cant hook??????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents worth, if you can find an old cant hook at an auction or a garage sale buy it. Don't go out and spend $110 on an orange, steel handled, foam rubber padding on the end with a stamped hook. The high dollar orange and white cant, just won't grab like the old school wood handle with a blue hook. I lost my old cant hook after 20 some years so I went out and bought that shiny orange one and was totally dissapointed. A month later I was at an auction and there was ole blue, 48" hickory handle, and sold for $14 dollars. I might have an almost new, hardly used, Stihl cant hook for sale. I should have known when it had foam rubber on the end.

My 2 cents worth, if you can find an old cant hook at an auction or a garage sale buy it. Don't go out and spend $110 on an orange, steel handled, foam rubber padding on the end with a stamped hook. The high dollar orange and white cant, just won't grab like the old school wood handle with a blue hook. I lost my old cant hook after 20 some years so I went out and bought that shiny orange one and was totally dissapointed. A month later I was at an auction and there was ole blue, 48" hickory handle, and sold for $14 dollars. I might have an almost new, hardly used, Stihl cant hook for sale. I should have known when it had foam rubber on the end.

After cutting some 25" Elm this week I realized I needed a cant hook . I was wondering if it would be worth stopping by a couple flee markets tomorrow to see if I could find one more reasonably priced than a new one.

After cutting some 25" Elm this week I realized I needed a cant hook . I was wondering if it would be worth stopping by a couple flee markets tomorrow to see if I could find one more reasonably priced than a new one.

Or barn or yard sale if you're in the right neighborhood.

I know most of you know the difference, but it does get confusing. Peavey is the name of a company that makes timber equipment. Like Kleenex and Xerox, over time the brand name has improperly become the tool name.
FWIW, my Cant Hook is a Peavey brand.

While Peavey is a tool brand, Peavey in this case does not refer to the company but to the inventor, Joseph Peavey. Peavey was a blacksmith in Stillwater Maine who invented the tool named after him. The Peavey has a dog hook and a spike on the bottom. It can be used for rolling logs or as a lever for moving things.
The cant hook is different. It does not have the spike on the end, but has a metal cap with a small hook or point that is opposite the duckbill on the dog hook. Cant hooks were used at sawmills for moving cants. A cant is the flat sided piece of timber you get when you run a log through the mill.

If it has a hard wood handle and good metal it should do good. I like the 2 size hook on it.

I often just take the hook and ring

with me and use the ax to trim a limb or sapling for a handle as needed. :msp_cool:

I've been thinking about getting a wood handled Timber Tuff Timberjack at Fleet Farm. What do you guys think of these?
http://www.fleetfarm.com/products/images/medium/0000000020079.jpg

now why the heck doesnt my Fleet Farm carry one like that. heck they stopped carrying any of the cool tools now that im older and actually know what they are used for. cant buy a good hatchet anymore. i cant even get a hookaroon anymore:angrysoapbox:

any who... that one should work well. just a new design on the old style. i ended up buying this one myself. dont use it often but on big logs its a life saver

Timber Tuff Steel Handled Timber Jack - Mills Fleet Farm

0000000038040.jpg

Back