cant hook??????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hi,new member here! i been cutting firewood for years now,small to 36" in diameter..quetion is a cant hook worth having,i mean is it a usefull enough tool to carry with you in the woods,i never used one.thank you

The short answer is ... yes. Anything you can do to get the wood off the ground and keep you chain clean is good. Dulling a chain in the dirt will put a quick end to your wood cutting.

I think it is, we have two of them, saves burying your chain in the dirt trying to get through rounds. Rolls them with ease.

I believe we purchased one from baileys, the other one was my grandpas. The one from baileys has the bar on the reverse side, allows you to pick logs up in the air to cut, sometimes that's nice, other times it's in the way.

Question: Do I need a cant hook?

Answer: When cutting firewood, never leave home without it.:msp_biggrin:

Yes, it is. Not sure about you, but I don't seem to lift/roll the same as I used to. With the cant hook, the big stuff is no match for me:

Moving%2520logs.JPG

When it comes to chainsaw bars and chain, as in life; Protect your tip!

thankyou all,i will have to order one and give it a try. does any one thing the logrite blue handle with 78" handle is better

I think for general firewood work, the 78" hook would be a bit cumbersome. I would prefer something in the 48-60" range.

Will

Love to have the cant hook/peavey in the woods. As for the Log Rite, it is nice. Have had my hands on one and it didn't seem weak at all. I like leverage, the longer the handle the better....to a point. If the price is good then go ahead.

Shea

Yes, cant hook is definitely THE hand tool for rolling logs. Around 60" would seem best for me. Peavey is almost as good, but lacks the "grabby" tip- has pointed steel tip- main benefit of that is that sticking it in the ground will stand it up for easy retrieval.

IME, if LogRite makes a tool of the sort you're looking for, it should be near the top of your short list.

Timberjack (log lifter) would seem to be a good, though expensive, idea. Not likely, IMHO. Lotsa luck lifting a BIG log, and not crushing it.

If I were starting 'wooding' today, the tools I would be acquiring are (in the following order)

Chainsaw
Wedges and sledge
Maul
HOOKEROON
Peavey/canthook
Chains/cables/towstraps/snatchblocks.

I waited way too long to buy a hookeroon and kicked my rear for delaying the fist time I used it. I now feel naked without it no matter what task I am doing while 'wooding'

I used to have a Peavey but broke the handle and neveer replaced it. I found I really didn't get that much use out of it. If course there have been days I wished I had it.

Harry K

If I were starting 'wooding' today, the tools I would be acquiring are (in the following order)

Chainsaw
Wedges and sledge
Maul
HOOKEROON
Peavey/canthook
Chains/cables/towstraps/snatchblocks.

I waited way too long to buy a hookeroon and kicked my rear for delaying the fist time I used it. I now feel naked without it no matter what task I am doing while 'wooding'

I used to have a Peavey but broke the handle and neveer replaced it. I found I really didn't get that much use out of it. If course there have been days I wished I had it.

Harry K

Good list, id add a Fiskars in there though, just above maul.

Latest posts

Back