Carbide chains which are the best for my Stihl MS 391 and Stihl 041 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbide chains are expensive, requires diamond plated tools to sharpen ( expensive ) if you loose a carbide tip you have replace that cutter. expensive and time consuming. carbide teeth are not particularly sharp as compared to steel teeth. cut slower They will cut longer in extremely abrasive conditions, reason they are used in demolition and rescue work. Standard Stilh chain will most likely get you better poduction for time invested. can easily be hand filed in the field or any of the 12 volt portable units can be used for a quick touch up.
Most chain MFG have carbide tip chains for sale, likely would have to order as not many shops wood stock them.

They are great for some applications, like working in really dirty environments, or trees that have old embedded fence wire. I also put them on saws that I loan to people who don’t know what they are doing. I think the cost is a wash. Otherwise I prefer regular chains that I can sharpen.

I agree with the guys 100%.
Having said that any brand will fit that meets your chain pitch, gauge and link count. Really no different then any standard chain. As far as I know there isn't a lot of difference from brand to brand, ie the construction of the cutter is much the same. Typically a carbide chunk brazed onto a cutter. I'd go with the cheapest brand you can find and see if you like it before going full Monty and spending lots of money.

Latest posts

Back