Can't a guy buy a decent chain locally anymore?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my area I run 3-4 cord per chain. If it starts getting dull I set it aside to sell for $7. I sell the chain in batches of 10 loops or so. I try to sell these chains to someone who owns one of those $2,000+ Silvey grinders.

Great business deal from me and a great deal for them.

I don't tolerate a grabby or "off center" chain. The chain needs to be sharpened perfectly and the only tool that can do it to my satisfaction is a Silvey Grinder. With my system I can't justify the $2,000. If I was rich I would get one, but I'm not.

Perfect is unattainable, but to get as close as possible, a sharp file and a "File-N-Joint" sure gets it done. Anywhere I go with a saw. I like to invest the money in doing better things. With study and care, you can get very close with a $100 grinder, on de-rocking round-ground chain.

Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

I enjoyed reading the discussion of some folks who run their chains until they are dull, and then change them out with a new one.

In my experience, if I know I am going to swap chains out, I run the chain on the saw much longer than I would if I was stopping to sharpen. And I end up wearing myself out hogging a dull chain through cuts.

I will stop and sharpen a chain at the first sign of dullness because it keeps me from bearing down on the saw.

Back to my original topic....

The shop in question makes all of its "yellow" chains in house. So they have a rack of 20 or so different chains that are spinning all the time.

Seems to me, they could cut 71 links or any other common odd-link chain link off of the real. Then cut my 72 link loop with the right starting point. After I am long gone, they can spin up the other chain and put it on the shelf. Everyone happy!

I am over my worry about the missing cutter. As soon as Mr. Jonsered got ahold of that chain, it became a non-issue.

Along the lines of what I posted earlier. Generally the preset tie strap the plain tie strap, the right, the left cutter, the drive link all have part numbers. They accidentally or on purpose chose to use a plain tie strap where a cutter should have been used.

Thanks for the correction.
Still, it's spinning at 10,000 rpm, I just have never been able to tell the difference even with my smaller top handle saws with 12" bars.
I don't want to be the technical nazi here, but the chain isn't spinning @ 10,000 rpm, the drive sprocket is. The chain is going around at the 10,000/(72/#teeth on the drive sprocket)

'Bites' = cutters = chips. A typical, 70 DL, full comp chain would have 35 cutters, each taking about 20 bites per second = 700 (note I corrected it in my post above). The math is in the thread referenced above if any of you wants to check my work for full credit, or correct any other errors.

Other folks might want to paint one link white and count them as they go by.

As Franny K notes, the chain might only have 33 cutters (or fewer!) if pieced together, which could measurably slow your cutting down in a controlled test situation.

Philbert

I just bought a 123dl loop of .404" and it come out with an extra skip link. For the price I couldn't complain if it had 2 cutters in a row or anything like that.

Latest posts

Back