CAD - Help me with 3 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daleeper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 034 that I bought new 25 years ago (has it really been that long?) and have not spent much on it till the last couple of years. It has been a real good saw for me, but am trying to shake off CAD. We burn 2-4 cord of wood, and help some others as time permits, and I have miles of fence that needs cleared out. There are several large trees that have either died, dropped in the creek, or been struck by lightning that will need harvested in the near future.

I would like a smaller saw for limbing, and fence cleanup work, read small, light, yet powerful. I would also like to have a bigger saw for those big dead oaks that put out a pile of firewood that make my 034 grunt a little too much. Best dealer close is Stihl, and have a husky dealer in town, and I believe there is a dolmar dealer within 20 miles.

New is probably not going to happen, hoping to find something to complement my 034 on each end of the spectrum without going broke.

Any suggestions?

Fairly easy to find used and very capable small saw would be a 026/MS260. Bigger saw would be 440/460. Bam you're done. Go cut wood!

Do you need a bucket saw?

If not on the dolmar side I would say 420 5100or05 and 7900

husky/jonsered the previous suggestions are good. Same with the stihl suggestions.

Where in MO are you located?

Do you need a bucket saw?

If not on the dolmar side I would say 420 5100or05 and 7900

husky/jonsered the previous suggestions are good. Same with the stihl suggestions.

Where in MO are you located?

Don't know that I need a bucket saw. (maybe I don't know what I need?)

Trenton, (north central)

For all practicality and the two saws that will do 99% of al firewood cutting are in my opinion.

Either the Husky 346, or if you prefer Stihl the 260 or 261.

Then the Dolmar 7900.

For the limbing/fence clearing saw it looks like most are favoring a saw size that is not that much lighter than my 034. Will saving 1 lb make much of a difference at the end of the day, and how much power will be lost if any? It looks like quite a few of you are running an 18" bar on your 260/346 saws, and I am only running a 16" on the 034 most of the time.

For the big saw, looks like the 044, 440, 372, and the 7900 are the consistant recommended saw, so will start looking on cl and used. Are those HD Makita deals still around? Wish I lived closer to one.

Thanks for the responses, and keep the suggestions coming, but it looks like really a two saw plan would be best for me, or maybe I need a 3 bar plan for the saw I have.

Baileys still has the Makita for $475 then you could upgrade it later.

Actually, what Bailey's has is the 6421, which has the cat muffler. I would look for a reburb 6401. I found one for $349.99 last week. That is the best deal IMO.

I am new here and dont no if you can sell saws on this site. If so can sombody point me in the right direction. They r a mac 10-10s and a 08 husky 395xp. Thanks James

james post it in the " CLASSIFIEDS"

As for the two saws needed for the three saw plan, if you already like Stihl i'd go with the 026/260 and a MS460. I don't have a MS460 but my pops does and let me tell you that is one heck of a saw. It is the reason i started upgrading my 362xp. And i can tell you first hand that the 026 is a mean little saw. When i go out i take the 026 and my 362xp. Good luck and ultimately i think you'll choose the saws with the best dealer support, so go out and talk to the service department of both dealers not just the sales guy trying to make a buck. -Matt

I have a Stihl 034 that I bought new 25 years ago (has it really been that long?) and have not spent much on it till the last couple of years. It has been a real good saw for me, but am trying to shake off CAD. We burn 2-4 cord of wood, and help some others as time permits, and I have miles of fence that needs cleared out. There are several large trees that have either died, dropped in the creek, or been struck by lightning that will need harvested in the near future.

I would like a smaller saw for limbing, and fence cleanup work, read small, light, yet powerful. I would also like to have a bigger saw for those big dead oaks that put out a pile of firewood that make my 034 grunt a little too much. Best dealer close is Stihl, and have a husky dealer in town, and I believe there is a dolmar dealer within 20 miles.

New is probably not going to happen, hoping to find something to complement my 034 on each end of the spectrum without going broke.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like the small one is a 346xp.

The large one could be any reasonably new 70cc+ saw from Husky or Stihl, or the Dolmar 7900/7300 - depending on availiability and how much saw you really need.

200t, 346xp, 7900 That is the ultimate 3 saw plan

346xp, MS361 and 372xp works well here - with the limited size wood we have, even the 372xp is overkill, really.

There is no such thing as an ultimate plan that fits every area/task! :biggrinbounce2:

My 3 saw plan, Wildthang 18" bar, John Deere ( Efco ) 56cc 20" bar, Makita 64 cc 24" bar skip chain.

First I plan on leaving the wildthang at home cause its a pita to start, I plan on leaving the Makita in the truck unless I just have to have it to rescue the JD, cause it is heavy and kills my elbows.

The JD is my goto use it for everything saw. It is light and has enuff grunt to do most everything I come across without killing my elbows.

But I NEVER EVER NEVER EVER plan on goin to the woods with less than 2 saws!

Back