Canadian Homelite XL-76

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I was driving and minding my own business when I pass this house having a content/estate sale. The thing that catches my eye is what appears to be a pretty good condition (meaning most of its paint is still on) older style chainsaw. Well wouldn't you know I find myself pulling over to take a peek and I see that I'm looking at an all-metal construction Homelite. Up to now I've only ever seen the plastic, made in China junk.

I have no idea about these old timers but thought the manual oiler button looked pretty cool and since they really weren't negotiating my offer I took it home. So long story short, does anybody have any experience with these? Were they a good saw and worth fixing up or am I better off parting it out? I can't seem to find much information on this saw, here or anywhere else. Thanks for any suggestions.

Canada only?

:cheers:Maybe it's one that was made in Canada for Canada. I've never seen a XL-76.
PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Igpoe:cheers:

:cheers:Maybe it's one that was made in Canada for Canada. I've never seen a XL-76.
PICS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Igpoe:cheers:

I believe there were certain models only made for canada, but I don't know if this was one of them.

You are a couple weeks late or you would have cought this:
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/184699.htm

I don't believe the XL-76 is much different from the rest of the XL-100(ish) family.

The manual oilers are the lightest of the bunch. The auto-oilers have little or no advantage over your garden variety Super XL.

If you need parts, I've got lots of leftovers.:msp_rolleyes:

I love 'em.

View attachment 208996
attachment.php

The xl-76 has a automatic oilier as well as the manual one. I have one that I chipped and ran real well but broke the stud holding the coil on due to over tightening. It is a powerful saw but prone to over heating in warmer weather. Mine languishes in a bucket until I find the proper cylinder and a flywheel with all its fins.
jimsaw005.jpg

I'm not sure if the XL-76 is one of the "Canada only" Homeys either......I've gone through the fuel system and got a couple of those running for other people, so there are a few of them around, but being in Canada as well, that proves nothing.

I have a couple XL-910's which I believe are one of the Canada only saws.

Make that one run!! They aren't worth much in the market place, but they sure sound great!!:cheers:

The xl-76 has a automatic oilier as well as the manual one. I have one that I chipped and ran real well but broke the stud holding the coil on due to over tightening. It is a powerful saw but prone to over heating in warmer weather. Mine languishes in a bucket until I find the proper cylinder and a flywheel with all its fins.

Cylinders for both the 1.750" and 1.812" bores are on evilbay all the time used and NOS. Pistons not that often, neither are flywheels unless you buy a parts carcass.

Check with Chainsawlady, I know she has cylinders/pistons.

I tossed a flywheel a while back because it had three broken 0ff fins.

Performance is the same as an XL-12 or SXL so they didn't last that long in production.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice looking saw :rock:. Fairly positive the 76 as well as the 130 were Canada market only. Many variations of the XL-1xx design. You can see how the XL-1xx influenced the lines of the EZ/Super EZ. As far as I'm concerned, they're more refined than the XL-12/Super XL, but less rugged. Biggest dislikes are the bar pattern (same as the EZ/Super EZ and 150) and the oil fill location which makes you stand the saw on the bar nose to fill it. Having a one-off air filter is a little discouraging also, especially if you can't find a spare. Do like the balance better than the XL-12 series and definitely prefer its lines. All in all, very nice saws and worth holding onto.

Dan

Love the post.. The XL-76 was a Canadian only saw... but here is a question for everyone.. I picted up one needing a piston & rings.. Found a brand new OEM Homelite 46mm piston & ring kit in the box at a local saw shop, made to fit the Homelite Super XL.. For 15 bucks I bought it.. according to the specs for both saws.. 46mm bore... same stroke, and same CC’s. Has anyone here had both saws apart or experience replacing the piston and rings in either of these saws. I have restored a few Homelite saws, but not an XL-76. They are more rair... no engine parts ever come up for them. This saw still runs well.. But the piston is looking rough, either from running a bit hot, or past carbon build up... The rings are still free and the bore looks good through the exhaust port. So.. For a 15 dollar piston & rings I may take her down and get her back as good as new. Or does anyone here know the model number of the equilavent US made Saw of the same type...

Love the post.. The XL-76 was a Canadian only saw... but here is a question for everyone.. I picted up one needing a piston & rings.. Found a brand new OEM Homelite 46mm piston & ring kit in the box at a local saw shop, made to fit the Homelite Super XL.. For 15 bucks I bought it.. according to the specs for both saws.. 46mm bore... same stroke, and same CC’s. Has anyone here had both saws apart or experience replacing the piston and rings in either of these saws. I have restored a few Homelite saws, but not an XL-76. They are more rair... no engine parts ever come up for them. This saw still runs well.. But the piston is looking rough, either from running a bit hot, or past carbon build up... The rings are still free and the bore looks good through the exhaust port. So.. For a 15 dollar piston & rings I may take her down and get her back as good as new. Or does anyone here know the model number of the equilavent US made Saw of the same type...

Piston will interchange. Cylinder will not. 1 13/16” bore.

Piston also fits PL/SL-4 Remington. [emoji106]

Thanks Tree Freak... . The two saws look quite different. And I think are a few years apart in probuction times. In the 80’s I worked as a logger a couple of years.. Among the pro saws in camp we had a few XL-76 saws for back up and limbing. So I had run them a bit back in the day.. But other than pictures have never seen a Super XL.. The one thing no one liked about this XL-76 saws was the oil filler in the end of the saw... lol.. you had to prop the saw against a log or have a buddy hold the thing to fill the oil.. But they cut very well with good power for what they were... Again.. thanks for the reply...

I just took a look online as well. You can look up the model profiles on chainsaw collector corners site.. They are very close. Same 46mm bore. With a .1 mm different stroke. And the saws look exact. I haven’t cut with the one I picked up yet.. just cleaned and sharpened it. And tuned it slightly. It has a full 130 pounds of compression.. So... if it cuts with good power I may not tere it down. And keep my 15 dollars piston and rings for spares. These old Homelites are addicting. Lol. I have an Xl-1 Automatic and a XL Super Mini as well. They are 30cc saws but cut like saws that are much more powerful. High compression engines.

Back