can anyone help me with some solid advise "new to the site but have been hooked to it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1lows10

Reaction score
Well hello everyone,,

I just had to register to get some more advice or? get some actuall input from my Q's

Any how im not a logger or anything by any means i have 2 fireplaces in my house of 2 1/2yrs now and only use one and i do go out and get permits and get wood when i can,this past few outtings i have gotten roughly 6-7 cords,,,

This is my question though,,i really wanted to go out and get a new stihl ms-362 when i got my tax money back well all that blew before i knew it,,

I have run a allmost out of the box 290 farm boss my last outting ,it was nice but i was easlily able to bog her down alittle, and as most of us the more hp the better,,so thats when i thought about getting a 362,

( and from what i have heard about the farm boss mostly is "it's" 80%vrs20% boat anchor from what i have seen,and i would rather go with a pro model even tho i may only cut X amount a yr and figured if i dropped 700$ on a 362 for a saw that will last the years,it will pay itself off..period

Well here is the QUESTION i have a chance to possibly pick up two different 361's i have not gotten all the information on them yet either the year how hard they have been ran or anything,,one i can get is for 250$ and the other with some good pics and a 28" bar for 400$ all around 20 miles from me,,

Would anyone suggest either purchasing one of these and taking in it to have a certified stihl go through it and possibly still be under the 700$ mark on a new 362 or as my neighbor is pushing me on one of the aka boat anchors 290farm boss for 400?

Your going to get advice both ways on this one . New is nice but I usually don't because I can get more saw for my money buying used . $400 is on the high side for a 361 unless it is real clean . I would at least go look at the two 361s and check them out . Are you able to evaluate a used saw yourself ? If they run and everything works ( oiler , chain brake ) see if they will bargain some . The Stihl O29/290 series saws have made a lot of firewood for people over the years . You will get more work done with a good running 290 with a few sharp chains than a poor running pro saw . On the other hand a good running pro saw will put a smile on your face and you more than likely won't use your homeowner type saw much .

saws

Possible you can rent/ borrow..buy a compression tester?around/over 130 on up is a good sign.Usually over 110 is OK..higher is better..:msp_wink:Might help in making a selection.Good luck!

cheers

Possible you can rent/ borrow..buy a compression tester?around/over 130 on up is a good sign.Usually over 110 is OK..higher is better..:msp_wink:Might help in making a selection.Good luck!

cheers

Happy St.Pattys day everyone..
I do have a comp tester and i dont think i would touch anything less then 160ish,, im still pretty sick "got a nasty bug in me" when i wrote the post i was on all sorts of meds and tired as all hell..

The guy with the one 361 for 250 hasnt gotten back to me i call and call and nothing,the guy with one for 400 bones looks good and is about 35 mins from me,there has been a new one that has arised out in my area a ms361 that the fellow says there is only 4hrs if of use on it and it looks from the pics just as clean at a dealer with a rollo es 20"er for 595$

Latest posts

Back