Can't seem to figure out replacement chain part number for P20

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRRocketMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand how to measure it properly. The protruding part of the bar seems to be about 13" which is neither 14 nor 16 and the data sheet says 16" is the minimum supplied so is it the entire bar? Then I started counting teeth and I counted 24, which is about 48 links but there are a couple teeth skipped so maybe 50 links?

I dunno, I have 2 of these P20s, both identical. They are very likely both original equipment so I just need to know which chain to buy to replace the worn one but can't seem to get a direct part number from my own searching. Only guides telling you how to figure it out, but what I figured out isn't matching what's for sale. Anybody know what the chain should be for this saw? Thanks.

Often the chain specs are stamped on the bar near the power head.

You'll need the pitch (i.e. .325 or 3/8), gauge (i.e. .050) and number of links. Which should be stamped on the bar.
Number of links does not count the cutting teeth, it's the chain itself.

You can also try the saw chain selector at baileys.com

Take the chain off count the drive links it should be standard 3/8 and I’m guessing it’s .050 but I’d measure it.

Take the chain off count the drive links it should be standard 3/8 and I’m guessing it’s .050 but I’d measure it.
I counted them and I think it's 50. Bit hard to keep track of where I started but it's definitely 50 +/- 1

The bar doesn't look like a 16". Every document I can find says it should be 16" minimum but it supposed to be measured from tip to where the bar dissappears into the saw. That's measuring about 13". Could be some odd length bar but as I mentioned, I have 2 P20s from completely different former owners both with identical bar and chain so whatever this 13" is all about, it must be a local thing? I can't seem to find anything on Bailey's other than 60 drive links, 3/8", 0.05, the latter part making sense to me but the 60 links seems a few too many. I don't have 60 links on mine now, which makes sense if the bar is 13" I guess.

Post pictures of the bar stampings and chain. If the saws are in good shape you might want to go to a 16 inch bar, it will be a k095 mount assuming it's the same as the p26 and the other saws in that family.
It is I still don’t know the difference between the p series and the numbers(ie p26 and pioneer 1074) or why pioneer had so many saws that were the same cc being built at roughly the same time their from the p20 to p28(970 to 1074) are all the same 51.4cc.

The etching is extremely faded and is for all intents and purposes gone. I'd be guessing what it says but here goes:

14 058
3 3
PIONEER
MADE IN CANADA
(indecipherable)

Count your Drive links then go to a decent saw shop and tell them you want whatever your drive link count is in 058 3/8 pitch in semi or chisel chain your choice.They will either have it or will make you a loop.This way you are dead sure you will get the correct chain providing they can count and read.
Kash

They can make custom chains? Is that expensive? I was hoping to spend less than 30 bucks. I just need something that cuts.

They can make custom chains? Is that expensive? I was hoping to spend less than 30 bucks. I just need something that cuts.
Yep you can even do it with the right tools.
But any decent saw shop should be able to spin up a loop count your drive links and bring in the old chain with you and they should be able to match it.
Btw standard 3/8 let alone 3/8 .058 is not going to be found a crappy fit best you will get is low profile and that won’t work on a standard sprocket.

Your best bet is to lay the chain out flat, make a mark on any driver with a marker, any color will do. Then count the drivers accurately, once you know the number of drivers it is easy to find a chain with the correct number of drivers with .058 gauge in 3/8" pitch.
If you cannot find a corresponding numbered chain online then a shop or anyone with the proper tools can make one from a reel of chain, very simple job it is .

Pioneer p20-p28 and 1070-1074 series saws could have may different chain options on them.
not only .050 or .058 gauge
but could be 1 of 3 different pitches.
.325 or 3/8 or the infamous.298 pitch that they made which is rare and not avaliable anymore and will have to change sprocket.
only real way to tell is take a pic And post

Pioneer p20-p28 and 1070-1074 series saws could have may different chain options on them.
not only .050 or .058 gauge
but could be 1 of 3 different pitches.
.325 or 3/8 or the infamous.298 pitch that they made which is rare and not avaliable anymore and will have to change sprocket.
only real way to tell is take a pic And post
I tried running the numbers he posted but got no listing on that bar number. The other numbers seem to imply the bar is .058 gauge and that the 3 3 could be partially worn off 3/8 but yes it`s hard to tell without a clear pic of the bar tail end.

I tried running the numbers he posted but got no listing on that bar number.
Me neither
the 3 3 could be partially worn off 3/8 but yes it`s hard to tell without a clear pic of the bar tail end.
Seems to make sense, yet all 14"/.058 bars I have for the P2x series seem to be .325 pitch. That may well be a "regional" thing (Europe here), but still. Better just measure the pitch on the old chain to make sure - easier done that deciphering worn markings me thinks.

Me neither

Seems to make sense, yet all 14"/.058 bars I have for the P2x series seem to be .325 pitch. That may well be a "regional" thing (Europe here), but still. Better just measure the pitch on the old chain to make sure - easier done that deciphering worn markings me thinks.
We will have to wait for the OP to give us more info to work with.

Back