Can barely pull starter rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a backpack blower that fell over in in my truck and flooded. when i went to pull it i spun the flywheel key sounds similar, it was an easy fix. it might just be catching on the broke key causing the jerking

Last edited:
This could be several problems, bearings could be worn/wore-out, cylinder could be burned or scored and have aluminum transfer from a piston, Unfortunately until the saw is taken apart the problem likely won't be indentifiable. Check clutch side of the saw first before going to a dealer, look for brake band partially engaged or brake parts broken or worn also check clutch for damage etc... and move brake lever in and out of lock position it could be as simple as it never disengaged properly due to build-up of debris, this is the least expensive initial check. Good luck and let us know outcome.

Doc

Thanks Doc you solved my MS 290 problem"build up of debris kept brake from disengaging properly" explains what happen to me and burned out clutch and brake band.

Thanks Doc you solved my MS 290 problem"build up of debris kept brake from disengaging properly" explains what happen to me and burned out clutch and brake band.

Dont think dealer will warranty this ( saw's only 6 weeks old) but it makes sense with the particulars of the events prior to saw dying. I cut about 4 logs that nite, filled it with gas and oil never thought to take cover off and clean it. Live and LEARN!

Fish is on His Game

Still good baby.............
So is my analysis. That is all that a saw that does not run is worth, about $50. You can find a bunch on e-bay today and in local garage sales all over the USA for even less. That's the way it is.

Take a saw that does not run into a small engine saw shop today. Eventually, you will pay the bill for parts, labor, and sales tax after they finally get the engine to run. It could take weeks. Have you ever seen sticker shock?

Had a similar situation with a customer's MS 290 it appeared that it had like a lot of compression and it jerk back a lot didn't even start I didn't take the muffler off to check for scoring cuz I figured it was something else on that note found the culprit it had a Bosch spark plug and it should take a original NGK BPM 7A which caused vibration thus the flywheel nut backed off just enough it has an integrated flywheel key that appeared fine after I took the flywheel off found out that the fly will not was loose from the get-go which all this was a domino effect tightened it up to 35 foot pounds and she runs perfect had nothing to do with a clutch break on this one

Dont think dealer will warranty this ( saw's only 6 weeks old) but it makes sense with the particulars of the events prior to saw dying. I cut about 4 logs that nite, filled it with gas and oil never thought to take cover off and clean it. Live and LEARN!
Page 12 of the manual, states, " Remove clutch cover, bar, and chain. Brush out debris, inspect drum bearing." after each use.

Had a similar situation with a customer's MS 290 it appeared that it had like a lot of compression and it jerk back a lot didn't even start I didn't take the muffler off to check for scoring cuz I figured it was something else on that note found the culprit it had a Bosch spark plug and it should take a original NGK BPM 7A which caused vibration thus the flywheel nut backed off just enough it has an integrated flywheel key that appeared fine after I took the flywheel off found out that the fly will not was loose from the get-go which all this was a domino effect tightened it up to 35 foot pounds and she runs perfect had nothing to do with a clutch break on this one
Screen shot from MS290 IPL:

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 8.08.23 PM.png

Wrong plug from get go..can cause an engine to go south..scorring,loose nuts,thrown rods,busted needle bearing,trash block..
Wrong plug may be wrong heat range or wrong reach etc., and can lead to problems for sure, but it has to be misfiring to produce vibrations. If FW is mounted correctly and nut properly torqued, no amount of vibration will shake the nut loose.

Latest posts

Back