CAD to a new level!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes....I'm looking for tooling too

Yes....I'm looking for tooling too.... and I'm getting sticker shock!:jawdrop::jawdrop::cry:

Last edited:
Ive been buyin stuff on and off andmy wife been starting to get on me about my 50-75 bucks a week buyin tooling. it does add up quick!

Ive been buyin stuff on and off andmy wife been starting to get on me about my 50-75 bucks a week buyin tooling. it does add up quick!

LOL ya. Where do you buy from, I've been browsing ebay allot the last few days. Lots of good deals on there, I figure I'll try to buy a few things every month.

ebay tools 4cheap enco

I just placed an order from tools for cheap. Getting a wedge type AXA quick change tool post, some cutting tools, left right, facing, parting tool, and some boring tools. More to come hopefully. Need to get soon, a live center and a dril chuck to go into the tailstock.

I got my live center and jacobs chuck off ebay used. watch for dirty or slightly rusted. usually goes for hardly anything. got a usa live center for 5 and my jacobs for the mill for .99. both cleaned up perfect.

Finally got the lathe going. Got the tooling that I ordered with the new quick change tool post, got it setup today. Here it is making a brass piston pin, the start of a piston holder for doing popup's.

attachment.php

It always feels so good to start making something on a new tool!:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

Finally got the lathe going. Got the tooling that I ordered with the new quick change tool post, got it setup today. Here it is making a brass piston pin, the start of a piston holder for doing popup's
Looks like you got the t-nut to fit the lathe also, so your making some progress. Good for you!

EDIT: don't forget about craigslist, I have found the best deals on craigslist. A couple years ago I bought 2 Kennedy toolboxes filled with precision tools from a guy that retired from Caterpillar, it helped me out tremendously as I now have all the dial indicators, calipers, punches, drills, end mills, angle blocks, height gauges, etc...I paid him $500 for all of it, it was an unbelievable score!

Last edited:
It always feels so good to start making something on a new tool!:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

Yes it does, feel's great!!

Looks like you got the t-nut to fit the lathe also, so your making some progress. Good for you!

Yup picked it up today, had a local machine shop mill it for me. $40 not bad.

Here is the first pin all finished up, sorry for the cell phone pic, didn't have the camera out in the shop with me this time.

13mm pin, got it to within .01mm fits great.

Thanks allot to Timberwolf and Fatguy for giving me some ideas on the piston holder. You guys are great!!

attachment.php

your lathe is definitley cleaner than mine. 40 bucks here... 50 bucks there... now you have contracted a new disease. MTAD (machine tool aquision disorder) dont worry, I have it too!:cheers:

Yup picked it up today, had a local machine shop mill it for me. $40 not bad.
Ouch!, too bad your not close to me, I'd of done it for you for free. But it's worth $40 to get going, IMO.
Here is the first pin all finished up, sorry for the cell phone pic, didn't have the camera out in the shop with me this time.
So, is your plan to tap in a another rod to form a T, and then put that in the lathe to turn it? The one I saw Nik do before he used a hunk of alu and fit the piston on it.

Just make sure you ALWAYS wear eye protection!

your lathe is definitley cleaner than mine. 40 bucks here... 50 bucks there... now you have contracted a new disease. MTAD (machine tool aquision disorder) dont worry, I have it too!:cheers:

Well, it is what it is. cheaper then to hire me!! he charged me 1/2 hour labour, was like $36 plus tax. The shop rate at where I work is $92 per hour. But ya free is good too!!!

Ouch!, too bad your not close to me, I'd of done it for you for free. But it's worth $40 to get going, IMO.

So, is your plan to tap in a another rod to form a T, and then put that in the lathe to turn it? The one I saw Nik do before he used a hunk of alu and fit the piston on it.

Just make sure you ALWAYS wear eye protection!

My plan is to machine a round mandrill with a groove in it to fit the piston size, there will be a threaded stud in the center that will thread into the brass piston pin, then you'll just turn the piston the tighten it down. that's the plan anyway, should work, don't see why not!! Eye protection is good!!! I once had a piece of metal stuck into my eye wasn't fun, I even had eye protection on then, it flew under the glasses.

More progress today. Making the piston holder. Can't go any further till I get a drill chuck for the tailstock, so I can drill a hole in the center for the bolt to go through.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back