buying new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, I am looking to buy a general purpose saw for firewood which in your opinion is the best saw for the job?

I am going to say MS390 just because I have had mine for over a year and LOVE it

muffler and oiler mods make it better.
get some other opinions though.

1. What size trees?
  2. How much firewood?
  3. What size budget?
  4. What dealers do you like?
  5. Are you a hefty guy or a little runt?

Need to know all of those answers to give you a recommendation.

Last edited:
Dolmar 510 at your local dealer!

What price range are you looking at? What size wood are you cutting?

I don't have one but a lot of firewood has been cut with 029s and similar size /price saws. Depending on the size trees or wood in general a 50-60cc saw should geterdone

1. What size trees?
  2. How much firewood?
  3. What size budget?
  4. What dealers do you like?
  5. Are you a hefty guy or a little runt?

Need to know all of those answers to give you a recommendation.

So true. So true.

A good 60cc saw should take care of most firewood needs with ease.

But what are you cuttin?:monkey:

also a pro construted model of any make will make a big diffrence! Examples that come to mind is a 420 Dolmar small saw but cuts like a big saw and in most cases will easily do what a firewood cutter suppling his own wood! However if you can spring for it a larger saw will do it much better again go with a pro saw of any make and make sure you have a good dealer to support you!

then they can double as exstended reach saws to prune the furit trees from the ground

Seriously I find the only way to have the right size for the job at hand is to have several to choose from. Personally if I were to have one saw it would probably run a little larger than what I need for most use. I can still cut small stuff with a bigger saw but I find it difficult trying to cut bigger stuff with a small saw.

Last edited:
Unless you define your cutting profile, its impossible to give a good answer.

I got a Stihl MS270, because it was one size over what I assessed as my cutting profile. This is how I would write my profile.

Weekend Wood Cutter, maybe 30 days out of the year.
Typical cutting birch and spruce
Size of logs from 2 inch to 10 inch 80%, 10-24 inch 20%
Logs on the ground and stacked
Maximum cutting of cords per year about 8

What that does is put me into the Homeowner/Farm Class, not pro
Doesn't mean a pro saw is out, but less likely
I like Stihl, two Stihl dealers in town, so I got Stihl.
Shop guy and I thought an MS260 would fit the bill, but there would be some occasional serious cutting in the16-24 inch wood range, so I went with the MS270. No regrets. Doesn't hurt to jump one saw up, bad to figure too low.

One saw can meet your needs if they are limited enough that adjusting around it is not a major issue (i.e. why have two saws when you can use one for the job with a bit more work or effort?)

i agree

Unless you define your cutting profile, its impossible to give a good answer.

I got a Stihl MS270, because it was one size over what I assessed as my cutting profile. This is how I would write my profile.

Weekend Wood Cutter, maybe 30 days out of the year.
Typical cutting birch and spruce
Size of logs from 2 inch to 10 inch 80%, 10-24 inch 20%
Logs on the ground and stacked
Maximum cutting of cords per year about 8

What that does is put me into the Homeowner/Farm Class, not pro
Doesn't mean a pro saw is out, but less likely
I like Stihl, two Stihl dealers in town, so I got Stihl.
Shop guy and I thought an MS260 would fit the bill, but there would be some occasional serious cutting in the16-24 inch wood range, so I went with the MS270. No regrets. Doesn't hurt to jump one saw up, bad to figure too low.

One saw can meet your needs if they are limited enough that adjusting around it is not a major issue (i.e. why have two saws when you can use one for the job with a bit more work or effort?)

Smokerr you have got my cutting profile just about right. Hope this helps you other guys with any advice you can give me.:agree2:

Smokerr you have got my cutting profile just about right. Hope this helps you other guys with any advice you can give me.:agree2:

If so, then he also gave you a good recommendation! Other saws in the neighborhood might be Dolmar 5100, Husqvarna 353/Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 359/Jonsered 2159 or, even if it's a bit bigger, the Makita 6401 which is the same as Dolmar 6400, but usually at a bargain price. The Makita is also a saw that can grow with you, stick around and you'll find out how!

Choose brand from what dealer you like in your area, handle them in the store and you'll probably figure out which one is right. A saw that feels right will always do a better job for you than one you don't like to handle, and this tops minor differences in power specs.

MS880 and a 3120.

Both must be ported with 60" bars and full comp square chisel chain.

Plus 1. It's better to have too much saw and not need it. Than to not have enough saw and need it.

But you know semi-comp chain is faster on big bars right?:popcorn:

Last edited:
Makita 510 at Baileys for 359.00

Wow,

I paid less than that for my 5100 3 years ago.

The 510 was way under $300 at that time.

But then again, my dealer seems to beat every price quote I have heard on here.

Latest posts

Back