cant hook??????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my cant hook and use it a lot, but I think the Cant Hook and Peavy Manufacturer's Association would pay you guys not to post the last 2 videos. If those were the only examples to view before purchase then I think it would hurt sales! LOL :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh? How would you have done it differently or better? C'mon meat...let us know. Give us the benefit of your experience and wisdom.
We're always looking for easier ways to do things.

Last edited:
i only 42,2 weeks ago i was cutting 28" trunk, on down side of hill,15 pcs cut 24"long had to roll them back up the hill,then roll each section,threw the woods 300- long tiring -YARDS to my truck parked on the road........cant hook would have been great help,all i had was wedges and back muscles which got weak really fast,o and it started raining half way thru!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:

i only 42,2 weeks ago i was cutting 28" trunk, on down side of hill,15 pcs cut 24"long had to roll them back up the hill,then roll each section,threw the woods 300- long tiring -YARDS to my truck parked on the road........cant hook would have been great help,all i had was wedges and back muscles which got weak really fast,o and it started raining half way thru!!!!!!!!!!!:bang:
Oh man, You need a winch.lol I used to cut logs on hillsides and pull the whole log up to the truck and then cut it up. Some logs will require a snatch block though.

Oh man, You need a winch.lol I used to cut logs on hillsides and pull the whole log up to the truck and then cut it up. Some logs will require a snatch block though.

couldnt use winch where i was at,at the truck there was 8foot hill straight up and down,truck couldnt get up it:confused2:..if i wasnt running low on firewood,i wouldnt of did it,well...lol...yes i would. talking about getting old,i had to for first time in my life,make myself sit down till heart stopped beating out of my chest.

Oh? How would you have done it differently or better? C'mon meat...let us know. Give us the benefit of your experience and wisdom.
We're always looking for easier ways to do things.
Hey, you can relax any time now.

I was just giving you guys a hard time about 3 minutes of video without much progress. Usually it takes more time to pick up the cant hook than it does to move the log or the rounds - those simply were not examples of that. If you want to go through life without a sense of humor then please continue. I'm out.

I was just giving you guys a hard time about 3 minutes of video without much progress. Usually it takes more time to pick up the cant hook than it does to move the log or the rounds - those simply were not examples of that. If you want to go through life without a sense of humor then please continue. I'm out.

:yoyo:....lol

Du'oh...why did I never think of setting the hook with the back of an ax before?

That's a trick I'm gonna remember :)

Sometimes that's the only way to really set it. I keep the hook pretty sharp but it still doesn't like to bite in that Ponderosa bark. It's always embarrassing, and painful, when the hook kicks out, you fall down backwards, and the Peavey handle smacks you right square on the forehead while you're laying there on the ground.. :laugh:

Easy now. I was serious when I asked for advice. That Ponderosa was end bound, side bound, and laying partially in a swale. I wanted to save out some saw logs and use the rest for firewood. That's why the rounds were coming out of the middle of the log, where there was some defect, and that's why they were wedged so tight.
There's a 32' and a couple of 16's on either side of those rounds...I sure as heck wasn't going to move those with the peavey so it was a matter of prying the rounds out.
What would you have done differently?

sometimes that's the only way to really set it. I keep the hook pretty sharp but it still doesn't like to bite in that ponderosa bark. It's always embarrassing, and painful, when the hook kicks out, you fall down backwards, and the peavey handle smacks you right square on the forehead while you're laying there on the ground.. :laugh:

yes, i like the hachet you used-great idea for me!!!!

Ok. I'm convinced. Now, which do I buy?

didnt use to have a canthook . after i turned 50 i got a canthook, a log stand, a pickeroon and everything else that could make my backs life easier.

Now that I paid the college tuition for "the boy" I guess my skid loader grapple is on hold, again! I did, however, save enough back to buy the cant hook. Is the Logrite really the "Fiskars" of the hook world? I hate to pay $150 for something that works the same as the $100 one. Which should I get? Standard? Extreme? Length? Wood? Aluminum? I'll be rolling up to 3' diameter logs. Only to choke to lift onto the trailer or roll to finish a cut. No long distance driving; that's what the skid loader is for.

A little help here boys. :msp_confused:

havent used one yet,but i going for the long handle myself,from what i gathered so far it would help me on big stuff.

Get 2, Art. Long, 6' or so, and a short one. You'll end up using them both. My preference? Wood handle, Peavy "brand" or similar.

Now that I paid the college tuition for "the boy" I guess my skid loader grapple is on hold, again! I did, however, save enough back to buy the cant hook. Is the Logrite really the "Fiskars" of the hook world? I hate to pay $150 for something that works the same as the $100 one. Which should I get? Standard? Extreme? Length? Wood? Aluminum? I'll be rolling up to 3' diameter logs. Only to choke to lift onto the trailer or roll to finish a cut. No long distance driving; that's what the skid loader is for.

A little help here boys. :msp_confused:

I've never used the Logrite but it seems to get good reviews here. A couple of guys on my volunteer trail crew have them and they get the job done alright. I've only seen one get ruined and that was because it got run over with a D-6. Without seeing your setup it's hard to say but I think I'd go with the longest handle I could get. The more leverage you have the less strain on your body.
I'll probably keep my old wood handle rig. I'm used to it and I have a spare handle in the shop.
The reason I use a peavey and not a cant hook is because you can jam the peavy into a log or the ground. They're easier to grab and harder to run over that way. Usually.

Last edited:
havent used one yet,but i going for the long handle myself,from what i gathered so far it would help me on big stuff.

You'll bust your nose a time or two before you get the hang of it. ;o)

One bit of advice learned the hard way, the Northern Tool cant hook/log lifter may be cheap, but it's also fairly useless. If I hadn't used a good one in the past, I'd have decided they were a worthless tool and gave up on em. The "bullet" nose on em won't bite enough to get a grab on anything, and I bent the log stand the first time I used it.

I was going to try regrinding the tip to get some use out of it, but I found a jaw off an old one hanging in the shed. I swapped it out and it works like a charm now. Basically I paid $40 or so for the handle. Buy good stuff here, another example of crappy tools just making your life miserable.

If I had to replace it, I'd be getting a Logrite, based on all the good reviews I've read on here.

From the many tools my dad used logging in the early sixties, the one tool that survived his several moves was a small short handled cant hook (about 36"). He had at least two longer handled hooks - a cant and a peavey but he didn't hang on to them or to his two man log carriers. He said the smaller one was more handy. Later in years he bought extra handles for it at a hardware closeout sale. I took charge of it about 25 years ago and next to my saw it was the handiest thing I had for the firewooding I did then (rarely over 20" diameter stuff). Now that I am older and most of what I cut is at least 30", I have moved on to a longer handle which many times still isn't long enough for me - particularly when I have a situation like Bob had in his video. The little guy doesn't see much use now. It still resides in my truck and sees some action moving rounds but rarely does it touch a log anymore. Moral of this story is leverage is your friend and these are very useful tools. What size you need depends upon you and your wood - maybe more on you than the wood - my dad was 40 when he was logging. He later reminisced that he was never stronger in his life and at times thought he had more strength than his arm bones could handle. He died just shy of 83. The nurses attending to him as he laid dying nicknamed him "Popeye" because his forearms were so large. A big change for a guy who went to war for us at age 17 and 123 lbs. Ron

Latest posts

Back