CAD Preservation issue......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
OK. I am a teacher, not a pro logger. I have several saws, more than i can use at any given time. I don't get to cut wood very often. What is the best procedure for the storage of saws that get used occasionally? I beieve that Stihl mix has a fuel preservative, but I am concerned about alcohol in the fuel rottingout gas lines, and so forth. Any ideas?

Basically, how does a real CADDICT preserve the "Precioussss..?":hmm3grin2orange:

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Since the Aspen Alkylate fuel isn't available here, there are 2 alternatives. Empty your tank and run the carb dry before putting the saw away or run this stuff, which I think is kinda like the Aspen, at least it has a guaranteed 2 year shelf life. I need a bottle of that for my string trimmer that gets run twice a year.

Ian

Edit... the 50fuel is not like the Aspen. Their MSDS sheet calls out normal gasoline as 95-99% of it's makeup.

Last edited:
windthrown

windthrown

361 Junkie
I have stored 2-stroke engines for decades and gassed them up and started them on the 3rd or 4th pull. For long storage, like over 6 months, I would run them with gas stabilizer and then drain them and run them dry of gas. Then coat the muffler and any other parts that are prone to rusting with WD40. Then store them in a dry location, like in an attic.

For shorter periods of time, I would leave a small amount of gas in it and use a good stabilizer in the gas. There are several brands, and they claim to keep gas fresh for over a year. This will keep the carb from varnishing up. In this case you have to keep them in the garage on a shelf, or someplace that is well vented. The advantage of this storage method is that you keep the gaskets and gas lines from drying out. Stihl gas lines are prone to cracking when they dry out (from my experience).

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
basement not a good idea?

Also, my saw shop is in the basement, which will be getting a bit damp once the rainy season hits........I suppose some shelves in the garage are in order. I can leave the car outside and have a saw shrine.......hahahaha:clap:

:bowdown: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts