Buying my first chainsaw. Lowe's OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bible states JESUS drove a Ford. It says “ HE walked everywhere.” :popcorn2:

If we're going for the religious aspect, you do Know that GMC IS an acronym right? it stands for God's Mechanical Curse

CHEVROLET= Crank Hammers Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time

And of Course We ALL KNOW:

FORD=First On Race Day ;)

Hey Where's Dave Hadden from the P&R Forum? We're Just having Fun With Word's here :)

Doug :cheers:

If we're going for the religious aspect, you do Know that GMC IS an acronym right? it stands for God's Mechanical Curse

Hey Where's Dave Hadden from the P&R Forum? We're Just having Fun With Word's here :)

And who was the mechanic that made Ol 999 run so well for Barney Olfield so the coined the phrase "win on Sunday sell on Monday "?
And I may be wrong on all of this.

What is an 18" stihl?

I got 16" bars for an 090 and 017..........
where the he!! ya been? show up after 10 pages of a perfectly good thread. :buttkick: dang, gettin slow in yer old age. i don't remeber the 16" bar for the 090 but i do remember the big a$$ bar for it that barely fit in the cab of my p/u. :eek:

where the he!! ya been? show up after 10 pages of a perfectly good thread. :buttkick: dang, gettin slow in yer old age. i don't remeber the 16" bar for the 090 but i do remember the big a$$ bar for it that barely fit in the cab of my p/u. :eek:
Miss Ya Ol Buddy.
And thanks for baby sitting the lil feller.
You getting ready to lay down plastic in a few weeks.
We're getting ready too.
Getting ready to heat up the green house!!!!

Still not legal here yet......

Do you sell your "maters"? Or just make a lot of juice and sauce?
Sell them. When they don't get sold quick I've seen my Buddy load TONS on a truck and haul them to food banks.
Fresh isn't seen much at food banks.
Great farm they have.
52 kinds of apples.
5th or 6th generation on the same farm.

Found On Road Dead. GMC, Got Mechanic Coming, what's so bad, I work for a GM dealer.

Steve

Wife and I recently bought a house on ~20 acres. Its heavily wooded, has a quarter mile long driveway, and we heat primarily with wood. We'll burn maybe about five cord a year. We will order a grapple load, 9-12 cord, and cut it, split it, and stack it. I'm not looking to clear cut the place, but any trees that have fallen, we are looking to cut up and haul off in the Kubota. Just looking to do the typical homeowner stuff.

Here's the rub. I have ~$250 in Lowe's gift cards, and my Dad is a vet. With the 10% off and the gift cards I'm not looking at too much out of pocket for a Husky 455. With the house purchase and a newborn, we're pretty wiped out financially. Now I've heard mix things about the saws at "big box stores" and to avoid them. How they sell cheaper versions of the saws, etc. Is that the case? There is a Stihl dealer about 20m from me, but that is a bit out of our price range. I can score the Husky 455 from Lowe's for a bit over $100 which is feasible for us.

tl;dr - Will a Husky 455 from Lowe's hold up for a typical homeowner heating with firewood?

Thank you for your time.

My summary of the 13 pages of posts...
The Husky 455 will work fine for your needs. The Lowes or chainsaw shops sell the same saw. A chainsaw shop will likely help you with more informed advise.
Run it on ethanol-free fuel if possible, if not don't keep ethanol containing in your saw when it's not being used as it degrades the carburetor diaphragm.
A consumer grade saw with a sharp chain will out cut a similar displacement pro grade saw with a dull chain.
Learn to sharpen your chain with a file. Taking a chain into a shop for sharpening will shorten the service life of the chain as they take too much material when they sharpen it.
I still have my first saw I bought 20+ years ago, a homeowner grade McCulloch 3818 with a 18" 3/8 pico bar and chain. Still starts easy and runs great and has cut a huge amount of firewood.
It doesn't get much use these days, but it has served me so well that I just don't want to part with it.
Lastly, if the need arises you will be ever so grateful that you are wearing cut resistant chaps. Wouldn't consider cutting without hearing protection and a face shield.

Latest posts

Back