Caddy vs Husky1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XrynoX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've narrowed it down to the PSG caddy wood/oil and the Yukon Husky1 wood/oil

what should i go with? pro's/con's

thanks

i think any combo furnace is not as efficient as a single fuel furnace. combo has conveniences such as legally venting into 1 flue. Mfrs should have efficiency specs [in terms of actual #s]. Being able to see the fire thru glass is crucial 2me

If you want to call me I'll give you the run down on them.
get some hard facts on paper & dont rely on "testimony". I'd prefer a unit with glass so to monitor the fire & fuel load. YOU can meet EPA standards by using excess combustion air which carries heat up the chimney & most pellet stoves do this, i've read, except for the Europa which is a gassifier pellet stove----though perhaps problematic

well i have a 50 year old(approximate?) oil furnace with an add on wood right now. the wood side works fine, but i kinda just want to replace the whole thing. the oil is only used if we go away, so efficiency of the oil is not as important as reliability.

well i have a 50 year old(approximate?) oil furnace with an add on wood right now. the wood side works fine, but i kinda just want to replace the whole thing. the oil is only used if we go away, so efficiency of the oil is not as important as reliability.
furnace contract from oil co. + homeowner's insurance?

not sure what your asking? no contract. insurance is fine, just dont want things to freeze up if the old furnace dies while I'm away
homeowners covers the cost of a freezeupbut read the fine print. oil furnace insurance covers the oil furnace for replacement ,if needed, in case of failure. between the 2, they cover all the bases i think

homeowners covers the cost of a freezeupbut read the fine print. oil furnace insurance covers the oil furnace for replacement ,if needed, in case of failure. between the 2, they cover all the bases i think

:notrolls2:

Excuse me but what a dumb statement! Why in the world would a homeowner put themselves in intentional jeopardy of a freeze up saying, "Oh, well, if it happens I have homeowners insurance." Also, where in the world would anyone get insurance on a 50 yr. old oil furnace?

Just another example that Pook doesn't read, doesn't listen and offers dumb advice.

Shari

:notrolls2:

Excuse me but what a dumb statement! Why in the world would a homeowner put themselves in intentional jeopardy of a freeze up saying, "Oh, well, if it happens I have homeowners insurance." Also, where in the world would anyone get insurance on a 50 yr. old oil furnace?

Just another example that Pook doesn't read, doesn't listen and offers dumb advice.

Shari
house is insured as is & if furnace is legal its covered. due dilligence on the owner's behalf in terms of maintenance covers the bases. Ask the insurer foremost

Oh, Unwise One, what would you say the pro-rated replacement value is on a 50 yr. old furnace that is rated for 20-30 years of service? :bang:

Shari

Oh, Unwise One, what would you say the pro-rated replacement value is on a 50 yr. old furnace that is rated for 20-30 years of service? :bang:

Shari
if u can buy the contract, they replace the furnace. a cheaper, simple yearly servicing assures the homeowner's pays for freezing pipes in case of failure, duh

The Caddy has a 7 gauge firebox, from what I have read the husky has a 10 gauge firebox. I don't know it there are clean air standard in Canada where you are, but the Caddy meeds the B415 air standards, which is like our EPA. I don't know much about the Oil Burner, but I do agree that 2 seperate units will give a higher efficiency. Both share 1 flue also. We have a Caddy, and its a nice unit. We have ours in parallel with our LP furnace, which in canada is illegal. What the square footage you are looking to heat, and how well is the house insulated/sealed? That will make a big difference on what you are looking for.

7 gauge vs 10 gauge.
I see the Caddy runs faster draft speeds. This means that the firebox walls have to be thicker to withstand the temptation to warp plus more heats will be exiting the flue with the faster darft speeds. You'll require more wood to exchange the same heats that the Husky will.
The Husky near 40 years ago was made with a 14 gauge firebox. Since UL tested it out over 75 times with the steel never getting over 930 degrees we felt as they did that the box was thick enough. It takes steel getting over 1500 degrees to start to warp and split.
Many of these older Husky's lasted 30 years or better. Some are still operating today. In the late 80's we changed the steel thickness by 1& a half times to 10 gauge.

The secondary heat exchanger also had a change from hot rolled to 304 grade stainless.
Since the Husky is built in a modular fashion any part of it can be replaced without having to buy a new furnace.

The gas or oil can light the wood,it needs only 1 flue(class A) and it can operate on gravity as per UL.

To date BC is the only province that is going to be enforcing the B415.....however they are not really doing that either having spoken with the code folks there....at least for another 6 years.
The EPA is coming out with a version of the B415 that should be a standard here by the summer of 2012. All wood burners will have to comply....there will be a grace period for all manufactures to comply.

Getting back to the differences.
The Caddy is no where near as efficient.
On their spec sheet. The oil has an input of 140,000 with an output of 106,000btu's whereas the Husky has the same 140,000 input with 112,000 output or 80.01% as per ULc &UL.
They say it will average 52K out on the wood with a max of 69K.
The Husky will do double that.
The Caddy weighs in at 560 lbs where as the Husky is a whopping 850.That just about 300 lbs difference all made up in steel and dense firebrick.

There warranty limited lifetime....
only covers welds..
and it says...
maintenance, over firing, negligence, accident during transportation, power failures, downdrafts, or venting problems are not
covered by this warranty.
The Husky is listed to operate in power failures.

This warranty does not cover any scratch, corrosion, warping, or discoloration caused by over firing, abrasives or chemical cleaners.
Any defect or damage caused by the use of unauthorized parts or others than original parts void this warranty. An authorized
qualified technician must perform the installation in accordance with the instructions supplied with this product

Last edited:
I'd guess any EPA approved burner would have available HARD data such as particulates,CO content, excess air, excess O2, in the analysis of the smoke?

XrynoX,

Laynes and Keith will give ya all you need to know about their respective furnaces, Keith is a factory rep for Yukon, and Layne is a diehard Caddy guy (don't know if he has any affiliation with em). Disregard anything whatsoever that pook says. He is a babbling fool.

Personally, when funding allows, I'll be driving up to Palisade to get myself a Husky. I hoped to have one for this year, but things happen. I'm sure the Caddy is good as well.

XrynoX,

Laynes and Keith will give ya all you need to know about their respective furnaces, Keith is a factory rep for Yukon, and Layne is a diehard Caddy guy (don't know if he has any affiliation with em). Disregard anything whatsoever that pook says. He is a babbling fool.

Personally, when funding allows, I'll be driving up to Palisade to get myself a Husky. I hoped to have one for this year, but things happen. I'm sure the Caddy is good as well.
i'm a babblefool because I demand facts & figures & CK aint publishing them, for whatever reasons. IF I BELIEVED IN MY PRODUCT, I WOULD WEAR IT LIKE A BADGE & EXPLAIIN HOW THE BADGE SHINES

I'm in no way affiliated with PSG or any manufacturer of that sort. I want more for my money, so I choose a unit that to meet EPA requirements had to show their emission levels. I get much more heat from the wood I burn due to the full burn of the furnace. The firebox in the Caddy is fully lined with firebrick from the bottom to the top. My baffle is a multi layered stainless steel baffle, as well as a full stainless secondary burn manifold with 4 tubes. My firebox gets very hot, which it has to so to promote a clean burn. I have to run my draft higher because of the multi inputs for combustion air. Even though my draft runs higher, in a full burn my flue temps aren't over 400 with a raging fire with secondary combustion. Efficient, you bet! The average output of the furnace is around 60-70,000 btus. It will go much higher but we don't see that often. We are very happy, and others who have upgraded were also. There are others on here that are happy with theirs. They really are nice units

Have you looked at a charmaster furnace? I have one that was installed in 1978 and it is still going strong. They still make them in grand rapids mn. They do have a website. Mine is the wood/fuel oil combo and it works great. The fuel oil part uses the same firebox as the wood, so only one flue is used.

Latest posts

Back