at that time was the 3120s,goodnight johnfawn

Is the saw modded beyond the coil and timing? Is it ported, etc? The cranks are known to be a weak link in a hopped up 3120. Even tuning one like I did in the vid is frowned upon.

Latest posts