Buying Norwood Mill, questions..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello! As I said in a previous post, my dad and I have decided to buy a Norwood Lumbermate 2000 this spring. We have settled on this mill for sure. But now I want to hear from people who have owned this mill, to find out what essentials we will also need. Example, what kind of sharpener for the blades, what kind of hand tools to move the logs, what mill attachments will I need to get? We want to order everything we are going to need to get started. Also, are the Norwood blades the ones I need or is there another blade that is recommended? Thanks!!

Hello! As I said in a previous post, my dad and I have decided to buy a Norwood Lumbermate 2000 this spring. We have settled on this mill for sure. But now I want to hear from people who have owned this mill, to find out what essentials we will also need. Example, what kind of sharpener for the blades, what kind of hand tools to move the logs, what mill attachments will I need to get? We want to order everything we are going to need to get started. Also, are the Norwood blades the ones I need or is there another blade that is recommended? Thanks!!

I have owned one for over two and a half years. The 23briggs, with the log turner/loader. Does a fantastic job. I also have the Norwood sharpener and setter. All good products, and do a fantastic job. The vertical log posts are great!!!

The mill has been VERY well thought out and is made to last. The log taper/toe board is worth its cost. Especially with the larger logs.

As for the blades, I would use Cooks super sharps. Cheaper blades and as good or even a bit better. The Cooks blades have impressed me from the start.
I use the 1 1/4" blades only. Not impressed with the 1 1/2" blades.

You can buy the same moisture meter for less, if you go to the manufacturer directly.

Good luck

Kevin

The Norwood site has a forum, of which many members there are also here.

Woodmizer

Why do you not want a woodmizer? they have a home factory in your area. I love mine and am wondering why you would not want one?

You will also need something to handle logs. A skidsteer with a grapple bucket has worked well for me but a tractor with grapple bucket, or excavator with thumb is also handy. The skidsteer is handy for getting rid of sawdust and slabs. Pallet forks help move stacks of lumber but are not all that great for loading logs on the mill.

Why do you not want a woodmizer? they have a home factory in your area. I love mine and am wondering why you would not want one?

Grossly over priced. My decsion came down to Cooks and Norwood. Especially after I saw a woodmizer. The blade pulled the cantilever powerhead down in the cut. Not impressed.

The cooks, norwood, log master all have four head posts. And don't have that problem.

Back