Cant decide between a ms362 or 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Was wanting to get another saw and get rid of one of the older saws we use. Have a 026 pro but getting a few hours on it. Was wanting to get a somthing with a little more power. Saw will mainly be used for a ground saw and to cut up firewood.

Yeah, prolly not a lot you couldn't do with the 026 441 combo. I've got a 260, 361 and 044. Used to have a 441 too but parted with it in a trade.

The 361 is a rocking saw. It will handle most heavy ground work and is nicer to use in the tree than the 441 when you get into big wood on large removals. If I had to make a choice between the two I would go with the 441 just because it will handle bigger wood and there will be times when you will need it if your doing commercial tree care.

Edit: Oops, just noticed you were talking about the 362. Well, same deal... You get my drift.

Last edited:
Not huge. I mean you can tell a differnce in power and weight when you get into big wood but not a huge difference. The main thing with the 441 is you will be able to use a longer bar which comes in handy when you get into some really large logs or need to stump something big, Also, there will be times you need the larger bar when felling if you do big trees. I run a 20" bar on my 361 and a 25" bar on the 044.

We also have a ms660 and an 880. I've been using the 660 lately to cut up firewood. Was thinking about getting somthing a little smaller to use for a ground saw and somthing that would still have enough power to cut some of the bigger logs into firewood. I think the 441 would be a good all around saw to cut big and smaller wood.

I had to look at Stihl's website. I thought they stopped making the 441, I was wrong, it's the 410 they stopped I think. I have a 460 Mag, and love it. I love Stihl, strongly believe in them.

i personaly have a 361 and a 441 along with others but i use a 260 pro, a 361,660, 880 at work and if i were to go out today and buy a new saw for limbing and felling and bucking i would probably go for a 361, its light and its got alot of power for its size i would prefer running a 361 with a 20 inch bar over my 441 with a 25 if i were doing alot of limbing. as for the 260 i would buy that right after the 361 but the 361 is going to be a more productive saw... dont get me wrong i love my 441 i have done some mods for it but i would not put a bar smaller than a 25 on it so it depends on what your cutting

Last edited:
We also have a ms660 and an 880. I've been using the 660 lately to cut up firewood. Was thinking about getting somthing a little smaller to use for a ground saw and somthing that would still have enough power to cut some of the bigger logs into firewood. I think the 441 would be a good all around saw to cut big and smaller wood.

Well, I have to say that if I new you had a 660 and an 880 I would have recommended the 361. :D

You will be able to handle any of the big stuff with your bigger saws. Give your back a break and get a 361. They rock! I can't comment on the 362 because I haven't researched or used one yet but if it's anything like the 361 it's a good one. To tell the truth, I liked the 044's and 440's over the 441. I'm old school and just used to the feel and umph of the older saws. The 441, though adequate, just didn't have that feel of the older saws. Might just be me though. Change comes slow for me.

Here's a vid of a friend of mine and another member here. He came down from Kansas a couple of years ago to help me with some storm damage here. He was traveling back and forth and brought me a 361 on one of his return trips as it was impossible to buy any saw here period after the storm hit. He bought mine and his at the same time. Here he is using his just after he bought them. Notice the chips it throws! :chainsawguy:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/dino195/?action=view&current=Moviestorm3.flv

If you have a 66 and an 88, then I would get a 361. They have less power than the 441 but the weight difference is huge. I run 25" bars on my 361 and 460 and use the 361 for everything short of bucking up hardwood logs. If you need a bigger bar, switch to the 66.

Back