Buying a Taylor CB500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a Taylor CB500 (burns coal or wood)170,000 BTU/hr 5,000 sq ft 12–24 hr burn time Maximum BTU’s 500,000. My question is I live in a small mobile home (just under 1000 sq foot) but in a couple of years, I will be building my house (which will be a little over 3000 sq foot). I know the stove is a little to big for my mobile home, but would having a big stove such as the CB500 cause me more problems than its worth? or should I try to go with a smaller stove like a Taylor 450 which is115,000 BTU/hr 2500 sq ft 12 – 24 Hr burn time Maximum BTU’s 300,000 Max Sq ft 6250. What do you guys think? Thanks.

I am having a 450 installed this week. It is going to heat my 3000 sq ft house and a 300 sq ft barn. Should have all the heat I need. The 450 has hook ups for three buildings or pool/hot tub combinations. We have 40 acres to cut off of so the coal burner never crossed my mind...

We also looked at the Central Boiler CL5036. The Central Boiler dealer told me if I didn't buy a stove from him to buy a Taylor, then he took me up to look at the Taylor he heated his home with for 20 years.

I would go with the 450 if you have access to plenty of wood. It should give you all the heat you need...

Good luck on your decision......:chainsaw:

Thanks for your input. I hadn't even thought about the coal burner either until the guy offered to sell the stove to me for last years price which is $6800 and after he sells the two he has left (he bought them a week before the new price changes for the taylor stoves took affect this past summer) he will have to sell future coal burners for $7400. However he sells the 450 for about $5600. I guess if I went with the 450 also, I could take the money I would save and buy a log spitter.

If that price includes installation I would jump on it...My 450 is going to be $6976.00 installed. I poured the pad and bought and buried the pex myself. My barn will be an additional $600.00.

Looking forward to firing it up this fall....

Furnace Arrived!!!

Well, the long wait is over. The furnace was delivered and set on the pad today. They will be back to hook it up next week. We poured the pad 8x12 with a 2 foot knock out in the back for the pex to go up into the furnace. This gives me close to 4 feet in front of the furnace to load the wood while standing on concrete. The only thing I would do different is run pex or whatever is recommended in the forms before pouring the pad. Would have kept the snow/ice melted this winter. Can't think of everything....

I miss quoted the furnace in my first post...There are hook ups for two buildings, and also a domestic hot water hook up. Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited:
Looks good! I can't wait to get mine. I have to pour my pad (hopefully this weekend) and dig my ditch before they deliver mine. Now I guess you need to start working on your wood pile. :greenchainsaw:

Supposed to get down to 45 tonight, so I built my first fire late this afternoon. My barn went from 66 to 75 in about 2o minutes once the water reached 130. I would imagine when the water gets to 180 there is going to be a surplus of heat. Went to check it about an hour later and noticed the heat exchange was leaking. Shut both lines off @ the furnace and await the plumber to fix what he should have done right the first time.

There is no heat coming from the exchance in my house. The line is hot above the pump, and the pump is hot, but the return line from the heat exchange is cold. I read in the manual this means the lines need bled.

I remember distinctly the plumber said he was bleeding the lines then he said he was going to run the system to check for leaks. Why can't people do things right the first time????:censored:

Anyways here are some pics of the first fire. Hope to be up and runnin soon.

Looking Good! I am hoping I will get mine up and running by the end of this week.

The plumber came out the next day and fixxed everything in quick manner. So far I couldn't be happier. It has been in the high 30s a few nights and our house is nice and warm. So is my workshop for that matter.

Looks like we are going to use a lot of wood. Good thing I enjoy cutting. Been so busy with my business (Screen Printing/Embroidery) getting outdoors and cutting wood seems like a vacation. Going to do my best to keep track of our usage. Hopefully it will be 6 full cords or less.

Post some pics when you have yours installed. Oh yeah, did you go for the 500 coal or the 450?

I bought the CB500. For the price, I felt I couldn't pass it up since the stove burns coal or wood. The installation should be done by tomorrow evening. I'll see about getting some pictures posted.:clap:

I've had a Taylor T-500CB for 2 years now!! Hope you like it!! I know I love mine!! =]
Hey guys, I am thinking about buying a Taylor CB500 (burns coal or wood)170,000 BTU/hr 5,000 sq ft 12–24 hr burn time Maximum BTU’s 500,000. My question is I live in a small mobile home (just under 1000 sq foot) but in a couple of years, I will be building my house (which will be a little over 3000 sq foot). I know the stove is a little to big for my mobile home, but would having a big stove such as the CB500 cause me more problems than its worth? or should I try to go with a smaller stove like a Taylor 450 which is115,000 BTU/hr 2500 sq ft 12 – 24 Hr burn time Maximum BTU’s 300,000 Max Sq ft 6250. What do you guys think? Thanks.

Well, knowing what I know now I wish I would have bought my Taylor a couple of years ago. This is my first year with mine and every month that I have used it this winter I have saved between 50% to 70% on my electric bill compared to last year. Also, the guy I bought my stove from included free delivery and installation (labor only). Even the items that I needed like the water lines and insulation was cheaper buying from him than going to lowes or other places for the materials. So, yes I am very happy with my Taylor CB500. Hope to keep it around for years to come.

Latest posts

Back