Buying a new "Clone" saw?? What do you think?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wessa20 do you like the M tronic? Seems like a lot of stinking computer stuff in there....?
I only have the MS261C and it cost me a total of $100 off the Bay- I had all the parts to fix from a MS291, so a little more in to it- but it was worth the gamble at that price. Great saws but they have had some growing pains (MS661 for example).

W

I think @MustangMike has built some clone saws. Maybe he could give you his thoughts?

I've done a few of the Asian MS 660 clones with the Cross P+C. With OEM piston pin clips, OEM piston pin bearing, and O ring for the fuel cap, and some "attention" to the chain adjuster, they run pretty darn good. In fact, the Cross P+C results in a saw that is stronger than stock (assembled w/o base gasket).

Make sure you check all the ports on the jug and bevel them properly. Often, the outside of the intake port also needs some work (they are often not centered).

The Cross comes with Caber Rings. If you like a project, they can be fun. There are no instructions, just a box of parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_160129692.jpg
    IMG_20171229_160129692.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 23
I have been looking for an upgrade to my O26. Thought around the 70cc mark. I like the 440 and 460 s but they are still crazy priced around me and look to be worn the heck out. Cant do the 1300 or whatever for a new one. BUT I found a guy that builds nothing but clones with all new aftermarket parts. I can pick up one of these for around 700. He has a 441 up right now and said he is going to start on a 660 soon which will cost about the same , for some reason he said the 441 was just as much to build as the 660. What do you think? I just like the idea of a new saw and the bigger cc.

Where in MI are you?

I am anticipating the release of the 462 soon and have about a 1 year old 461 I might be persuaded to let go.

Spending a couple of hundred on a kit for a 90cc copy of Stihl's flagship saw is a great idea for some fun and play. But if you are a serious firewood that needs a good saw to regularly use as a dependable tool, forget it. These saws are only good for enthusiasts that have the ability to constantly repair them and have OEM saws to do the real work.

Spending a couple of hundred on a kit for a 90cc copy of Stihl's flagship saw is a great idea for some fun and play. But if you are a serious firewood that needs a good saw to regularly use as a dependable tool, forget it. These saws are only good for enthusiasts that have the ability to constantly repair them and have OEM saws to do the real work.
I have absolutely no use for 90ccs but one of these intrigues me for something to throw a big bar on and beat the **** out of.

A 660 is not, IMO, a firewood saw. But for milling and bucking large logs, they are great.

I would never compare them with OEM, but for someone who has need for one a few times / year, if built with a few OEM parts, these things can be far more useful than just a curiosity and will likely provide several year of useful service.

Last year they had a competition for them at a GTG, and none of them blew up and some of them ran very strong.

There's a couple threads in the equipment-chainsaw forum reviewing the kits. Seem to do okay but seems very un-American, maybe even treasonous, to buy stolen German designs. :)
At least he is acknowledging that they are clones. Around me, they put a Stihl bar on it and just sell it saying its a MS660 and rip off unsuspecting buyers.

W
I'm always flagging those. I've posted some 'ads' Telling beware of the fraudulent posting.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

STIHL ms 461 chain saw. New 20" on sale for $849.95, was $1079.

Ideal for felling, limbing, or bucking of large diameter trees.

Engine 76cc, 6 bhp, weight 14.6 lbs

Other bar length are also available on request, for a adjusted fee.

Joe Signs Power Equipment LLC Owego,NY
show contact info
00i0i_7Z1Fh0fBK9F_300x300.jpg

Where in Michigan are you? I have a OE 372, a Stihl 660 and a 562XP if you would like to compare. Not a great representation since they have all been ported but will give you an idea weight etc...

Latest posts

Back