Calling all 372 owners...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone who has run the following, please comment. For those of us who haven't (myself included) please don't garble up this thread with your opinions!

How does the old 372 (71cc) compare to the new 372 (75cc)? Cut times, and/or videos would be helpful here.

How does the bailey's gen 2 BB kit compare to a stock 71cc, 75cc, or both? Again, cut times or videos would be helpful.

In both cases, seat of the pants comparison is OK - just looking for good honest feedback from folks who have ran/still run both or all 3 versions. Pros and Cons.

Thanks, Josh

When did they change to 75cc? I bought a new one about 8 months ago but I never looked at the cc's. I also have a 372 I bought about 7 years ago thats still running strong but I really never noticed a difference between the two. Hands down my favorite saw's I own and yes I also own a 361....:)

Ok I started my business with my first 372 xp it cut fine with a 20
and I put a 28" on it and it did ok. I them got a bb kit from bailey's and opened the muffler and re-tuned the carb and I can tell the differance for sure! I also bought a 372 xpw off fleabay that was supposed to be perfect.It was not but it was not too bad needed fuel lines and a carbkit it is a good saw but is a little light when compared to the modded bro. The only thing that has went bad on my first saw was the coil in many many hours. I still have the original cylinder and piston and it is in great shape. I feel I am good for ten years with my setups!:cheers:

Last edited:
i guess mabey im saying this to the wrong crowd but, does 4 ccs really make that much difference? i mean i guess to me im not interested in beating bill down the road, im just interested in getting wood on the ground so it wouldent matter. but it seems that if it cut 1 second faster/slower i wouldent notice it.

i guess mabey im saying this to the wrong crowd but, does 4 ccs really make that much difference? i mean i guess to me im not interested in beating bill down the road, im just interested in getting wood on the ground so it wouldent matter. but it seems that if it cut 1 second faster/slower i wouldent notice it.

It helps in grunt imo.

4cc is ~6% if that was 6% faster cutting that would add up at the end of the day.

Now set a BB saw up ported with good chain and at can easy cut twice as fast as a bone stock saw, let me tell ya that makes a big difference in what a guy can get done in a day.

I've ran Husky 268XP's, 272's, and 372's. We've actually ran them side by side on several occassions, in the same wood. They are all powerful and fast cutting saws. The added cc's aren't noticed nearly as much if you are cutting smaller logs, or limbs. Bar length, and how sharp the chains are plays a role here as well.

For example, a 268XP with an 18" bar cutting 16" material will cut about as fast as a 372XP with a 24" bar in the same log. It will also cut about the same as a 272XP with a 20" bar.

However, put 24" bars on all three saws, and bury them in a 2' oak log, and the 372XP will get thru a few seconds quicker than the 268/272XP, all else being equal (good sharp chain, compression up to par, well tuned, clean air filter, etc, etc).

I am of course talking about stock saws. Porting, muffler mods, etc quickly separate one from the other, when the work is done correctly.....Cliff

Anyone who has run the following, please comment. For those of us who haven't (myself included) please don't garble up this thread with your opinions!

How does the old 372 (71cc) compare to the new 372 (75cc)? Cut times, and/or videos would be helpful here.

How does the bailey's gen 2 BB kit compare to a stock 71cc, 75cc, or both? Again, cut times or videos would be helpful.

In both cases, seat of the pants comparison is OK - just looking for good honest feedback from folks who have ran/still run both or all 3 versions. Pros and Cons.

Thanks, Josh
I have a video of a woods ported 372 (75cc) vs. 2 stock MS660's, would that be helpful?

I've never run a bone stock 660, but the best woods modded 372 I've had would cut with my dual port 066 in wood under 28 inches or so...if not beat it...doubt if that would hold true if both had 28 inch bars on them..

I've been told that the stock porting on the 75 cc 372 is different, as it is made for cut off saws......so its no faster than the 70.7 cc model...

Woods ported by a good builder, and it will be faster.

I've never run a bone stock 660, but the best woods modded 372 I've had would cut with my dual port 066 in wood under 28 inches or so...if not beat it...doubt if that would hold true if both had 28 inch bars on them..

I've been told that the stock porting on the 75 cc 372 is different, as it is made for cut off saws......so its no faster than the 70.7 cc model...

Woods ported by a good builder, and it will be faster.

Actually no, the 75cc chainsaw engine has the same or near to the same port timing as the 70.7cc 372...I've been through a few brand new ones. They do however, have the rev-limiting ignition.

Actually no, the 75cc chainsaw engine has the same or near to the same port timing as the 70.7cc 372...I've been through a few brand new ones. They do however, have the rev-limiting ignition.

I now have 4 Husky non-rev coils. I gave up on the aftermarket junk. Funny how you learn. Gave up on the BBs, USA handlebars, coils and whatnot. OEM or nothing. The quality is now obvious.

I now have 4 Husky non-rev coils. I gave up on the aftermarket junk. Funny how you learn. Gave up on the BBs, USA handlebars, coils and whatnot. OEM or nothing. The quality is now obvious.

Yeah, it's a struggle anymore keeping the aftermarket stuff going in a professional setting. Occasional cutting is one thing, but when a saw is run hard every day, that aftermarket stuff isn't making it.

Yeah, it's a struggle anymore keeping the aftermarket stuff going in a professional setting. Occasional cutting is one thing, but when a saw is run hard every day, that aftermarket stuff isn't making it.

Yep, I would love to support Bailey's, but they sell junk (after market). Now, since they dumped or got dumped by Husqvarna I am done, any Husky OEM parts are special order. Madsen's has 90% Husky parts on their shelves and it at my door in 3 days.

Well, there ya go....

Thanks, Jacob....I defer to your experience.

I'll give ya a call, Jasha, when I get some time......I'm itching to get my hands on some of your work!!

I just got my little camera back from Canon Repair.....tried to video Dave dropping a little fir top today at Andy's neighbor's....it didn't work I forgot to flip open the LCD...Then I gave it to Andy to film me dropping the butt. He didn't get anything...I reckon he and Canon are like an eagle with iceskates.....:monkey:

The tree was open grown for the last 55 years, so, while wolfy at about 38 on the butt, it wasn't as tall as many of the pecker poles around Tuck Lake, some of which are reaching 180...

Dave dropped a nice top, though, from 79 feet up...it was a shortie...at 86 feet.....

Thanks, Josh

If you want the the fastest saw, get the 75cc variant. With that said a nice ported 71cc 372 is no slouch by any means. My ported 71cc 372 will easily out cut a bone stock 660 in 28" Beech.

Last edited:
I think it will even outcut

If you want the the fastest saw, get the 75cc variant. With that said a nice ported 71cc 372 is no slouch by any means. My ported 71cc 372 will easily out cut a bone stock 660 in 28" Beech.

A woods ported 7900 too? Or awfully darned close if not.

Latest posts

Back