Can you identify these rounds of free firewood I picked up? (Round 3)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I split all day by hand w/ my Fiskars X27 (tired as heck).

But I'll get into this stuff tomorrow and post up.

What you got is maple and lots of it. Split it up it will burn in the stove:msp_biggrin:

This is white oak the flakey bark is a tell tell sign of white oak.

What you got is maple and lots of it. Split it up it will burn in the stove:msp_biggrin:

This is white oak the flakey bark is a tell tell sign of white oak.

Thanks for the pic monkey! I've never actually cut white oak, only red. I was guessing!;)
What kind of maple do you think?
Bark seems kinda smoothish to be hard maple.

first ones look like hickory, those last ones look like red oak. What's the weight like? Is it all heavy? How does it split?

Not any kind of Oak. If you were in the mid west, I'd say Honey Locus. Looks just like it.
It's probably Maple though.

Silver maple. It grows like a weed here. I've burnt cord upon cord of it. Not great wood heat wise but it burns well.

And it goes bad quick. Don't try to keep it more than a year.

Here was round 2:
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/222155.htm

This time, I might of bit off more than I can chew with the diamemter of some of these logs and my 16in bar, but we'll see. Going to be a lot of work (for me, hand splitting with ax).

So what do you think I got?

View attachment 274322View attachment 274323View attachment 274324View attachment 274325View attachment 274326

Nice score...All you have to do is ask if you need some help, im literaly right down the street from you. (Just not tomorrow, im helping a friend move lol)

Y'all need to burn some heating oil going to put our family buisness down in rowayton out of buisness. Hahaha j/k nice score.

Its maple will make a lot red coals fast, burns good, get you some foil and cook on it meat and potatoes
sounds great.

Sorry Spider. Already on Nat Gas, but trying to eliminate my heating bill entirely. I don't have a stove insert yet, but trying real hard to get 2 years ahead now so I can buy this summer.

Chip... if there is stuff left to cut, and you're just bored and you'd like to exercise your saw(s), sure, let me know. Would welcome the help!

And if it is indeed silver maple... oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. I saw this in CL and jumped on it since i had the long weekend and no wood to cut. Trying very hard to finish collecting 2 years worth (I think my <2k sq foot house will take <4 cords a year) asap.

No way silver maple- if it were, you could identify it by the low density, even green. (Gotta use all available properties to id wood, you know.) That bark is a dead give-away.

Check out SUGAR MAPLE in the .pdf publication I gave you, you know "Important Forest Trees Of The Eastern United States." Another clue: it's known to Yankees also as "rock maple"- any guesses as to why.

If you've ever laid hands on silver maple, you'd never confuse it with sugar maple. :msp_rolleyes:

Back