Can't find original thread - outdoor log burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenToys

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Sorry I couldn't find the original thread on this [don't know what they are called]; but I was looking to make some of those logs that have the ends plunge cut and some on sides to put out in the yard for outdoor parties and maybe to sell some of my either too small or just-too-long log rounds. I figure it would be a good seller around here plus put to use some of my odd pieces.
Basically it is what do you put in the log itself as filler/igniting material and what moisture should the logs themselves be at to burn semi-well.

Stop and Shop sells some here in CT for $10 a piece. They are 10 dia white birch about 10"~12" tall rip cut in a X pattern about half way deep 5" or 6" with a piece of rope stuffed in the center of X. The rope might have been soaked in paraffin wax.

Also there's another version, like a rocket stove cut into a log.
Tried it once on a 15" diameter log, worked great, burned for 2 days.
Like here.

SA

The deader the wood the better, the drier the wood the better, the softer the wood the better. I use standing dead and cut down dead trees that have been down for 3 years for mine. They work good, I don't use rope or wax but I do put some eco diesel fuel in them to soak for a few minutes before lighting. Also keeping them out of the wind helps them last longer and burn straighter. I have some pictures on " My firewood tools" thread. I don't sell them, I give them to friends.

Latest posts

Back